'PC games have surpassed console games globally'

PC gamers get "nervous" about numbers because they fear that games will move away from their beloved PCs altogether...and we some evidence of that already with some big titles never making it to PC.  My last console was a PS3, which is now hacked and getting some use finally, I found everything about it inferior but my GF loves the damned thing and doesn't notice the graphics difference between that and my GTX 780 SLI rig...I know crazy right? 

Developers, especially early on, know they won't have worry about piracy or even cheating nearly as much with consoles and would probably be just fine with only developing for them but the nice thing now is that with the new architecture, we'll see even more for PC than last gen...I for one am looking forward to that.

That's an understandable but silly fear - not saying you're silly, just the phenomenon you describe. There was never any danger of PC gaming going away. Just because COD3 or something didn't make it to Windows/Mac OS/Linux...well, that was actually a good thing!

Never got the need to prove this point, but then again it's just part of human territorialism and the need to identify with something. Personally have been a computer/PC gamer since 1984 and console gamer since 1979...always concurrently. While my current PC is clearly more powerful than my X1 and PS4, it suffers from diminishing returns big time. Consoles may be weaker, but it's quite amazing what developers can get out of them. That stuff like Last of Us or Forza 4 or whatever runs on a system with like 450MB available RAM is quite mind blowing.

Not surprising when you consider how inferior the experience is on consoles.

Games (well, games with a good port) are better on PC, but I wouldn't go as far as calling the console experience "inferior".

If you want to play games on a couch in your living room playing them on a PC still leaves a lot to be desired.

Why would they? They have the XBox division for that, and they promote their toy.

And, to be honest, they are NOT a PC-focussed games publisher OR developer - while Microsoft Studios DOES develop and publish PC games (including recent games), it's not their main loaf of bread - it is not even as important merely to Microsoft Studios as PC gaming is to EA.  Also, to be rather blunt, why SHOULD it be?  Quite honestly, the third-party developers and publishers - including EA, Valve, Activision Blizzard, etc. - are doing a fantastic job, and have DONE that job since 1995.  If anything, the Windows application market (and especially in terms of ModernUI, though Win32 could learn some things as well) could learn things from the PC gaming space.

Naturally, let's spread some FUD about all of this...

/s

These numbers are at best highly misleading.  they make it seems like a AAA game would sell more on PC than console. which is generally not true. which is why a lot are console only. 

• Like 1

These numbers are at best highly misleading.  they make it seems like a AAA game would sell more on PC than console. which is generally not true. which is why a lot are console only. 

AAA titles for a particular console in general are there to the sell the console think Halo or Zelda or Uncharted.  But in general more money is made when they are on all platforms rather then a single platform.

AAA titles for a particular console in general are there to the sell the console think Halo or Zelda or Uncharted.  But in general more money is made when they are on all platforms rather then a single platform.

as long as all platforms sell more then the platform costs to port. and if it's just a little more it's not considered worth it.

either way it doesn't change the fact that mult plat titles rarely if ever sell more on PC than any of the other platforms alone, much less the console platforms together 

• Like 1

as long as all platforms sell more then the platform costs to port. and if it's just a little more it's not considered worth it.

either way it doesn't change the fact that mult plat titles rarely if ever sell more on PC than any of the other platforms alone, much less the console platforms together 

This is very true. The master race are true to their moniker, they are like 10th century vassals and lords. They live off the hard labor and spending of the serfs (consoles, you know where people actually buy games full price), and fancy themselves superior due to handouts from a remote emperor (Steam sales) :pacifier:

EDIT: for the record i'm a double agent who changes sides as he pleases. One minute i'm flattering Sony and MS, the next i'm standing in front of my PC going "hail Hydra!" with both arms

The article doesn't mention AAA titles, it is talking about stuff like DOTA and MMOs and the revenue they are raking in.

I think people are confusing the idea of revenue and units sold.

If you look at sales of AAA titles consoles sell far more copies. If you include games like WoW, LoL, etc. its a different picture.

Yeah but it's not like WoW, LoL etc doesn't exist. They are there and should be taken into account.

If PC players prefer to play WoW instead of CoD [insert year number here] it is their choice. Doesn't make PC gaming any less popular.

Doesn't really make them PC gamers though, does it ....

Well to be honest going by this logic i'm not sure i would consider CoD players gamers either. Lot of them just play CoD and Madden and that's it. Not like CoD is still a good serie.

From my perspective a "true" gamer is someone who play great games even the 2d indie ones. But realistically a gamer is someone who play games and pay for it.

Why would they? They have the XBox division for that, and they promote their toy.

Anyway Valve is doing the job for them ... until MS sees it as a threat and decides to kill it by spending billions over billions.

Anyway Valve is doing the job for them ... until MS sees it as a threat and decides to kill it by spending billions over billions.

Valve?

*spit*

Where's episode 3 you @%$?@&$!!?

• Like 1

Valve?

*spit*

Where's episode 3 you @%$?@&$!!?

When it's done :p

Honestly i liked Half Life and Half Life 2 but on another hand Valve is usually doing great games and i would prefer to see them working on new ips. I liked Left For Dead a lot. Portal was really good had lot of fun with it. And Dota 2 is great if it is your cup of tea.

What Valve needs to release soon is an updated Source engine. The old Source engine is really outdated.

Well to be honest going by this logic i'm not sure i would consider CoD players gamers either. Lot of them just play CoD and Madden and that's it. Not like CoD is still a good serie.

From my perspective a "true" gamer is someone who play great games even the 2d indie ones. But realistically a gamer is someone who play games and pay for it.

You just compared playing CoD to playing solitaire and farmville... 

You just compared playing CoD to playing solitaire and farmville... 

Ten years ago or even less i'd have the same reaction - i used to look at people playing Zoo Keeper on the train and scoff, i actually posted here somewhere that it's not real gaming. Used to be a real snob. Not anymore. It's gaming. It's all gaming, that's the beauty of it. Farmville and their kin introduced many people to our brand of gaming, and now they're burning the midnight oil with Civ V and Anno 2077. So it's all gaming. Which is exactly why "PC" gaming is always going to overshadow any other platform with sheer numbers. Now revenue per customer, that's an entirely different story.

EDIT: that's not to say i don't differentiate Candy Crush from Dark Souls 2...obviously they're different. But all are on the same continuum, just like a Fiat 600 and Veyron are ultimately all cars

I think people should have read and comprehended what the article is discussing. Revenue ? sales.

I think people should have read and comprehended what the article is discussing. Revenue ? sales.

No one is criticizing you for posting this, don't take it the wrong way. it's a very interesting topic. For me, it's just stating the obvious. Never had this console fear or dreaded that my precious PC gaming ways were in danger. I don't think there's even a question as to which segment is bigger, the only parameter consoles can compete with PCs is revenue per customer. Which is probably impossible to accurately measure, especially on PC due to the basically non-definable nature of the "platform".

No one is criticizing you for posting this, don't take it the wrong way. it's a very interesting topic. 

I know, I just don't think people understand what is being discussed here.

Consoles were traditionally the bigger earners for the industry, now, ironically, free-to-play games are bringing in massive revenue and have allowed the PC to overtake consoles.

I don't know why people are saying "omg, this is obvious". How was it obvious? How did people know that the roles for raising revenue had reversed? Guessed? Gut feeling? We know it now because someone actually done a study.

Sure does surprise me that PC gaming is a head of consoles in any way!

Probably shouldn't surprise me, and I'm not a gamer at all, but definitely can not stand to play games on a PC. It just seems awkward as heck on a PC!! :huh:

Sure does surprise me that PC gaming is a head of consoles in any way!

Probably shouldn't surprise me, and I'm not a gamer at all, but definitely can not stand to play games on a PC. It just seems awkward as heck on a PC!! :huh:

Depends on the game. There are games definitely better on the PC and really awkward on the console and visa versa. RTS, FPS are generally better on PC. 3rd person and driving games are generally better on consoles.