PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

I'm not talking about souls fans. I'm talking about the people that take threads like this one very seriously, the ones that have pretty much made it clear that they don't accept the notion that its ok to not hit 1080p or 60 fps.

Souls fans are exactly the ones that won't give it a second thought and just enjoy the game.

Erm, Souls fans including myself have heavily criticised the series for poor performance. Blight Town in Dark Souls was shocking.

The PC port of Dark Souls was a mess as well.

The alpha for Bloodborne had some FPS dips and it was the number one complaint.

Surely those screens aren't from the game, they look absolutely awful!

Looking through the NeoGaf thread there seem to be other screenshots that look far better, but there's huge discrepancies. Black Flag looked amazing compared to those screenshots. 

I smell something foul and if not wow, just wow!

Some of the better screenshots - 

1414760460-assassin-s-creed-r-unity-2014

1414755724-assassin-s-creed-r-unity-2014

Now those look way better

Still look smeared in a vaseline filter/blurry :/ NPC faces are especially horrendous. Reminds me of GTA4 on consoles.

Still look smeared in a vaseline filter/blurry :/ NPC faces are especially horrendous. Reminds me of GTA4 on consoles.

Most definitely, but there seems to be really bad images and images that look better (not great just better). I'll wait for something more official. 

Keep in mind that viewing these screenshots on a PC isn't going to be a good representation of how you're viewing them on your television. It looks blurry as hell on my screen but that's mostly cause I'm running a Retina MBP and it's upscaling the image.

Keep in mind that viewing these screenshots on a PC isn't going to be a good representation of how you're viewing them on your television. It looks blurry as hell on my screen but that's mostly cause I'm running a Retina MBP and it's upscaling the image.

It's the same for any game screenshot in here then and no one has said it's unfair for any other game? There's direct screen captures from Black Flag in the NeoGAF topic thanks to the PS4 share button and they don't look this blurry on my monitor

ps4_ac4_6.jpg

This is Ubisofts "4 years in the making built from the ground up next gen" game, so obviously people are a bit disappointed in those screenshots.

I mean look at the faces here :/

yFrs0xA.jpg

Looks awful but then that's what happens when you churn out sequels like nobody's business. Regardless of not fully pushing hardware.

Said it before, will say it again, AC needs a long hiatus.

• Like 3

Random CGI faces never look good, of course faces in AC aren't the best anyways.  I don't know why you guys want to bring up 4, black flags faces outside of a select few are pretty meh. 

Random CGI faces never look good, of course faces in AC aren't the best anyways.  I don't know why you guys want to bring up 4, black flags faces outside of a select few are pretty meh. 

They aren't CGI, they're textures and no Black Flag faces aren't great, but it's to show how sharp Black Flag looks in comparison to Unity.

I really hope people don't start treating Unity like an Xbox Exclusive now, just because we're slating it's graphics doesn't mean we're slating the Xbox One... It looks like crap on the PS4 as well.

They aren't CGI, they're textures and no Black Flag faces aren't great, but it's to show how sharp Black Flag looks in comparison to Unity.

I really hope people don't start treating Unity like an Xbox Exclusive now, just because we're slating it's graphics doesn't mean we're slating the Xbox One... It looks like crap on the PS4 as well.

Those are called CGI faces, in the industry, as in, they're not real human faces, they're computer generated images, they're fake.  They always look off to us exactly because they're fake, also why more and more games are now doing facial mocap and so on.      I'm not in a rush to buy Unity, though I will in the end, probably next month, I'm much more interested in PC benchmarks, and if images posted on some forum look blurry then we'll just have to wait and see if that's how it looks for everyone or not.

Those are called CGI faces, in the industry, as in, they're not real human faces, they're computer generated images, they're fake.  They always look off to us exactly because they're fake, also why more and more games are now doing facial mocap and so on.      I'm not in a rush to buy Unity, though I will in the end, probably next month, I'm much more interested in PC benchmarks, and if images posted on some forum look blurry then we'll just have to wait and see if that's how it looks for everyone or not.

CGI when talking about games is usually linked to full motion videos, like those in the Final Fantasy series. In other words pre-rendered opposed to something running in real time.

wow those screenshots are as blurry as last gen games. too much fxaa? maybe its kinda like a blur effect when theres movement, so it doesn't screenshot well,thats maybe why there is a discrepancy in blurriness in the screenshots above. I saw a leaked gameplay video on vimeo a few days ago(I tried to find it,but its been taken down),and it looked amazing. it looked real next gen.

CGI when talking about games is usually linked to full motion videos, like those in the Final Fantasy series. In other words pre-rendered opposed to something running in real time.

You're mixing and matching things here, I don't know why we're arguing over this, and as far as videos goes, those have, way back when Square started doing them with FF7, called FMV first and foremost.   Now if over time we've started to mix the two and interchange them, then fine, I can't say anything to that.  But CGI, Computer Generated Imagery, applies to more than just cut scene videos.   

AC Unity confirmed to be 900p on PS4. 

Looks amazing as well  :/

More here (and some pics of Black Flag to remind us how it looked in 1080p) - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=922633

Holy ######, that looks worse than Oblivion mod-ed to play on FX5200 GPUs.

Now those look way better

Still blurry as ######, missing shadows and positional lighting. What is this game for, the PS1?

EDIT: There is no way that the final version would look like that, no way.

I cannot believe this are real sceenshots.  it looks absolutely terrible on the better ones.  some screenshot look like they were from 10 years ago.

they also did say that PC version of this game is gonna require a minimum card which is equal to the one I have in 2 years old TOP OF THE RANGE gaming PC.

All of this is very fishy with AC Unity.   Really sketchy and dodgy like.   

I would hold back the need to call people out so soon.

I cannot believe this are real sceenshots.  it looks absolutely terrible on the better ones.  some screenshot look like they were from 10 years ago.

they also did say that PC version of this game is gonna require a minimum card which is equal to the one I have in 2 years old TOP OF THE RANGE gaming PC.

All of this is very fishy with AC Unity.   Really sketchy and dodgy like.   

Minimum requirements are usually like this...

Minimum requirements are usually like this...

actually, until this, my card was at least medium recommended, and in most cases - good for high settings in all games!

so i asked the COD guys about resolution during their reddit AMA, and they actually answered :laugh:

Minimum XboxOne resolution is 1360x1080, and dynamically scales from there to full 1080p. That?s over 50% increase from last year. Advanced Warfare runs native 1080p on PS4.

Both running at rock solid 60fps.

big difference from the last COD. the updated xbox one sdk is already showing massive gains. minimum is still > 900p in terms of pixels,and upscaling only one axis produces even better results than if both axis needed upscaling. more devs should use dynamic resolution, at least it will keep the fps from dropping during more hectic scenes. I don't think you would notice the resolution scaling as much as stutters. Microsoft engineers talked about how devs could use this last year.

so i asked the COD guys about resolution during their reddit AMA, and they actually answered :laugh:

big difference from the last COD. the updated xbox one sdk is already showing massive gains. minimum is still > 900p in terms of pixels,and upscaling only one axis produces even better results than if both axis needed upscaling. more devs should use dynamic resolution, at least it will keep the fps from dropping during more hectic scenes. I don't think you would notice the resolution scaling as much as stutters. Microsoft engineers talked about how devs could use this last year.

I'm fine with using dynamic scaling like that, plus the change is small, it's not going that low.   If it helps keep frame rate smooth, which is more important to a first person shooter, then good.

So same thing that Sony did with KillZone:SF but at even higher resolution.

Performance Analysis: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Xbox One campaign gameplay runs more smoothly than PlayStation 4.

After a spell in development lingering at 882p and 900p pixel-counts, it's now confirmed that the Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare uses a dynamic scaling model - rendering at resolutions between 1360x1080 to the full 1920x1080, depending on the intensity of the in-game action

Sledgehammer's ground-up rebuild of the Call of Duty engine pushes heavily on post-process effects, such as full-screen (and per-object) motion blur, a depth of field filter and a sparing use of chromatic aberration during play. As a result, the stand-off between the Xbox One's minimum 1360x1080 and PS4's full 1920x1080 is less perceptible during hectic firefights, with fast camera sweeps often blurring these high contrast edges.

The Xbox One produces a native 1920x1080 resolution too, but only in subdued moments.

In the main, asset quality is identical between the two platforms. From the handling of shadow rendering to texture detail, there's little to distinguish the Xbox One release from the PS4. But based on the first three campaign levels we've analysed in-depth, the larger disparity is in performance rather than in-game visuals.

With patch version 1.04 installed, the PS4 version's constant 1080p output comes at a price. We catch dips between the 50-60fps lines during battles through Seoul's streets - with drops to the high 40s caught when throwing the 'threat' grenades to scan the area for enemies. Even in perfectly matched scenes, the Xbox One's performance tends to hold at a perfect 60fps by comparison.

The only concession on Microsoft's platform, besides its variable resolution, is the use of adaptive v-sync. In practice, this causes frames to tear during spikes in concurrent alpha effects, or scenes involving multiple allies on-screen. While very rare, this helps the platform avoid any delay in getting the next frame on screen, in cases where the hardware's resources are unexpectedly pressed. By comparison, the PS4's approach is to engage v-sync permanently, waiting until the next frame is rendered in its entirety, causing a touch more stutter.

However, we briefly dipped into the multiplayer mode on both systems in order to gain some first impressions on resolution and frame-rate. We'll need to test this much more thoroughly across a range of maps, but initial results suggest that the dynamic resolution switch is disabled on Xbox One, leading to a static 1360x1080 presentation throughout. Meanwhile, PS4 locks to native 1080p. This is significant, bearing in mind that multiplayer is the key focus for many COD fans, but the good news is that overall gameplay frame-rates seem just as solid as our recent testing on the Gamescom and EGX builds - a state of affairs that extends to both systems.

Up until now, the PlayStation 4 version remained an enigma. Running at 1080p, its presentation remains king of course, while Microsoft's hardware only occasionally shifts up to that resolution, typically in less demanding areas. However, the less consistent 50-60fps performance level on Sony's platform is a surprising state of affairs, and bearing in mind that frame-rate is king in Call of Duty, we're surprised that the dynamic scaling tech wasn't deployed on both platforms.

On balance, it's an impressive showing for both platforms, with few obvious asset-side differences caught during our initial testing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-performance-analysis

If the frame-rate is indeed dipping on PS4, I wonder why they didn't include dynamic scaling in that version too.