DTS Surround vs. 5.1 audio (Which is better?)

deck

New question!  The internets have not been forthcoming with a clear answer.

I have a Denon AVR 789 receiver and a 5.1 speaker setup.

I'm not a big fan of things like Pro Logic II, which my receiver supports (though this may be due to a lack of understanding).  IMO, I'd like the best direct audio I can get without too many bells and whistles.

My Xbox One can output audio in Stereo, 5.1, 7.1 and DTS Surround (all of which the receiver supports).  

Because I have a 5.1 speaker setup, I figure that the choices for me are 5.1 or DTS.

But which is better?  I play games (I noticed Forza 5 sounded a lot better when I turned on DTS), movies via Netflix and Blu Ray and TV.  Because of the Xbox One, everything feeds through there.

Thanks for your input!

sinlogik

I'm assuming you are asking for the difference between Dolby Digital and DTS, which both can output at 5.1.   From what I understand, and am no expert, DTS has less compression than Dolby Digital so in theory it should sound "better". DTS tracks are usually larger files and have a higher bit rate as well.  I think it also has a lot to do with how the audio was recorded since not all recordings support DTS.  If the option was there to choose either, I would listen to both and select the one that sounds best to you. 

Jeston

They are both lossy formats and the difference should be fairly minimal. You won't start to notice much until you start comparing to the lossless formats, DD-TrueHD and DTS-HD MA, which are found on most Blu-Ray movies. Unfortunately, I don't think the Xbox One is capable passing through this audio to your receiver.

+Eternal Tempest

Only evidence I can share is the following. 

I own Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Limited Edition Series.

They offered both DTS 5.1 and Dolby 5.1

Dolby base was too loud and seems to over power the rest of the speakers.

DTS sounded much better, It didn't over power / distract from the other channels yet you could still hear base from the subwolfer.

Also agree about, listen to booth and choose what sounds better to you.

Setnom

No question, go for DTS.

• 2 weeks later...
jerzdawg

Actually, you should select 5.1 uncompressed. This will give you the most natural sound, then you can adjust your settings within your reciever.

• 1 year later...
zerolimit

anyone ever figure out how to keep DTS on mp4?

neo1911

I like DTS HD MA.

I feel it has more dynamic range.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Dolby On now supports live-streaming on Android
      by Rich Woods

A couple of months ago, Dolby introduced its Dolby On app for Android, also adding Twitch integration for its iOS app. Now, the company is going for feature parity between the two platforms, as it's adding live-streaming to the Android app.

There are two ways that you can use the new live-streaming feature. First is through the native Twitch integration, and the other is through RTMP (real-time messaging protocol). To use the latter, you just have to choose the "paste your own URL" option, and then you can use it to connect to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and more.

The whole idea behind Dolby On is to let users record or stream video with the best possible audio quality. As Dolby puts it, "The value of camera quality at the moment of capture is well understood, but quality audio is often left to postproduction editing to create “good” sound." With Dolby On, it automatically adjusts things like noise reduction by doing a sound check in a countdown before the video starts recording or streaming.

The Dolby On app is free, and for the Android version, the update is available now and you can get it from the Google Play Store here.

• By Rich Woods
      Dolby On is now available for Android, and iOS gets Twitch integration
      by Rich Woods

Already available on iOS, Dolby announced that its Dolby On app is now available on Android. The app is designed for recording audio and video with the best possible sound quality.

After you tap to start recording, there will be a countdown before it starts. During that time, the app detects ambient noise and removes it, although this feature can be turned off in settings if you want. It applies effects like compression, EQ, limiting, noise reduction, spatial effects, and more.

After you record your track, you can edit it from within the app. In the app, you can toggle the Dolby button on and off, so you can easily hear the difference, and decide if this is a product that you want to keep using.

On top of the new app on Android, the iOS app is also getting a new feature. You'll now be able to stream directly from the app to Twitch. This feature isn't yet available on the new Android app.

The app is available for free from the App Store here and the Play Store here.

• By Ather Fawaz
      Tesla's biggest software update to date is now rolling out, bringing a host of new features
      by Ather Fawaz

Tesla just announced that their biggest update to date has begun rolling out today. Software Version 10.0 for Tesla's vehicles is what the automobile manufacturer is extolling as its 'biggest software update' to date. And indeed, there are a plethora of new features that come bundled in with it.

Tesla has tried to bring in a bit of everything with this update. From entertainment, music, convenience, and gaming, Version 10.0 dabbles in everything.

First up, we have Tesla Theatre, whereby customers of the Model 3, Model X, and the Model S will be able to connect their central displays to global entertainment and streaming services. Integration with Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu or Hulu + Live TV accounts to stream multimedia content while the car is parked, will now be possible. Customers in China can expect to get iQiyi and Tencent Video access. Similarly, Tesla is also making a bunch of video tutorials on Tesla Theatre to help customers learn more about their cars.

Alongside video capabilities, Tesla has also introduced Spotify premium and Ximalaya integration in addition to the currently available music and podcast offerings such as Slacker Radio and TuneIn Radio. "Car-aoke" is another feature that, as the name sounds, introduces karaoke to the Teslas with support for multiple languages.

Then there's Smart Summon. This feature does exactly what it sounds like, it summons your car from a parking lot to right in front of you. While some customers have had early access to it, Smart Summon will now be generally available to all Full-Self-Driving-enabled cars. Here's a video by a YouTube channel named Dirty Tesla showcasing the feature:

Next up, Tesla also included a feature quite similar to Google's "I'm feeling lucky". With “I’m Feeling Lucky” and “I’m Feeling Hungry” Tesla customers will now be navigated to a point of interest, a restaurant, national park, landmarks, etcetera. Search results for queries in the map will now be sorted according to the distance and users will be able to gain more information by tapping on them.

Furthermore, Tesla's dash-cam footage will now be better-managed when the car is protected with Sentry Mode. Video clips will now be stored in a separate folder in the USB and older clips will now be automatically deleted if storage space starts running short.

A new "Joe Mode" has also been included to avoid waking up sleeping passengers by lowering the sound of some chimes and bells from the vehicle. Tesla's app will now allow greater control over the car as well. Windows, temperature, defrosting, opening and closing garage doors using HomeLink will all now be doable straight from the Tesla app.

There is something for gamers too. Tesla Arcade brings the famous Cuphead to its cars in Cuphead Tesla Edition. The game's first full level will be playable using a USB controller and single-player and co-op modes will be available.

Finally, streaming and browser support for all Model 3 variants will be included in this update. With it, streaming media access to Spotify, Slacker, and TuneIn while connected to WiFi will be available.

According to Elon Musk's tweet, customers who have paid for the Full-Self-Driving option when purchasing their cars will be receiving the update first. However, within a week the update should be available to everyone over-the-air.

• By Ather Fawaz
      Updates to Bose AR SDKs bring support for iOS 13 and XCode 11, and allow faster pairing
      by Ather Fawaz

Bose Corporation, the company predominantly famous for its audio equipment, reached out to developers today, announcing an updated version of the Bose AR SDK for both iOS and Unity.

The latest version for the Bose AR SDK, v4.0.11, for iOS brings a host of new things. First up, iOS 13 is now supported alongside XCode 11. Secondly, the software has now been updated to automatically connect the Bose wearable to the last connected device without a timeout and the need to search for devices. Thirdly, the improved Bluetooth low energy (BLE) technology now allows for faster pairing between devices. There is one known issue with the update, however. Bose is saying that the app does not seamlessly support dark mode and might cause legibility issues.

The Bose AR SDK v4.0.11 release notes for iOS is as follows:

As stated before, the Unity SDK for Bose AR was updated as well. Version 4.0.3 for the Bose AR SDK for Unity changes the location of the 'plugins' directory, which will now be located within the 'Bose/Wearable' directory. Issues related to USB connectivity have seemingly been resolved in tandem. There are also a few deprecated methods and internal changes to object behavior within the framework.

The full release notes for the Bose AR SDK v4.0.3 for Unity are as follows:

Bose has also updated the firmware for Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 bringing numerous bug fixes and the ability to have different sample rates for the same sensor. You can download the latest firmware via the Bose updater.

Updates to the Android SDK are set to follow soon. For more information on Bose AR and how to develop for it, visit the official website here.

• By zikalify
      Twitter launches live video powered by Periscope for better follower engagement
      by Paul Hill

Twitter has launched a new feature that allows users to more dynamically engage with their followers. The feature lets a user launch a live video feed where up to three people can be added as guests to engage in the conversation, it builds on the previous release of audio-only live streams for iOS. The user can decide who gets to join the chat but as soon as they’re approved everyone tuning in can listen to what they’re saying.

In order to go live on Twitter, you have to swipe left on the home timeline, and tap Live in the bottom corner, if you don’t want to show your face just tap the microphone at the top right to switch to audio only. Once you’ve done that fill in the optional description which will appear as a tweet and add your location if you want people to know your location, then press ‘Go live’. Streams can be stopped by pressing the stop button in the top left.

When you go live, there will also be an option to enable guests, this will let people join a call-in list from which you can accept them into the call. For the time being, guests can only communicate with audio but Twitter does say that it’s working on a way to enable video for guests too. If you want to join someone else’s chat, you can begin watching the broadcast and then tap ‘Ask to join’, once you’re accepted you’ll get a five-second countdown before you go live and everyone watching can begin listening to what you have to say.

With so many celebrities on the platform, it’ll be interesting to see whether they begin to use this feature to engage with their fanbase.