PS4 and Xbox One resolution / frame rate discussion

That game would look beautiful at 640 x 400  :woot:

Joking aside, it doesn't surprise me the XB1 is not going to hit above. Even with the "extra resources" Ms have been allowing the developers to get their hands on, I don't expect to see any steady progress to 1080/60 until 6-12 months after DX11 is fully released.

Especially when the PS4 is only managing 30fps, XB doesn't stand a chance  :laugh:

That game would look beautiful at 640 x 400 :woot:

Joking aside, it doesn't surprise me the XB1 is not going to hit above. Even with the "extra resources" Ms have been allowing the developers to get their hands on, I don't expect to see any steady progress to 1080/60 until 6-12 months after DX11 is fully released.

Especially when the PS4 is only managing 30fps, XB doesn't stand a chance :laugh:

Unless games scale back other settings like texture quality or shadows I see 1080/30 being the standard for open world.

MGS5 like GZ might be 1080/60, but GZ while open isn't anything on the scale of the main game.

Unless games scale back other settings like texture quality or shadows I see 1080/30 being the standard for open world.

MGS5 like GZ might be 1080/60, but GZ while open isn't anything on the scale of the main game.

The Fox engine performance is impressive, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 1080/60 on both consoles.

The Fox engine performance is impressive, so I wouldn't be surprised if they hit 1080/60 on both consoles.

GZ ran at a very strange 720/60 on XB1 and was excluded from dynamic skies as well. MGS5 really should do better, we'll see soon enough.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-dying-light-performance-analysis

Another game, another that isn't full HD and has performance issues on Xbox One.

But the experts on here told us CPU heavy games (like Unity) should favour the One ....

We'll have a lot more to say about Dying Light in the coming days but it's safe to say that, at this point, the game runs consistently on PlayStation 4 with the Xbox One version lagging behind in certain areas, while image quality is close overall. We'll also be taking a look at the PC version of the game, which offers us the ability to scale well beyond the engine's console implementation. First impressions suggest a demanding title that seems to be CPU-limited, making it rather difficult to hit 60fps without dropping the distance slider down a great deal, but we'll have the full story later this week.

Seemingly, and unsurprisingly, the 'experts' here, aren't.

I was being sarcastic anyway.

On a more serious note, does anyone remember all the arguing over the power of the cloud? I think it's safe to say over 1 year on, graphically, it's doing jack **** like many of us argued. Some seriously ridiculous claims were made around the cloud.

• Like 2

I was being sarcastic anyway.

On a more serious note, does anyone remember all the arguing over the power of the cloud? I think it's safe to say over 1 year on, graphically, it's doing jack **** like many of us argued. Some seriously ridiculous claims were made around the cloud.

Oh, I know you were fella :-)

Yeah, those that bought into the 'cloud' and what it could and would do for the Xbox must be feeling rather silly. Anybody with half a brain knew MS were spouting nonsense.

They are still trying to fool us all - 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etlT_6zhUCI

• Like 2

Oh, I know you were fella :-)

Yeah, those that bought into the 'cloud' and what it could and would do for the Xbox must be feeling rather silly. Anybody with half a brain knew MS were spouting nonsense.

They are still trying to fool us all - 

And posts like this are just hot air with no substance. Non sequitur doesn't belong here.

Why? It's my opinion on the subject. Would it have been better if my opinion matched yours and I thought the cloud was the best thing ever and will bring graphical updates? Sorry, I'm a realist that lives and works in the field and MS were spouting, and still are, grade A, premium BS.

Well considering that I don't think the cloud is the best thing ever, nor did I think it would bring revolutionary visual upgrades I don't see what you mean by that. My point is you're coming in here and basically calling people idiots for not assuming Microsoft was outright lying to them with no basis for such assumptions to have been made in the first place. What's the point of... pointing fingers at people?

;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148930358&postcount=270

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-dying-light-performance-analysis

Another game, another that isn't full HD and has performance issues on Xbox One.

i dont have dying light yet, but wasnt it said it supports kinect features? this would obviously lead to capped reserves.

edit: supposed to

We will include support for next-gen features for both PS4 and XBOX ONE. Kinect gestures, voice commands, navigating the menus through PS4 Touchpad, and the PS4 Lightbar working with in-game flashlight, all of those features are supported in Dying Light.

http://forum.techland.pl/topic/88-dying-light-frequently-asked-questions/

and PS4 version lacks AF. yuck

We're still working on a final resolution calculation, but we're inclined to believe the PS4 renders at full 1080p, while Xbox One is operating at a reduced 1536x1080 - or something very close to it. That's a basic 20 per cent drop in the overall pixel count. However, the PS4 version suffers from a disappointing lack of anisotropic filtering, with oblique angles producing much sharper texture work on Xbox One. The game is heavy on post-processing, making native rendering resolution much less of an issue that it would be in other circumstances, but with the reduced texture filtering on PS4 there are actually scenarios where the smaller framebuffer actually produces more detail-rich scenes.

GnLjXxG.png

Throughout the experience, we noted textures loading in a bit slower on Xbox One, resulting in situations such as this where both certain object and character textures appear blurry well into a scene.

Untitled.png

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey here but posting a link to a forum post by some random person on another forum is as useful in a discussion as me posting a link to a poster who thinks he was probed by aliens on a aliens conspiracy forum to try prove aliens are visiting earth and sexually violating people.. Just cause some random guy said it on the internet in a forum it doesn't mean what they said holds any value.

;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=148930358&postcount=270

i dont have dying light yet, but wasnt it said it supports kinect features? this would obviously lead to capped reserves.

edit: supposed to

and PS4 version lacks AF. yuck

Yeah... 

On another note, the latest installment is known to be heavily supported with the cloud. Yayaya ... That stupid cloud talk again ;) I know you can not hear it anymore. What I want to say though is: your local gaming mashine does not have enough calculation power to run our game engine. I think we always communicated it that way and there is no reason not to be honest here. If you want to deliver something that has never been done before in that kind of scale, then you can not make compromises. We totally know that there are huge risks involved. But this is the route we will take. We are super confident here and can't wait to get out of the dark.

That reads more like a dig at the XB1 hardware than any sort of proof of the cloud. As usual it's always smoke and mirror statements (this game wouldn't run without the cloud!)

Yeah... 

That reads more like a dig at the XB1 hardware than any sort of proof of the cloud. As usual it's always smoke and mirror statements (this game wouldn't run without the cloud!)

would ps3 games run on sony tvs and bluray players if it wasn't for the cloud(PSNow)? 

would ps3 games run on sony tvs and bluray players if it wasn't for the cloud(PSNow)? 

That's different... We've been over this argument a million times on Neowin. Nothing is running locally in that example except the sending of the button inputs back to a central server. The whole visual experience is simply streamed video.

Untitled.png

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey here but posting a link to a forum post by some random person on another forum is as useful in a discussion as me posting a link to a poster who thinks he was probed by aliens on a aliens conspiracy forum to try prove aliens are visiting earth and sexually violating people.. Just cause some random guy said it on the internet in a forum it doesn't mean what they said holds any value.

He is a vetted Crackdown developer.

Yeah... 

Sure if you want to read it like that but it is consistent with their agenda since reveal that they have more processing power in the cloud.

That's different... We've been over this argument a million times on Neowin. Nothing is running locally in that example except the sending of the button inputs back to a central server. The whole visual experience is simply streamed video.

And you already know what Crackdown is doing, how? May be they are also planning to some part of the frame buffer and produce real unicorns out of the "inferior hardware".

Seriously, what suddenly happened to you guys? These forums were doing good for past few months, why the sudden name calling now?

Why? It's my opinion on the subject. Would it have been better if my opinion matched yours and I thought the cloud was the best thing ever and will bring graphical updates? Sorry, I'm a realist that lives and works in the field and MS were spouting, and still are, grade A, premium BS.

Dude. Unless you work at Microsoft or know exactly what they're planning to do with the cloud, keep it to yourself. People like you who are hating on things before they've even seen what's coming are really annoying.

Dude. Unless you work at Microsoft or know exactly what they're planning to do with the cloud, keep it to yourself. People like you who are hating on things before they've even seen what's coming are really annoying.

No, I don't work for Microsoft but I've been involved in cloud implementation and I'm telling you now, what MS said is utter nonsense.

alright, refresh my memory by explaining how running anything else locally affects the reception of data from a server? and in your streaming video argument, what difference does it make if the data being received is framebuffer data vs other kinds of data(ex:physics) that was computed remotely on a server gpu?

No, I don't work for Microsoft but I've been involved in cloud implementation and I'm telling you now, what MS said is utter nonsense.

Cloud is the new word for server/distributed. It's nothing new. Me and my friends are doing cloud jokes 2-3 times a week.

I can't count the number of companies selling dream using this single word. That's good marketing though.

• Like 2

If you believe so, then you don't know or understand they're planning to do with it. Cloud empowered graphics is less about realtime graphics, and more about graphics that are not directly related to user actions, and thus are less/not impacted by latency.

alright, refresh my memory by explaining how running anything else locally affects the reception of data from a server? and in your streaming video argument, what difference does it make if the data being received is framebuffer data vs other kinds of data(ex:physics) that was computed remotely on a server gpu?

How about I just ask you why we are nearly 1.5 years into this generation and no game has come about, on PC or PS4 either, which vindicates ANY of the promises/claims that were made around E3 prior to the consoles launching. All we have had is the typical dedicated servers/matchmaking.

The crackdown dev can say whatever he wants, just like the Forza devs did. Untill we get hard evidence something is being done over the cloud that can't be done locally to better efficiency such claims are fooling no one (besides the usual dedicated servers/matchmaking/online play). Plenty of open world games already out that we will easily be able to compare to crackdown when it comes out. Will be interesting indeed.

• Like 2