What's that message at the top of the forums? We're upgrading

I've never been a big fan of the modern design schemes like the new front page.  I guess I'm old school.  The design looks sharp I'm just not a fan.  

Will the Forums get a modern, responsive makeover?

They may get a non-responsive wrapper in a week or two. Responsive forums will come with IPB4 is out and when we decide to upgrade.

REPORT:

I don't know if this is a bug or its intended to be like this, but i can't click submenu in News header menu. For example, in the old theme, i'm always click the 'software' button to see all post about software, or 'editorial' button to see editorial only post. But now, its just hovering and show only latest post. This changed my habbit, i know the dev is working really hard, but i want it to be fixed. Overall, i liked the new design, but reminds me Winbeta, A LOT. Miss the old site actually.

I'm not sure about this. Everything is huge, and it just doesn't look or feel like Neowin anymore. It seems more like some generic tech news site now.

I also think the metro thing has been done to death, really tired of it now. Just my opinion of course.

I second that.

The appeal of Neowin always seemed to be "organized".

Neowin in my eyes has never been a "me too" website. From the beginning Neowin has been somewhat a niche pioneer in its direction. 

It went from highly specialized Windows OS "news" to a proper techsite.

Please do not dilute this site into a "me too" direction but keep focusing on organized "neowin - where unprofessional journalism looks better"

Because right now it does not look better. 

Much love Neobond and designers!

PS.

tl;dr: Generally good. Only a few small complaints that could make it better.

Maybe making the top imagines shorter/ more confined? 

Edited by FunkyMike
  • Like 2

I like the new layout as well (sans my complaint about the avatar being round). Though I don't see where you'd see notifications that the forum has unless that isn't implemented yet? If not then that is going to drive me bonkers.

its only me that see some words being somewhat cut ? Firefox 31

notice especially on the titles big font, ex : "Some Surface Pro 3 with ..... " << notice the S and 3 and e.. not fully drawn, when seeing other posted screenshots their words are ok

the same on Community Activity topics, all show that problem on font

my problem or firefox 31 problem?

Untitled.png

I do like it in general, but as others have said, those images look a little too big (I'm referring to the featured ones). I don't mind the round avatar or the 'huge' fonts.

Biggest positive for me is the darkside theme. So nice. :D

notice especially on the titles big font, ex : "Some Surface Pro 3 with ..... " << notice the S and 3 and e.. not fully drawn, when seeing other posted screenshots their words are ok

Untitled.png

looks better in firefox when you zoom out to 80%

Anyway, can't wait for the forum to be updated to the wrapper, also any timeframe on when IPB4 will be put into place?

Maybe in a week or two. I started it today while the site was down, requires a bit of work. I'm just stupid busy this week to do any major projects.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf8c2ux2ld42bxq/Screenshot%202014-08-24%2015.50.59.png?dl=0

• Like 5

the same on Community Activity topics, all show that problem on font

Do you have DirectWrite enabled?

The new design is too white for me... Only the top bar have color which is a dark blue... so the whole page looks empty somehow. And the layout is really strange now (I know I'll get used to that). But I would like some bright colors. Or atleast dark blue elements in the middle of the page (so between the news or some buttons or anything). Or dark fonts on titles.

For me it's too spacey, too much space between texts, images and articles. Makes everything come out "in your face". I want to zoom out while using the new layout.

• Like 1

For me it's too spacey, too much space between texts, images and articles. Makes everything come out "in your face". I want to zoom out while using the new layout.

I just looked it on higher resolution display(1920x1080), and on that, it looks really nice. But on a smaller screen (a laptop with 1280x720) the whole thing is too big and too white for me.

Please add software in the main navigation bar. I dislike how big everything is.Time to write css script for stylish. :s