'PC games have surpassed console games globally'

+xrobwx71

PC gamers get "nervous" about numbers because they fear that games will move away from their beloved PCs altogether...and we some evidence of that already with some big titles never making it to PC.  My last console was a PS3, which is now hacked and getting some use finally, I found everything about it inferior but my GF loves the damned thing and doesn't notice the graphics difference between that and my GTX 780 SLI rig...I know crazy right? 

Developers, especially early on, know they won't have worry about piracy or even cheating nearly as much with consoles and would probably be just fine with only developing for them but the nice thing now is that with the new architecture, we'll see even more for PC than last gen...I for one am looking forward to that.

If that happened I would probably quit gaming. For me it's not about what I think is better than _____ or because I use it its better than____. I have been gaming on a PC since the middle 1990's and it's what I like, it works well for me. I have tried consoles and I just don't like it. I prefer the keyboard/mouse to a controller. That is what matters to me. Who sells more or who thinks this or that is better, means ###### to me. I will use what makes (for me) a comfortable and enjoyable experience.

neoadorable

I know, I just don't think people understand what is being discussed here.

Consoles were traditionally the bigger earners for the industry, now, ironically, free-to-play games are bringing in massive revenue and have allowed the PC to overtake consoles.

I don't know why people are saying "omg, this is obvious". How was it obvious? How did people know that the roles for raising revenue had reversed? Guessed? Gut feeling? We know it now because someone actually done a study.

It's obvious through sheer numbers. Really doubt free to play is outselling traditional gaming, one or even a few studies are not enough. Wasn't there another study a few weeks back that said just 2% of free to players actually buy anything?

Said it's obvious because there are billions of PCs literally on the planet, as opposed to a couple hundred million active consoles - even 400 million if you count Wii's. With 10:1 PCs will always sell more overall. The impression that consoles were the preferred destination is something that emerged in the last 10 years, and it was limited to our kind of gaming: the so-called AAA or hardcore variety. This impression was also cemented by just a few key franchises, it was not proven by others even within hardcore gaming: just look at Dark Souls, they went with PC to really grow the franchise, and that's as traditional as gaming can get. I reiterate my point that consoles have taken on this powerful sales engine charisma due to attach rate: console gamers are more likely to simply spend more per person. But there are far less of them than PC users.

So not a gut feeling, just logic and i guess being a gamer for 35 years now.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Chandrakant
      Sony enables PlayStation 5 SSD upgrades via M.2 slot for beta testers
      by Chandrakant Isi

Sony's PlayStation 5 shipped with a dormant M.2 expansion slot. Months after the launch, the Japanese company is now opening up the M.2 slot to beta testers. Those who like to tinker with their gaming console can boost its internal storage by adding an SSD. If you would like to give it a shot, Sony has provided an elaborate guide with some software and hardware requirements.

For starters, PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSDs with capacity ranging from 250 GB to 4 TB are advised to be used with Sony's console. The recommended sequential read speed is 5,500MB/s or faster. More importantly, you can't simply stick any SSD into the PS5. Sony requires it to feature an effective heat dissipation system. You can either go with an SSD with a built-in cooling system or buy an aftermarket cooling solution and add it yourself. However, you will have to ensure the SSD module size including the heatsink element should be less than 110 mm (L) x 25 mm (W) x 11.25 mm (H).

If all this hasn't deterred you from going ahead with the storage expansion process, it is time to ensure your system software is compatible with this feature. At this point, only the beta firmware supports the M.2 slot. So first, head over to this link to register for the PS5 beta program. It is only open for gamers in the US, Canada, Japan, UK, Germany, and France. If you are lucky enough to get selected for the beta program, the next step is to install the beta system software from Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings.

Once you have the software ready, the next part requires you to pop open your expensive PS5, which is quite hard to come by due to the global chip shortage. Hence, we recommend heading over to PlayStation.com and carefully follow the steps provided by the manufacturer.

• By Usama Jawad96
      Sony has now sold 10 million PlayStation 5 consoles
      by Usama Jawad

Yesterday, Microsoft reported revenue for the fourth quarter of its 2021 fiscal year. While the company didn't reveal exact sales figures, it did highlight that gaming revenue grew by 11% (7% in Constant Currency (CC)), with hardware revenues increasing by 172% YoY (163% in CC), making the latest Xbox devices the fastest-selling consoles in the Redmond giant's history. Today, Sony has disclosed some sales figures for its PlayStation 5 consoles as well.

Sony officially unveiled the pricing for its PlayStation 5 consoles in September 2020, and the machines were made available for purchase in November 2020. Due to strong demand, global chip shortages, and scalpers, the company has struggled to supply retailers with units.

However, Reuters now reports that Sony has confirmed to it via email that 10 million PlayStation 5 units have been sold as of July 18, 2021. For reference, it took Sony nine months to sell the same number of PlayStation 4 consoles, which makes the PS5 the company's fastest-selling console lineup in history as well.

Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Jim Ryan also admitted that the firm is facing difficulties in keeping up with the demand, saying that:

Sony also revealed that it has sold 6.5 million copies of Spider-Man: Miles Morales, though it is important to remember that the title is cross-generation. While Microsoft didn't disclose the number of Xbox units sold, Niko Partners' Senior Analyst Daniel Ahmad estimates that a total of 6.5 million Xbox Series X and Series S consoles had been sold as of June 30, 2021. The consoles were made available for purchase on November 10, a few days earlier than the PlayStation 5.

Source: Sony via Reuters

• By Chandrakant
      Nintendo's Switch OLED model set to hit the stores on October 8 for $349.99
      by Chandrakant Isi

Nintendo has added a new member to its Switch console line-up. Named rather unimaginatively, the Switch OLED model is more premium compared to the original Switch and Switch Lite.

As you may have already guessed from its name, the latest iteration of Nintendo's gaming console comes with a 7-inch OLED screen. Considering that most Nintendo games are quite colorful, this panel type is ideal to render them with full vibrancy. Unlike the Switch Lite that compromised on its hybrid chops in favor of an affordable price tag, the Switch OLED model retains its ability to transform into a home console. For the TV mode, Nintendo has thrown in a wired LAN port for a reliable connectivity option.

To offer more flexibility in the tabletop mode, the Mario-maker has made the kickstand fully adjustable. The company also claims to have enhanced the onboard speaker for better sound quality. The OLED model comes with 64GB of internal storage. Of course, the console will ship with Joy-Cons that can be detached and used for two-player games.

As per Nintendo, the Metroid Dread, a sequel to NES's Metroid, will be the launch title for the OLED model. Of course, it will also have access to an existing library of over 5,000 games including Pokemon Legends: Arceus, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, and Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne HD Remaster.

The Nintendo Switch OLED model will be available in the white set and colorful neon red/neon blue set. Priced at $349.99, the gaming console is set to hit stores on October 8.

• By hellowalkman
      AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is now available in Dota 2
      by Sayan Sen

With its display driver version 21.6.1, AMD introduced support for its long-awaited image upscaler dubbed FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR). At its launch, FSR was already present in a few titles like Anno 1800, Godfall, The Riftbreaker, Terminator: Resistance, among others, and AMD also promised that more games (image below) with the technology baked-in will follow soon. This announcement also confirmed the previously rumored game support list.

In its latest update, Valve has announced that its massively-popular online battle arena multiplayer Dota 2 is incorporating AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution. This is good news for AMD and its fans as the game becomes the most popular title to receive support for the tech and it has happened within just days of the initial announcement. Close to half a million gamers have played the game in the last 30 days according to Steam. And FSR will also help those Dota players get some extra frames without losing too much in the way of image crispness.

You can run Dota 2 using either DirectX 11 or the Vulkan API and AMD FSR will work with both. In order to enable the setting, head over to the Video options and turn the "Game Screen Render Quality" to less than 100%, and then toggle the "FidelityFX Super Resolution" checkbox on.

The update also brings the new Nemestice Storm event mode and the Nemestice Battle Pass. You can find more details about the new additions here.

• By LoneWolfSL
      Nvidia 471.11 WHQL driver brings support for Doom Eternal ray tracing and more
      by Pulasthi Ariyasinghe

Nvidia's latest driver release is primarily focused on bringing technologies like ray tracing and DLSS support to even more games including Doom Eternal, Rust, LEGO Builder’s Journey, and Escape From Tarkov, but there are some other features attached too. The WHQL-certified 471.11 Game Ready driver also has support for the Windows 10 May 2021 Update, and comes recommended for anyone picking up EA's upcoming racer F1 2021.

The Doom Eternal update carrying ray tracing capabilities alongside Nvidia DLSS for added performance will be landing on June 29. Meanwhile, Escape From Tarkov will be seeing Nvidia Reflex being implemented soon for reduced system latency. LEGO Builder’s Journey launches with ray-traced effects and DLSS later today on Steam.

Rust already received Reflex support in a previous update, and on July 1, DLSS will be enabled as the latest Nvidia technology to reach it. DLSS support has also reached games running the Vulkan API on Linux via Proton, with DirectX support planned to arrive this fall.

The GeForce Experience app has undergone some overhauls as well according to the company, improving the "FPS Counter, One-Click Automatic GPU Tuning, Freestyle filters, and HDR Screenshot Capture features." Lastly, the G-Sync compatible displays list has increased by four monitors with the driver, bringing support for the AOC AG274US4R6B and AG254FWG8R4, the ASUS VG28UQL1A, and the LG 32GN650/32GN63T.

Below are the bug fixes included in this release, and VR fans should be happy to see that the longstanding stuttering problem seems to have finally been tracked down:

Here are the open issues to keep an eye out for:

Keep in mind that come this October, Nvidia will be dropping support for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 as well as its classic Kepler architecture products — GTX 600 and 700 series.

The new 471.11 Game Ready driver is available for download on the GeForce Experience app and via the links below for standalone installations. The release notes are here.

Desktop GPUs:

Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 – Standard / DCH

Notebook GPUs:

Download: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 | Windows 10 - Standard / DCH