• SuSE
    • Corel
    • Progeny Debian
    • Conectiva
    • Red Hat
    • Slackware
    • TurboLinux
    • Other, please name...

Well, i think it depends on the knowledge you have on Linux, some distros are more user friendly than other but less technical.

I know Mandrake is good for those who want to learn and get better. Slackware is more tecnical and apropriate for advanced users. It's what i think wiggle2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see why not. As long as you manage the partitions correctly and modify lilo.conf to load up different kernel image on different partition with different handle that should be fine :) :D

So what would you suggest? Have ther partitions set to the following :

/mnt/windows (Windows 98 SE)

/mnt/slackware (Slackware)

/ (Mandrake)

Or is there a more efficient method?

That could be done. You might want to manage your partition like this:

hda0 -> Windows

hda1 -> Mandrake

hda2 -> Slackware

hda4 -> SWAP

That's 3 partition which is linux-native (kernel2.4 right? :p) and 1 partition as SWAP in 1 HDD. Now I don't know if sharing swap partition would create a problem or not, but I don't think it will :p

Now editting your lilo.conf, please post your lilo.conf here if you need help. :p

G'luck :D

Originally posted by Webgraph

OK! Here's one of my most angry critics against Microsoft!

Microsoft makes lazy-ass computer programmers and users! Just because they make software so easy to use doesn't mean that you're a professional at it! The rest of the competition is also leaning towards that direction, but still, they make their programs so YOU have to think as well! And here's a tip! Linux programmers are more professional than Microsoft programmers! And please, don't argue with me on this one! Because this is STRAIGHT TRUE FACT!

Neobond (and the other admins) , I apologize in advance, but this is true!

I fail to see how either is more "professional." But I guess that would make Java programmers the most 31337 programmers because their programs can be run on multiple platforms, right?

Just because people program for different operating systems, doesn't mean they're more "professional" than anyone else.

Originally posted by Webgraph

True enough, but I know that Microsoft made computing too easy that you can hardly learn how to do things the hard way! :ponder: :paranoid: :rambo:

And the hard way is what? Programming assembly in a console? If this is about IDE's, there are IDE's for Linux, KDE has one.

If this is about API's - there's tons of API's for linux as well as for microsoft's windows. The thing that windows that has so many developers (game developers anyways) focusing on it is DirectX. Perhaps if Linux developers created a similar component to say, KDE or Gnome, more games would appear on Linux.

The other solution is one pursued by a company (the name escapes me at the moment) which is developing a wrapper (I think it's a wrapper) for DirectX similar on Wine.

I think it's arrogant to say people who program for Win32 are any less "professional" than anyone else. Especially considering that both platforms heavily depend on the same language - generally C/C++.

On a sidenote, it would make sense to write your software on the platform that the majority of the people you're marketing to. Writing software for people who don't/can't use it is, drum roll please, STUPID.

And as for the "Microsoft makes lazy-ass computer programmers and users!" comment, I've made my point with programmers already, and as for users, here's another news flash: Most people do not have the time/ability/willingness to learn linux. My 80 year old grandmother does not, I repeat, does not, give a damn about what a kernel is, how to compile software, or why compiling software so you can custom tailor it to your OS is so goddamnrific. She simply wants her computer to work so she can do her work, get her email, and browse the web. I'm not saying Linux can't do that, and I'm not saying that it's really difficult to install linux. But to an 80 year old woman who's more familiar with a slide rule than a calculator, it is.

(This isn't targeted at you Webgraph)

Exactly! You see, the source behind this is that Microsoft hogged 90% of the OS market and therefore, can make their C++ compiling software easy. Also, they didn't let the companies install Linux on some of the computers because the companies that make Linux did not stand up to the PC manufacturers and tell them to use their software and not Microsoft's counterparts. The reason why I made that comment about the lazyass programmers is that even though there were major HTML and C++ editors before Microsoft's programs, it was Microsoft that made the PC usable to the average Joe and Jane. If it weren't for the invention of Windows 95, chances are that there would be less than 2% of PC users today. Besides, when did Linux, Apple, and other OS Manufacturers make up a Start Menu prototype, the wizards, dialogs, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...
. If it weren't for the invention of Windows 95, chances are that there would be less than 2% of PC users today. Besides, when did Linux, Apple, and other OS Manufacturers make up a Start Menu prototype, the wizards, dialogs, etc.?

uhm... X was functional in '86.... where were MS back then?

btw, the best linux is the one u make urself.. www.linuxfromscratch.org

even ur 80 yr old granny can install it, if she can read that is.....

• 2 weeks later...

FreeBSD all the way too... I'm just running Linux personally atm coz I'm trying the XFS filesystem and because FreeBSD4.4 SMP performance is poor. Too bad FreeBSD5.0 has been scheduled for Nov2002. I can't await SMPng.

I'd use Linux if it was REALLY easy to use and had a good selection of programs [there are just so many handy Windows apps about].

Computers are to make life easier, and although Mandrake is easy to install, it's hard to setup [for me anyway... I don't even know how to recompile whatever it is that you recompile]. But any alternative is good.

If you're compiling the kernel though, it takes a long time and a lot of know how to configure it properly. The first time it took me three tries to be able to boot my pc. I still can't get internet :(

I love Mandrake although I hate that Mandrake makes it a pain in the ass to patch the kernel. patch doesn't work cuz it comes up with errors. I've tried everything. /usr/src only has rmps folder and not all else. ALSA won't compile without /usr/src/linux. I've installed the development package too.

Just saw this topic.

I like LFS (linuxfromscratch.org -- roll your own distribution!) for my lowly router/firewall/gateway box. If I were to use any official distribution, however, it'd definitely be Debian.

-irv