Why US national flag can be so commonly used?

Do you believe that before a year I cant use Indian flag in my home but now law is changed and Indians are allowed to use flags in their homes.

Different countries different laws :)

While the US is all fine and dandy, and many freedoms are afforded there more than other places in the world, I find it neccesary to point out that while one can display the US flag, there are many rules to follow. As a result, use of the flag can be (if the law is enforced) limited, and many people can be held accountable to the law as a result of their display of the flag.

Check out this link; http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/ch1.html

Also, if you can ever find it, the Daily Show did a report on stupid reports... one such report was of a reporter who was hounding people because of how they displayed their flag... for instance, if the flag was dull, left in the rain, too close to the ground - eg; really stupid things.

You can not deface an American flag. At least to me, that's betrays freedom of expression. If I don't like the something, I'm allowed to destroy an ephogy of it. The US flag represents the country. I'm should be allowed to destroy a US flag if I don't like what the US is doing. *shrug*

That said, I'm from Canada. We have our own rules for the flag which are, in some ways, similar to that of the Americans. However, and I may be very wrong in this point, my freedom of expression regarding my flag is not as trampled as in the States. I can do what I want with it - for instance burn it. They want me to burn it privately, but it is not expressly forbiden to burn the flag wherever I want. You can check those rules out here ; http://www.canadianheritage.gc.ca/progs/cp...iquette/2_e.cfm .

~D

Capitalists can make some money by selling the U.S. flag here, there, and eveywhere by plastering it on things. It's easy money to make, whether from big business or smaller businesses. And, it doesn't hurt anybody.

Capitalists can make some money by selling the U.S. flag here, there, and eveywhere by plastering it on things. It's easy money to make, whether from big business or smaller businesses. And, it doesn't hurt anybody.

I appreciate this lifestyle. :)

yeah here in australia we can do pretty much what we like with our flag, doesnt matter what we want. i think we are very much like canada, we have more freedom then americans anyway, so i believe, i may be wrong.

Burning flags is illegal in New Zealand I think..

Why did I know that this post was one that came from "the mind of JB" when I saw the title on the front page ??

why do you guys think we cant burn our flag? we can, its part of our first amandment freedom of speech/expression

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I live in the US and im pretty sure no one would say anything if I burned the US flag on my front lawn, and if it is illegal, I highly doubt they enforce it, of course I live in california and it is a lot more liberal than most states, so maybe it would be considered worse in other states, im not sure

I think deck provided the best link yet regarding flag policies you might want to read.

There are lots of circumstances in general where when can use "patriotic" / flag-like images in clothing and the like, yet also some policies should one use something that was actually initially in existence as a true flag.

That having been said, don't know that various use of the flag is enforced by law enforcement unless something's pretty flagrantly out-of-bounds. Even then, freedom of expression can still allow a **lot**.

What can I say? "Freedom of expression" / info / communication is highly valued, and the flag is essentially a public entity, especially when it is a flag-like image "cited" various places over treatment of outright, physical flags. Even then, should someone even publicly burn one or something, it can take a lot to even be a *potential* legal issue.

A country has a lot more to do with its political system and policies, how representative its government is, what it values and why, and so on and so on, over various things that might be considered symbolic of it.

There are lots of flag guidelines for those who can adhere to proper "respect", but otherwise images of the flag are open to public use, for the most part.

(I will say that most self-respecting persons probably wouldn't bother to buy/wear U.S. flag pants or something though. It's just not a trendy thing, as much as someone might put a flag patch on a pair of jeans or something comparable.)

I live in the US and im pretty sure no one would say anything if I burned the US flag on my front lawn, and if it is illegal, I highly doubt they enforce it, of course I live in california and it is a lot more liberal than most states, so maybe it would be considered worse in other states, im not sure

A veteran might run outside and lay a beating on you though :laugh:

of course you can burn the us flag, tear it up, etc etc. you can do what you want with it as long as it is yours. there is a movement now to make it a crime to deface the flag but similar laws have been struck down in the past.

anyone remember when Rage Against the Machine went on Saturday Night live and tried to hang US flags upside down when they performed their first set? I think the producers ran on and took them off, and then told them they could play the second set like bands normally do. I might be mistaken on the details, but that was a pretty interesting incident at the time. Wonder what the reaction would be now (post-9/11)

I wonder why people get upset about an inverted American flag it has always merely been a symbol of americans in trouble.

That was the point RAtM was trying to make, America in trouble, not a anti-american sentiment.

Anyone have that picture from the Vietnam era where the police came in and beat the crap out of a guy who was burning the American flag with the pole the flag was hanging from?

Some people get offended over the use of the flag, with good reason. I think burning the flag probably is illegal, since usually lighting fires in public is not looked well upon. Maybe in your own back yard it's ok. All the same, I think if you're at the point of burning your countries flag, you might want to look into international travel.

As for wearing it on clothes and what not, well, it's our national symbol really. So it makes sense that people who are proud to live here wear it.

All the same, I think if you're at the point of burning your countries flag, you might want to look into international travel.

cheers to that

Burning the flag is not illegal, and any law that would make it so would clearly be in violation of the right to peacably assemble.

I wish I was a lawyer (did I actually say that) so I could quote something other then the first amendment on this.

As for suggesting people that burn the flag should leave, I think nothing could be more against american ideals then suggesting exile to people for voicing their opinions. Flag burning may not be the most articulate of expressions, but the first amendment doesn't end with "unless you're an idiot".

the first amendment doesn't end with "unless you're an idiot".

perhaps the "right to bear arms" ammendment should've had that bit added to the end. :laugh:

(sorry, couldnt resist)

i have experience with this!! when i was younger i was a "hardcore anarchist". some friends and i went on a spree stealing flags and burning them. to make a long story short... there was a law against flag desecration in my state and i was brought up on a felony charge. my lawyer and i challenged its constitutionality based on the first amendment. we won and the DA appealed all the way to the state supreme court. we still won. i spent 7 months in jail for theft though... which of course i deserved a punishment for. anyway... i love the freedoms i have in this country now and am pretty ashamed of what my youthful ignorance led me to do. there are members of congress and the senate who wish to amend the US constitution to protect the flag and make the first amendment not apply to it. its been close to passing before but never had quite enough votes. although i'd never do anything against the flag again i think a free country should let you show your disdain for it if you so wish. i wouldn't recommend anyone do anything to the flag though... it really p*sses off veterans - and rightly so.