Is Neowin working on a new site design?

Vibrant color...

Yes, Neowin needs to use a light blue, and or have an option to use that.

Like look at theverge.com, engadget.com, wpcentral.com, androidcentral.com. 

The Verge is overkill

Engadget is OK, but seems on par with the current design of Neowin, not an upgrade

Mobile Nations (wpcentral,android central, imore, connectedly) has nice designs. Right now they are going through a redesign. This redesign consists of dynamically chosen articles at the top based on the page you are on, plus a nice light blue bar across the top that is touch friendly. That bar only scrolls with the page until the dynamic articles, then it recedes. I don't like bars that scroll down with you. And the worst issue is when a website has a scrolling tray across the side or bar across the bottom for social media. That always gets in the way. 

WPCentral is rolling out design changes gradually, and I am liking it so far. The comment system for there site is also going to be updated. I am happy that they tested different colors, and are now providing a palette of colors to chose from (themes).

We shall see I guess..

I, personally, think that every one of those sites are just superfluous visual noise. They don't make me want to click articles at all, they make me want to click 'X'.

This. I prefer Neowin's current design to any of those sites. In fact I don't visit any of those sites regularly, in large part because they don't appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, I think there's plenty of room for improvement and am looking forward to seeing the new design but I don't want to see Neowin copying other sites for the sake of it - usability has to come first.

I, personally, think that every one of those sites are just superfluous visual noise. They don't make me want to click articles at all, they make me want to click 'X'.

The new direction of design worries me, it's eliminating practicality and functionality for purely aesthetic click-bait. The ease of that style of design coupled with the ease of implementing jQuery/CSS transitional style effects has paved the way for ironically boring design that just leaves the impression of a visual dynamic that doesn't truly exist.

I will, however, leave room for a slight 'get-off-my-lawn' bias.

I do like Neowin's design though, Forums (although that's mostly IPB design) and all.

Same here . Also I used to visit MakeUseOf regularly but after the site redesign not so much . And light colurs make my eyes strain . My file explorer and RSS feed reader are dark themed :(

It does look alot sexier from the screenshots that much I can divulge. 

Will there be an option to reduce the font size?

Not atm, but we aren't ruling out adding such an option with post upgrade tweaking.

Could you at least tell us what the font family is going to be for body and headings? There are so many amazing fonts out there right now (especially for headings) and it could introduce a lot of identity. I've always felt the current Segoe UI makes the site feel a bit generic at times.

Could you at least tell us what the font family is going to be for body and headings? There are so many amazing fonts out there right now (especially for headings) and it could introduce a lot of identity. I've always felt the current Segoe UI makes the site feel a bit generic at times.

Comic Neue of course. :shifty:

Subs have seen screenies of some of it. Text will be 2x the size it is now, flatter, lots of white space. Rest is pretty much the same.

Where? I haven't seen any screenies D:

Edit: found already

The things that I'm excited about is having darkside as an option and the larger fonts. I struggle when I've been on for hours :p

This is why you should have not allowed it to be removed in the first place. :p

While The Verge is indeed bright and colorful and all that, I think it's a bit too much. The design I see myself most attracted to is http://www.winrumors.com/. I know Tom hasn't updated it since he moved to The Verge, but even so, it looks great. 

As for a dark version: yes please. Something with lots of whitespace and bright colours is fine during the day, but not during the night. Even with f.lux installed, a dark option is still nicer. :) 

Eagerly awaiting more details. 

I shouldn't be leaking the design but here you go:

Some info I heard from anonymous sources: the dogs are from neobond and he wanted them as the site background.

xKf15.jpg

• Like 3

off topic, but there is no way to make the social buttons disappear once you've used them?

I shouldn't be leaking the design but here you go:

Some info I heard from anonymous sources: the dogs are from neobond and he wanted them as the site background.

xKf15.jpg

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG 1337 MAD SKILLZ0rs!

off topic, but there is no way to make the social buttons disappear once you've used them?

Yes that's possible with additional code, you can also hide them yourself with stylish: 

#container #sidebar #follow {display: none !important;}