Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

627 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new Neowin front page design?

do i dare to say that i usually avoid the frontpage and only comment/read frontpage news when i see them as intereting in the forums mini spy?

generally i am undecided on that one. i think it's design perfectly follows the actual modern trend. soon ennough titles will only contain 1 single word below that you have a picture to click on. :rofl:

i find it fascinating and absolutely unexplainable that for these reduced stuff (this means the trend more than neowin exclusive) you need quad core and 8gb ram and so on....

First thoughts:  Oh, that's different.

Looks like a good few other websites now but I'll get used to it.

Just want a forum theme to match.  Shame Neowin didn't release them both at the same time.

First thoughts:  Oh, that's different.

Looks like a good few other websites now but I'll get used to it.

Just want a forum theme to match.  Shame Neowin didn't release them both at the same time.

Time it takes to deal with ipb, is the reason why it always comes later.

• Like 2

I'm getting some font tearing on Chrome...

neowin_font.jpg

Also, I think the title font size is a bit too large. It doesn't need to stand out that much, it is already bold and aligned properly in relation to the image and the body.

Other than that, I like it. An improvement would be letting you move around the elements, like move the Software Updates to the top where Trending Stories and Community Activity are.

Once in List View it's absolutely perfect.  First improvement I'd make is to make that the default

I'm getting some font tearing on Chrome...

neowin_font.jpg

Also, I think the title font size is a bit too large. It doesn't need to stand out that much, it is already bold and aligned properly in relation to the image and the body.

Other than that, I like it. An improvement would be letting you move around the elements, like move the Software Updates to the top where Trending Stories and Community Activity are.

Second on the font tearing with Chrome.  However I think it's down to a well known Chrome Bug that's expected to be fixed in Chrome 37.

• Like 2

Yea, list view is much better.

Also... I think you're violating that old rule in web design regarding what the user sees on the page without scrolling being the most important impression. Making the menu header a bit thinner, the graphical tiles on top smaller, and going more consistent with the font sizes would help.

For the most part I like the new design, there are only 2 parts I would change:

1. List view should be default on desktop browsers, It looks infinitely more professional and leave Tile view for those that need/want larger images or on a mobile device.

2. Give us the option to toggle the featured section at the top of the page just like with the mini spy. I'm pretty sure a lot of the regular users will have read those stories so its a huge waste of space for us to see the same huge pictures every time we visit the front page, It looks a lot more professional/respectable imo without it.

thNF9l4.png

• Like 2

i like it but i would have prefered an option to view the list of all articles so that i can glance at the heading and click and read, right now i have to scroll a lot and news are hidden unless i click see  more

Round avatar when everything else is square?  Features at the top take too much space.

And previous design worked well with the look of the forum.  Now, it's like two different thing.

It's a generic look that you can find on many other site.

• Like 1

Round avatar when everything else is square? 

Features at the top take too much space.

And previous design worked well with the look of the forum.  Now, it's like two different thing.

1) All of the buttons in the upper right are round

2) Yes, they do

3) I'm sure the design will be migrated over to the forum at some point.

I do post updates in Site Announcements, but this is kind of a major update and if I need to post a help manual along with it then we're doing it wrong. I am disappointed that some people have complained about options that we already have in the update, complaining without bothering to look.... eg: complaining it's too bright (we added darkside) complaining that summary view is gone, (it isn't) and so forth.

You know how you guys could improve this? Start getting beta testers (think dev. previews :P) for new designs and get people's feedback.  This would hopefully allow everyone to come to a middle ground and make some more people satisfied.This is more of a personal community compared to Engadget, Verge, etc. Why not make yourselves stand out? 

The expand/collapse menu at the top has got to go, in my opinion.

I'm not a fan of the "in <forum>" lines in the Community Activity section. Get rid of them and add more topics, or just shrink the section all together. Knowing which forum a topic comes from is pretty useless.

I do post updates in Site Announcements, but this is kind of a major update and if I need to post a help manual along with it then we're doing it wrong. I am disappointed that some people have complained about options that we already have in the update, complaining without bothering to look.... eg: complaining it's too bright (we added darkside) complaining that summary view is gone, (it isn't) and so forth.

"Switch to dark-side" is not an acceptable answer for those of us who prefer the (old) default color scheme. I personally think darkside looks ugly as sin. The problem with the new default color scheme is that it has little to no contrast, at least in Chrome. It makes it's super bright and hard to find sight lines and content dividers.

This is what I see. At least with my monitor settings, I can barely see the dividers between news stories, and the background grey is almost the same color at the white content background. It just makes for a poor viewing experience.

post-186719-0-65849800-1408971746.png

The List view is a little more pleasing than the Tile view. It makes it a little closer to the old front page (which I was happy with). Change is hard :) I'm sure the new look will grow on me.

I voted no- the layout of the old was just fine you could hit it and scroll down thru articles just fine. This more "metro" layout is just another site trying to force this "metro" crap on me when I don't want it. Everything is just too darn big...now if you want to add a M to the page for people on mobile then go for it but I'm not liking it one bit. I've already left some sites before due to this type of change, I may end up leaving neowin or just skipping it altogether and just browse a few forums.

Since the votes are heading to be more No's than anything whats the chances at reverting?

• Like 3

The new design looks OK, but the problem I have is the font used for the headlines looks awful. It seems to have little 'nicks' out of the letters. Probably a rendering issue, but it's bad enough to make we want to not look at it.

Has the cloud ad been confirmed to cause the issue with the footer and the menu which allows you to change the theme. I see screenshots with others like above that have different ads than the cloud one. I always see the cloud ad now

Since the votes are heading to be more No's than anything whats the chances at reverting?

207 yes to 90 no. I don't see how that question makes any sense.

I don't know if you're still tweaking CSS or what, but the design looks broken on IE11 and even worse on Chrome. Tried clearing browser cache, still broken...