Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

No, I do not like the changes. I prefer list view for news sites and with the images so large it makes actual content viewable per screen much less. The new mobile experience isn't as bad as the desktop one.

• Like 2

Fun fact: People bitched and moaned about the 2010 update too.

Looking at feedback in a little bit of a negative manner, yeah?

• Like 2

No, I do not like the changes. I prefer list view for news sites and with the images so large it makes actual content viewable per screen much less. The new mobile experience isn't as bad as the desktop one.

There's a list view option -- see the two icons to the upper-right of the news stories, right below the promotional banners (like the PC giveaway we're running).

New Home Page renders with a blue background in latest Chrome. Other then that I can get use to it.

Just a heads up. Saw this was fixed earlier this morning but just now I came back to the site and we are getting a blue background again.

Just a heads up. Saw this was fixed earlier this morning but just now I came back to the site and we are getting a blue background again.

The ad was reported but I have to wait on the ad provider to pull it, sorry :( we know which ad is causing it.

I really liked the old layout, I think it was perfection at it's finest....This is going to take some serious warming up to. Everything just looks so big and over sized. It looks like it was designed with a finger in mind. It just feels like there is wasted white space were ever i Look., it's like when someone presses enter 2 too many times.

The new design sucks!  Seems like a lot of 'modern' web pages insist on having HUGE pictures and text so I can only fit about half the amount of information as before on my screen  :s

• Like 4

Fun fact: People don't like change.

Funnier Fact: For over 13 years I never had a problem with the changes done to Neowin.

I guess people that do have an opinion have voiced it and are voicing it. It shouldn't be discarded.

• Like 2

Funnier Fact: For over 13 years I never had a problem with the changes done to Neowin.

I guess people that do have an opinion have voiced it and are voicing it. It shouldn't be discarded.

It hasn't been discarded as far as I'm aware. However, like Windows 8, there are some people haven't tested the design and begin complaining that things aren't there when they are.

Also, I meant that most people are afraid of change, not all. :)

I really like the idea. You can't change a site the size of Neowin without having some minor glitches or aesthetic problems happening. Give the Dev team some time to get everything fixed and you will all grow accustomed to it. 

Looking at feedback in a little bit of a negative manner, yeah?

I think it's more realistic. The majority of complaints have been "it sucks" and "change it back" with no real constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, there were users who offered real criticism, and those are most likely the users being listened to. 

I really like the idea. You can't change a site the size of Neowin without having some minor glitches or aesthetic problems happening. Give the Dev team some time to get everything fixed and you will all grow accustomed to it. 

I think it's more realistic. The majority of complaints have been "it sucks" and "change it back" with no real constructive criticism. Don't get me wrong, there were users who offered real criticism, and those are most likely the users being listened to. 

Blanket comments tend to lump everyone together though.

I really liked the old layout, I think it was perfection at it's finest....This is going to take some serious warming up to. Everything just looks so big and over sized. It looks like it was designed with a finger in mind. It just feels like there is wasted white space were ever i Look., it's like when someone presses enter 2 too many times.

Larger fonts are easier on the eyes as well as the finger.

I can only say that we got regular complaints from guests in "Contact Us" telling us that the site was impossible to view on mobile or browse on a tablet. I know we can't make everyone happy, I just wish the subscribers were more divided over the design, they weren't so we happily assumed we did a great job :P

Blanket comments tend to lump everyone together though.

Well that's the way the internet works. Misunderstandings are wild on here. The Neowin staff have always promoted an environment where constructive feedback is not only welcomed but encouraged. 

My understanding of that comment was "People always complain about change" in a bit more colorful European language. ;)

Fonts too large.

Too much padding.

List view should be default.

Promoted image too large.

Too much wasted space.

Looks like every other website out there now. Pretty much "Hey let's use this template we found."

Generally speaking, it's fine except for being too big.  I still dislike the trend of sites toward fitting less content / fewer headers per page (even in list form, the individual entries are big ... on a 1920 x 1200 screen, maximized window, I get only 2.5 content headers, which is silly).  I personally prefer a little more content density, for a lot less scrolling.  This way feels like I've zoomed into the page with no way to zoom back out.

I think everyone browsing the site on a screen with a 1920+ viewport width can agree that the fonts and tiles are too big on such screens.

imo, it's too big for any screen. Makes me feel like I'm 80...I've never seen such big fonts on a website. Such a waste of space

In its current form I can honestly say I'll never be coming back, it's horrid, site is broke with NoScript enabled as well. One less bookmark I guess. You can call this a troll or whatever but I used to visit the Kotaku, Lifehacker, and all those other Gawker Media sites daily until the redesign, I've never been back there since.

In its current form I can honestly say I'll never be coming back, it's horrid, site is broke with NoScript enabled as well. One less bookmark I guess. You can call this a troll or whatever but I used to visit the Kotaku, Lifehacker, and all those other Gawker Media sites daily until the redesign, I've never been back there since.

I must say, while I'm no designer for Neowin, I am a designer by trade, blank critical comments like this with no actual feedback don't help and tick me off a little. At least offer feedback so they can improve

They have already adressed an ad issue, which causes script issues