Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

The terrorists might had a way to jam the Radar! Or disable the tracking... I don't know if that's possible, so I am saying maybe based on partial ignorance.

What a sad situation. I have been following this story since the story made the internet - and it must be really hard on the family/friends of the people on the plane. I hope they start uncovering what really happened - starting with that door. It is early morning there now, so let's see what they find out.

I wonder why the 2 people with fake passports keeps getting brought up by the news so much. Are they trying to imply they were terrorists who managed to highjack it?

I wonder why the 2 people with fake passports keeps getting brought up by the news so much. Are they trying to imply they were terrorists who managed to highjack it?

It could imply such activity, yes.

It's one theory - that's all we have at this point. If anything, it exposes the security flaws/practices at the Malaysian airport, regardless if terrorism was involved or not. 

The terrorists might had a way to jam the Radar! Or disable the tracking... I don't know if that's possible, so I am saying maybe based on partial ignorance.

Probably not worth saying then.  

• Like 2

To jam a radar you have to swamp the freuqency range the target radar uses with rubbish, at a higher output than the radar uses. The radar will get swamped with fake targets it thinks is real and overloads, not physically, it just stops processing target returns and the screens will be blank. You can always pinpoint where jamming is coming from too, if the radar got jammed they'd lose all the planes, not just one. They can switch their transponder off, the gadget which tells secondary radars what their flight number, altitude and other useful info is off. But they will still be a visible blip on the primary radar. 

Its why 9\11 was such a cluster apparently. No primary radar in that area at the time, just secondary. Once they switched their secondary radar identifier off, they were invisible. 

Texas-based Freescale Semiconductor confirmed that 20 employees were passengers on Flight 370.

Can  these people help jam the radar?

To jam a radar you have to swamp the freuqency range the target radar uses with rubbish, at a higher output than the radar uses. The radar will get swamped with fake targets it thinks is real and overloads, not physically, it just stops processing target returns and the screens will be blank. You can always pinpoint where jamming is coming from too, if the radar got jammed they'd lose all the planes, not just one. They can switch their transponder off, the gadget which tells secondary radars what their flight number, altitude and other useful info is off. But they will still be a visible blip on the primary radar. 

Its why 9\11 was such a cluster apparently. No primary radar in that area at the time, just secondary. Once they switched their secondary radar identifier off, they were invisible. 

You were at Cosford, right??

Can  these people help jam the radar?

Electronically jamming a radar is not a passive process. You dump energy into doing it, and therefore, radar operators would at least be aware that jamming was occurring (most particularly the military radars nearby). It's like trying to "jam" a person speaking in a room: you need to scream gibberish loudly enough that it drowns out what the person is saying. People listening to the speaker may therefore not be able to understand what the speaker is saying, but they are aware that there's an awful lot of noise.

Of course -- News media loves to beat the Terrorist drum.

FOX News has nothing else to say tonight.

We don't know, therefore, Terrorists.

It's the evidences that led people to think Terrorists as a common sense train of thought, don't blame the media.

Even if the media doesn't keep saying "Terrorists" people will think so ANYWAY

You just LOOK at these evidences, unless you are ignorant of them.

I'm almost positive that there was primary radar. There are 2 major airports near that city. No primary radar would be incredibly stupid.

Who knows.. The last major airliner to disappear was flight 447 and much of its wreckage was found painstakingly 2 years after the accident on the seabed.

The main air frame components were, but baggage, composites etc. were floating, hence they knew where to look under the ocean.  It took them that long to retrieve it all, not to find it.

It actually took them 2 years to find the fuselage along with the black boxes

So yeah.  Pretty much what I said then.

There was a debris field located within a couple of days.  They had bodies within a week, and it took some time to find the main air frame components.

They had a debris field to go off.  They had something, and the KNEW for a fact that they had a downed air plane.

One would think that was the case and if it was, it wouldn't have taken 2 years to locate the wreckage going off the debris field.

In flight 447s case, after the initial impact debris/body find, sonars and searches of the sea yielded nothing. Search teams went back to the drawing board and searched the sea several times and finally about 2 years later Air France financed what was billed as probably the last ever search. It centred around a 10 mile radius from the flights last known location when they eventually found the wreckage. I know this because I followed that accident closely.

Back on topic,

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/10/Missing-plane-five-missed-flight/

It seems odd 5 people would check in along with their luggage but not board.