Aliens in general ....

One of the most controversial subjects this century :yes:, and what better place to discuss it other than Neowin :happy: ....

I'd like to know your views on whether you believe in Aliens and for what reason, now I for one do not directly believe in Aliens existing - this is due partly to my religion = Islam, and my own faith of nothing being superior than man or woman on Earth ....

So share your views on this topic, but please remember not to offend religious beliefs of other members, thanks :) ....

Radish?

I think that if we are here on Earth then who's to say there isn't some other advanced life for on another planet...whether they are above us or not. There are so many solar systems that it is highly unlikely IMO that there isn't another advanced life form on another planet.

I think there are intelligent extraterrestrial beings just because of the sheer size of the universe. I mean, there are billions upon billions of planets out there, and common sense dictates that there must be at least one which has life similar to us in terms of intelligence.

As for whether aliens have visited Earth, well, I'm pretty sure they have, but no where near as often as a lot of conspiracy theorists suggest.

Personally I think it would be a waste to have an entire Universe for just man, we aren't that special. Plus the estimated billions and billions of planets and none of them holding life. It's hard to have the right conditions as well and I'm not saying every planet out there we dont know about has life on it, but I'm sure there are thousands and thousands that have the same or similar conditions to ours and who's to say that life couldnt have started there. It would be interesting to see what would happen to most religions if or when we make contact with other life forms

No way, i so disagree with radish, im all for people and their beleifs, but you have to look at the scientific fact, that much space and you are saying that there is nothing else out there. I mean no life what so ever, i find that hard to beleive. I beleive the imposibble, parallel dimensions via black holes or warping through black holes to another point in space. I just cant fathom all the space out there and its just us, i mean what the heck are we supposed to do with it. there has to be some :alien: out there somewhere.

I am actually a Sikh, and thoroughly believe in all of the amazing stories that are written in our holy book. But then again I am also amazingly astounded by the thought of Aliens being around. I do believe in the Aliens too, but I know this contradicts my faith as it makes the idea of God obsolete. Both ideas are well explained and backed up.

I read in New Scientist earlier this year that religion may have been a produced concept created by the minds of intelects, it explained how religion may have been created by our species in our minds to explain the presence of ourselves on this planet, as at that time, science was not as advanced as we are now. That would also explain how many religious faiths concentrate on the beginning of our species, as they aim to explain them. But I stil do believe in my Sikh faith and continue to believe and learn about it, as it fascinates me beyond anything I've ever imagined.

I don't mean to be racist if any of you are offended by my opinions.

Edited by Jay_C

lol when i started writing my post there was only the original thread starter, now I have to respond.

anyway, I agree with Goten, the scienctific advances, such as the discovery of the String Theory and the possibilities it suggests are amazing, and having parallel dimensions or even the more recently suggested parallel universes can easily be backed up by the evidence, all imply that there is even more and more space out there that we still have to discover that may well support life. But again, as someone said earlier, it is hard to get the correct conditions - I read in New Scientist (yes I have subscribed :p) that the conditions for our life were created by7 accident. And also, if this was also true, then the universe most deifnitely is not for us.

I must say though, if we weren't meant to ever evolve or be alive, if life was never created, then this thread would never have been created, so it is here for a reason, for us.

Would race, religious beliefs, money or any other human factors/earthly resources "Really Matter" if humans were lower in the food chain ? ... for example

but then there's always the question of bacteria

I am actually a Sikh, and thoroughly believe in all of the amazing stories that are written in our holy book. But then again I am also amazingly astounded by the thought of Aliens being around. I do believe in the Aliens too, but I know this contradicts my faith as it makes the idea of God obsolete. Both ideas are well explained and backed up.

I read in New Scientist earlier this year that religion may have been a produced concept created by the minds of intelects, it explained how religion may have been created by our species in our minds to explain the presence of ourselves on this planet, as at that time, science was not as advanced as we are now. That would also explain how many religious faiths concentrate on the beginning of our species, as they aim to explain them. But I stil do believe in my Sikh faith and continue to believe and learn about it, as it fascinates me beyond anything I've ever imagined.

An informative post :) ....

I'm currently in the same boat as you at the moment, but my religion takes me over in the sense that Aliens don't exist - I haven't ruled it out completely though ....

In the Quran (Islamic holy book), there are meant to be references that a unique creature exists other than humans which will be realised over time, I've yet to verify this but if it were to be true - maybe an 'alien' of some sort exists ....

But as you said yourself, I'm also intrigued that if something like this could exist & always wanting to find out more, how would religious faiths of all kinds cope?, it is an interesting question that only time will tell ....

Radish?

You're a sikh, sikh person. :D

My theory regarding aliens is:

Extra-terrestrials have been to earth before and even transplanted life here.

They brought large mammals (dinosaurs) and fish.

When they returned several millennium later they found that the entire planet

had been overrun with these small, frail, bi-ped humanoid mammals and had

all but killed off their experiment with the dinosaurs.

While most of the trilogy deals less with the aliens, one pretty cool Sci Fi novel that has aliens is called janissaries by jerry pournelle

some of the back story is that there is a large alien confederation that uses humans as mercinaries, sounds a bit thin but there much more plot and its a great series by a great sci fi novel, i'd recomend it to anyone.

While most of the trilogy deals less with the aliens, one pretty cool Sci Fi novel that has aliens is called janissaries by jerry pournelle

some of the back story is that there is a large alien confederation that uses humans as mercinaries, sounds a bit thin but there much more plot and its a great series by a great sci fi novel, i'd recomend it to anyone.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: sorry to go off topic but man your avatar cracked me up.

some scientents saidthey discovered somewhat liek a 2nd planet earth. im pretty sure there's some lifeform out there, or aliens as yo uwould say. if they are like the human race, i hope they know sports, like bbq'ing and know howto make better beer than the americans :D

Our universe is HUGE and it'd be a REALLY REALLY lame place if there wasnt SOMETHING else interesting out there...but considering how long it takes for a civilization to rize and fall and how many chances a speciese has to wipe itself out/get wiped out I guess the biggest problem is us being around in the same time frame and being within reasonable distance

While I am still not sure at all, my stance is still in the process of judgement and seeking for an answer to the sole purpose of life, I do do buy the idea that Aliens in general do exist. In what form? I don't know, more intelligent than us? Probably. And I think that we are an experiment by them.

From the vastness of space and the many galaxies/solar systems/planets/satalites existing in our universe, there is a huge possibility that at least 1 body in space other than our earth has some form of living organism on it. weather they are "aliens" that have visited our planet, I hugely doubt that.

I'm also Sikh...

I do find our religion to be extraordinarely fascinating. However, my thoughts on religion and science often clash with each other. Since I'm much more of a philosopher at heart, I tend to go towards the science side since it offers more warrancy and analytical/empirical support compared to the premises that religion is predicated upon.

In this case, I do believe Aliens exist, I will not explain why because it would be redundant, the individuals who have stated why there has to be aliens in this universe have explained more than enough.

What's that one theory on it, where you mutliply the known galaxies, stars, and planets to get the probability of a intelligent alien race?

Anyways, I think it's possible. Do I know for sure? Nope, I don't think anyone does, unless they're involved in some huge government cover-up :laugh: But, given the universe's size, I think it's likely.

:alien:

if we do ever discover aliens, methinks george bush and tony blair will blow them all to smitherines because they have WMD...

...just a theory, don't take my word for it ;)

Rather then write an essay on why its very likely that we are not alone in the Universe I'd rather point you all in the direction of this very interesting program (link below, its an absolutley amazing program, I recomend that you take a look).

Download and install it, and use it for a while.

You should take into consideration the following facts:

* The abolutley mind blowing amount of stars they have mapped on this program

* The fact that despite the amount of stars mapped on this program they still have mapped less then 10% of our galaxy.

* There are so many galaxies that there could easily be one galaxy for every star in our galaxy.

After using that program and realising how small we are, and how big the universe is, try to tell me that it is not possible that life could have formed elsewhere in the universe.

Program's Website:

Celestia: A 3D Space Simulator

Direct Download Link:

Windows

Source Code, Linux, OSX

• 2 weeks later...

I believe in aliens. I think its riculous that we ar the only "intelligent" life forms in the WHOLE Universe...

I also believe its highly unlikly that so many people across the world can tell the same lie...

....hmm..

I like to believe... lol..

Personally I think it would be a waste to have an entire Universe for just man, we aren't that special. Plus the estimated billions and billions of planets and none of them holding life. It's hard to have the right conditions as well and I'm not saying every planet out there we dont know about has life on it, but I'm sure there are thousands and thousands that have the same or similar conditions to ours and who's to say that life couldnt have started there. It would be interesting to see what would happen to most religions if or when we make contact with other life forms

they funny thing is, they would have very simillar beliefs, wether it be multiple gods or what ever, it should be all simmilair, on the other hand if there bible is almost the same as ours, that would be scary