Dissapointed in the Windows 10 Tech preview so far

I know its going to get rapid updates, but I was really expecting a new OS, not Win 8.1 with a new task switcher and start menu. Its literally the same OS underneath. There's been no news of what's changed and nothing new that I can see beyond the slight visual tweaks.

If this really is the last major Windows release, things don't look good.

I know its going to get rapid updates, but I was really expecting a new OS, not Win 8.1 with a new task switcher and start menu. Its literally the same OS underneath. There's been no news of what's changed and nothing new that I can see beyond the slight visual tweaks.

I am not sure why you were expecting a new operating system. The Technical Preview is just that, a preview. There are things yet to come.

Not sure what you expected. This is always how early versions goes. And since there will be shorter dev cycles and more often updates, this is going to be the norm.

Early previews of Vista, 7 and 8 were absolutely not like this. They were brand new OS's with tons of stuff to dosciver and play around with.

what do you expect. it's called a "Tech Preview" for a reason. it's mostly to show off new/updated APIs to developers and to give enthusiasts a taste of what's to come

• Like 3

Look at it this way, its a Tech Preview of an Alpha. Joe said many many times yesterday that this was a very early unpolished build. This is essentially what it would have been like if the Alpha builds of Longhorn or Windows 7 were public. 

Edit, I don't think it matters how many times it was brought up yesterday in the keynote or the preview video that this was an alpha essentially, people will still forget that. I just hope people don't go spreading hate about Windows 10 based on this build, similar to the early hate on Windows 8. 

I think this announcement was more about Windows Insider and getting feedback. Calling it a tech preview is a little misleading as there really isn't much new, at least compared to previous preview versions of Windows.

I think this announcement was more about Windows Insider and getting feedback. Calling it a tech preview is a little misleading as there really isn't much new, at least compared to previous preview versions of Windows.

"Technical Preview" aka a preview as to whats to come, I mean I guess bringing the start menu back in a much better form. multi desktops, better gestures, scalable UI based on device isn't enough for an ALPHA?

This is exactly the same way they approached the Windows Phone 8.1 developer preview

I downloaded the preview, installed on hyper-v, tested it and play around. Them deleted the ISO and uninstalled the whole thing... This is just that, an unpolished, preview or alpha OS. Not ready for my taste yet.

I downloaded the preview, installed on hyper-v, tested it and play around. Them deleted the ISO and uninstalled the whole thing... This is just that, an unpolished, preview or alpha OS. Not ready for my taste yet.

Did you expect anything else?

What are you looking for in the future, though - more of what was in Windows 8.1, or a complete reversion to Windows 7 Service Pack 2?

Fortunately, at this point it is NOT a complete reversion.  Amazingly, there are some things in the Technical Preview that warrant continued use for me, and I expected to not be much of a fan of it.

• Like 1

Eh it's more or less what I figured sans a few features that didn't make it yet (notification center, etc).. the CP next year would be a better indicator of how it's going to look at release than this by far. It's quite unfinished at this stage of the game, long way to go and is going to change quite a lot between then and now.

once again. it's called a Tech Preview because it's mostly for Developers so they can get familiarized with the new/updated APIs

there's plenty new from that stand point

Did you expect anything else?

I thought I was going to have fun with new things but the new things that they implemented are boring. The only thing I like was the borderless theme.

• Like 2

At least tell us what were were you expecting... what d'you mean for "a new OS"?

Not only is this a very early build but it is also primarily geared towards enterprise users so there is barely any consumer stuff in this. If you were expecting Windows 10 out of this you need to wait another year. I don't think we will see anything close to the finished product until Q1/Q2 2015. Also you have to consider their rapid release cycle so when Win 10 Update 1 people will be saying that that's what 10 should've been just like Win 8 Update 1 etc...

Then I really hope you've never used or installed a Technical Preview before.  Because this is always how Microsoft's Tech Previews are like when they are starting up a new version of their OS.  Frankly, if you're not a developer, you should uninstall it, and wait for the consumer preview, which will probably come around the beginning of 2015.  Actually, from what I can see, this is a whole lot more different than their early builds are of the next OS.  Microsoft is doing a good thing making it available to basically everyone, but you should realize that this isn't about seeing all the cool new things.  

what do you expect. it's called a "Tech Preview" for a reason. it's mostly to show off new/updated APIs to developers and to give enthusiasts a taste of what's to come

No, it's not.  They were clear this was for Enterprise customers which is suits and maybe sys admins from a management perspective.  Developers will get our version at the BUILD conference in April next year.  Really this is a big "We're sorry, you can have your desktop and start menu back, we'll even pretend to listen to your suggestions" for big business IT managers and such.

• Like 3

Wondering if you saw on the news it is: "Alpha" and besides that what matters is the CORE not the UI at all.

The CORE is not changing much in Windows 10.  It's a huge UI change to try to integrate the new "Metro" apps better with the Desktop and mouse/keyboard users (while not losing solid support for touch) so that people will start actually using it.  There aren't going to be any major kernel or driver changes or anything CORE to the OS.  Unless you have a very different definition of CORE then I do.

Ok so a lot of people didn't get the point I was making - I know the visual changes and consumer features will come later. But things like kernel changes, file system changes, any major changes under the hood, a new concept like Libraries/Homegroups, things like this take along tiome and would've happened by now. We see none of this.

Do you not remember the previews for 7/8? e.g. 8 had tons of new stuff in the early builds - unified MS account, skydrive support, a new task manager, new bootloader, new kernel. Where's all of this for Win 10? Wjere's anything new at all?

It looks like this is just a UI change.

Ok so a lot of people didn't get the point I was making - I know the visual changes and consumer features will come later. But things like kernel changes, file system changes, any major changes under the hood, a new concept like Libraries/Homegroups, things like this take along tiome and would've happened by now. We see none of this.

Do you not remember the previews for 7/8? e.g. 8 had tons of new stuff in the early builds - unified MS account, skydrive support, a new task manager, new bootloader, new kernel. Where's all of this for Win 10? Wjere's anything new at all?

It looks like this is just a UI change.

How do you know they aren't there? I have been digging around and a LOT of stuff has been taken out of this build. Cortanas files are still there and so is the new notification center. Why not do some digging and see if you can find a way to enable it?