NOAA DSCOVR (Falcon 9) mission

It'll be historic in a lot of people's eyes. Even Arianespace and ULA, amid their grumblings, admit it'll be a major event.

After all, how often do you see a 14-15 story building fall out of the sky at hypersonic speeds and land upright with precision?

• Like 2

FTS Safed means they disarmed the flight termination system shaped charge explosives. They unzip the tanks & blow the propellants if the launcher goes off course.

S2 cutoff #1.

Next is a coast, then an S2 restart for the L1 escape burn.

S1 splashdown!

Another great rocket launch to watch. It was really cool to be able to see the 1st stage and the even the fairing after separation. I hope we get more launches in the evenings in the future. It sure did seem like S1 splashdown happened pretty quick after its first re-entry burn.

Nice. High performance re-entry, <10m accuracy, vertical touchdown. After all that and now more waiting. Did I read somewhere that the Grasshopper programme was winding down or defunct? Maybe I imagined it.

And another succesful mission. Excellent.

Grasshopper retired when F9R Dev-1 started flying. F9R Dev-2 starts flying tests to 300,000+ feet at SpacePort America in New Mexico this spring. That's also rumored to be where they'll test automated stage reuse processing and launch preps.

Oh my,

@elonmusk

Planning a significant upgrade of the droneship for future missions to handle literally anything. Maybe give it a Merlin for good measure :)

@DanielLockyer

@elonmusk Build it into a flying aircraft carrier like in the Avengers

@elonmusk

@DanielLockyer We could actually do that...maybe we should

:rofl:

• Like 2

Doc, that has to be one of the most profound images you've posted on your SpaceX threads yet. Thanks a ton. :yes:

Looks like someone pointing a dirty great big space cannon at Earth! :p

WE'RE DOOMED!!!

• Like 2