Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

Software news is excluded*, and has always been by default. We did have a toggle to include software news, we may add this back in the near future. Look at the heading under promos, should say Latest Stories

That's what I was looking for, a way to include software along with the main news articles.  You used to have a simple "Hide/Show Software News" toggle link.  Please add that back.

Come on, Dot.

You are actually going to make me spell it out for you?

What percentage of your screen is occupied by 3 static items?

You're making the banner images worse than they actually are. And they're easily bypassed with a quick scroll of the wheel or finger. How else is Neowin to announce or promote an item?

Come on, Dot.

The real question is what percentage of me cares? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean nobody does. Course I'm used to it as I frequent Polygon and it's the same. Just took a miniscule amount of time to get used to it, but it's much nicer and I'm glad Neowin followed suit.

• Can the option for changing comment order somehow stick? I've had to change it several times to reverse the order (as it should be).
  • When I do change the order, to post a comment I have to scroll back to the top. Can the new comment box get moved when the order is changed? (Or simply be moved back to the bottom)
  • After making a comment, if the order was changed, the new comment appears on the top, not the bottom as I would expect it to be.
  • When I've scrolled down, when I scroll up so much as one line, the top header springs back down again. This forces more scrolling because I was about to read from the top and the header comes over it. Can the header not show when scrolling up until the top of the page is reached, or if the header is "moused over" (if it's not going to be stickied - the recommended option)

Trying to give feedback in a non-negative way.

I like it. Since it's more based towards the Microsoft retro look.

You spelt metro wrong. :p

Exactly.

Can you imagine the situation for those with 1366x768 screens?

Ridiculous.

That's what i'm on at the moment, and I can tell you I see almost nothing of value at first glance at the home page. I see 3 massive pictures, a header bar, 2 cut off pictures, and 3 community activity (forum) posts.

Crazy.

Edited by Raa

In my humble opinion, those targets are just a tad too large . . . For comparison, look at the size of the advertisement directly above the targets.

Y0z2cTX.png

• Can the option for changing comment order somehow stick? I've had to change it several times to reverse the order (as it should be).
Trying to give feedback in a non-negative way.

I'm also having issues getting this setting to stick. It remembers across multiple articles within a browser session, but after closing the browser and opening it again, I get the default Newest First order.

The majority of complaints have been "it sucks" and "change it back" with no real constructive criticism. 

Here's my constructive criticism:

Make the pictures smaller... make the text smaller.

In short... put it back like it was :D

But seriously... I'm using the same monitor today that I was using two days ago before the change.  But everything now looks too big and too bloated with no real benefits... in my opinion.

• Like 3

Week actually yes, you just give it under the guide of disliking it, but it really is aversion to change

Worse are the inner that seem incapable of grasping the adaptive concept, but that's for another time

Perhaps if you were able to escape your arrogant, elitist and condescending attitude, you might see that people actually do not like certain things and it doesn't mean they are scared of change.

• Like 3

Not really fond of the news size as they are simply too large and very little content is visible without scrolling,and that for the content delivery is never good. The worst offense is that commenting system does not show up or work in Opera 12.17, still my main browser.

Does it still happen in a up to date version of Opera?

Perhaps if you were able to escape your arrogant, elitist and condescending attitude, you might see that people actually do not like certain things and it doesn't mean they are scared of change.

Did I offend your poor sensitive feelings, get over it, it's very simply great of change, especially since this one is better overall

Keep it nice guys. Feedback with suggestions instead of negativity should be posted in site & forum issues.

I'll be good, I think I've stated my opinion already

Come on, Dot.

Right? Neowin staff: Look at your partner site, Techspot - they have the layout done beautifully. Yes, it's Modern/Metro inspired, which I have not a problem with at all.

Let's do a quick analysis:

1) Techspot header is much smaller - makes a huge difference. Their header is clear and concise, without taking up much space. Your header on the other hand has a large logo that is out of place, and just general empty space. 

2) Look at Techspot's tile structure - see how much content I can get from not even scrolling? 7 items (at the moment) vs. Neowin's sorta 4 major headlines - which at the moment isn't working right. See attached image - why is the second headline cut off? 

3) General readability - the fonts on the front page are just flat out too big...Many people including me are zooming out of the site, which tells you something is wrong. 

This is all on a 1080p monitor, which keep in mind is still a fairly high resolution by today's standards. The problem I have is not with the layout - your content per screen resolution is very bad compared to other sites, and the font sizes are just huge. Your competitor sites deliver far more content without having to scroll...

post-182178-0-40392500-1409018334.png

• Like 2

One latest story vs:

So you're comparing a horizontal screenshot on a tablet to a vertical screenshot of an old layout on a phone? Ok...