Malaysia Airlines 'loses contact with plane' (and search effort updates)

macoman

Well hell, they could have flown it to Middle Earth by now. The Elves could be reverse engineering the plane while planning their take over of the human race. :rolleyes:

What about extraterrestrial mother ships hijacking the whole airplane :D

philcruicks

So looks like it may have been off course for longer than thought and heading west.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26527439

http://my.news.yahoo.com/mh370-detected-above-malacca-straits-2-40am-062617741.html

and further info on it going off course

On Mar 11th 2014 Malaysia's Air Force reported their primary radar data suggest, the aircraft may have turned west over the Gulf of Thailand at about 1000 meters/3000 feet below the original flight level (editorial note: another possible interpretation could be: at 1000 meters of height compared to 10000 meters original level) and flown past the east coast near Khota Baru and the west coast of Malaysia near Kedah, the radar return was last seen at 02:40L near Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca, about 285nm westsouthwest of the last known (secondary) radar position. Local Police at Khota Bharu confirmed a number of locals reported lights and a low flying aircraft at Khota Bharu at an estimated height of 1000 meters/3000 feet.

source: http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

Intrestingly if you plot those 3 locations mentioned on google maps it does kinda look like it's heading for Somalia, which as noted above was possibly within range.

• Like 1

DocM

Call the SEALs & SAS, tell 'em to prep just in case.

+Dick Montage

The Air France thing has been disproved, I was right. Give up!

I don't like it when people drew comparisons that were obviously incorrect.

Which other crashed plane didn't have floating contents?

Next!

When you truly know all the FACTS, there has been NO other incidents like this one, period.

I never mentioned Air France.  You are saying no airplane ever has mysteriously gone missing without a trace?  Wrong!

You don't know any facts, you make crap up, and call it a fact.  The actions of a foolish child.

• Like 1

Hum

What about extraterrestrial mother ships hijacking the whole airplane :D

Shhh ... that's classified.

riahc3

Hello,

The cell phone ringing thing has been proved false at least 20 times in this topic alone.

Not really, but OK.

Hum

There is compelling information that puts the crash site of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 as near Pulau Perak or Silver Island, the westernmost point of Malaysia in the Straits of Malacca.

It is possible that the crash site was visited by Malaysia government officials earlier today Tuesday, including the defence minister Hishammuddin Hussein who cancelled his attendance at the scheduled daily media conference on the status of the search for the missing 777-200 and its 239 passengers and crew to participate in a search flight on the western side of the Malaysia Peninsula.

Pulau Perak is far from the previously last known radar return from MH370 on Saturday morning, when it was 162 kilometres NE of Kota Baru, heading across the Gulf of Thailand toward Vietnam on a flight to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

This is the update on the Aviation Herald site:

On Mar 11th 2014 Malaysia?s Air Force reported their primary radar data suggest, the aircraft may have turned west over the Gulf of Thailand at about 1000 meters/3000 feet below the original flight level (editorial note: another possible interpretation could be: at 1000 meters of height compared to 10000 meters original level) and flown past the east coast near Khota Baru and the west coast of Malaysia near Kedah, the radar return was last seen at 02:40L near Pulau Perak in the Straits of Malacca, about 285nm westsouthwest of the last known (secondary) radar position. Local Police at the city of Bharu confirmed a number of locals reported lights and a low flying aircraft at Bharu at an estimated height of 1000 meters/3000 feet.

FloatingFatMan

That's pretty impressively off course... I really don't see how their navigation equipment could have failed so badly... 

Dot Matrix

It's official, MH370 has reached "LOST" status, literally...

post-420821-0-26027900-1394563264.png

• Like 1

episode

As is consistent with US news channels, this is old news. Singapore sent one 2-3 days ago.

But there hasn't been any new information for a while now so time to start bringing up old stuff and rampant speculation to fill the time slots.

The article he linked to was in fact 2 days old. 

Ian W

Missing Malaysian Jet a 'Complex' Mystery: Ex-Aviation Official
NBC News

While the doomed Air France flight that vanished in 2009 over the Atlantic shares some similarities with the missing Malaysian Airlines jet, this latest case is a far more "complex" mystery, according to the man who headed France?s investigation.

With Air France Flight 447, there appeared to be no clues and no solid evidence when it disappeared from radar en route to Paris from Rio de Janeiro, said Jean-Paul Troadec, the former director of the French government?s official investigation into the crash.

But one crucial difference with the Malaysian Airlines flight is that the Air France plane had sent out automated messages just before it crashed warning of problems aboard the plane, Troadec told NBC News on Tuesday.

Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 failed to give off any indication it was in distress after leaving Kuala Lumpur on its way to Beijing. It has been missing since early Saturday local time.
Full article

mudslag

Hello,

Not really, but OK.

International calls routes a few times when it's trying to locate the phones, hence the ringing.

Hum

It's official, MH370 has reached "LOST" status, literally...

attachicon.gifLOST.PNG

You'd think they could afford a back-up radio, placed in the back of the plane somewhere.

Praetor

my only explanation is a catastrophic failure that disintegrated the plane, because i don't see how a hijack could make a whole 777 disappear, never mind the lack of any beacons (they all ceased). Also a 777 is not a Cessna; that thing is big and loud, sure you can land it in a covert airstrip but take off? no way.

Also i though because of 9/11 the cabin crew was more hijacking resilient; even an attempt would trigger one of the crew members to set of some kind of alarm and as far as i know that didn't happen.

Dot Matrix

The area where they're searching now. There's no way a plane crashed here. Somebody would have saw it.

Bic3ubQCYAA8c5c.jpg:large

webeagle12

The area where they're searching now. There's no way a plane crashed here. Somebody would have saw it.

Nope.. there is a bigger chance nobody would see anything especially in the middle of a night.

2nd - if airplane did crash there, it would be somewhere between Bukit Mertajam and Lhokseaumawe and as you see there barely any ships in that area. That where Air Force lost a radar contact.

It's easy to miss this kind of things.

Dot Matrix

Nope.. there is a bigger chance nobody would see anything especially in the middle of a night.

2nd - if airplane did crash there, it would be somewhere between Bukit Mertajam and Lhokseaumawe and as you see there barely any ships in that area. That where Air Force lost a radar contact.

You can see for miles when you're out on the open water, especially at night.

Raa

my only explanation is a catastrophic failure that disintegrated the plane,

So where's all the wreckage...

webeagle12

You can see for miles when you're out on the open water, especially at night.

It doesn't mean everybody would see something especially in the middle of a night. That all I"m saying :)

and yes I'm clueless as you are. This is defiantly one weird "accident".

Praetor

So where's all the wreckage...

Lack of wreckage doesn't mean lack of proper explanation: maybe the search crews are searching in the wrong area, after all.

Nashy

Surely if the captain had decided to deviate from the route, or there was an issue, he would have caleld it in to ATC.  I don't buy this garbage of power loss, navigation loss etc.

1.  Ram Air Turbine is available for power loss.  Would have had radios
2.  The 777 would have set of plenty of alarms to indicate it was drifting off course, or away from it's assigned altitude.

Hum

^ Maybe the pilots saw a chance to get rich, or they were over-powered, and others stole the plane.

Nashy

^ Maybe the pilots saw a chance to get rich, or they were over-powered, and others stole the plane.

As said above.  Stealing a plane of this type is pointless.  The parts can't be sold, and the plane can't be sold.

People like you, Hum, are the reason there are so many idiots on different sites believing this sort of absolute tripe.

• Like 1

Hum

^ It has happened before, in 2003.

Try reading.