Winamp 5.0 Final Download Links

I PMed an internal devloper about the download.nullsoft.com link. The following is the exact responce I got from him.

/sigh

<name remoevd> wrote on 12-15-2003 04:16 PM:

Nah, we noticed that a while back. The rule we use is, if it's on download.nullsoft.com, it's public.

Although, what's odd is that the version on download.nullsoft.com is 2 days older than the version we have internally, so it's anyone's guess what's going to be released .

so fudge you all who think you have the final version. lol!

Hmm. A little bit more investigation has shown that you can get the build dated December 14 by downloading the "Pro" version that cowabunga provided the link to in this post. It will ask you to register it at the end of the install process (enter name and serial key), but just clicking cancel doesn't seem to do any harm, and if you check Winamp's about window on it, you will have the one dated December 14.

Now all that's left to see is if the guys at Nullsoft will release a new build (with an even more recent date) when the new Winamp.com homepage is updated.

Good find! Thanks!

so fudge you all who think you have the final version.  lol!

:laugh: Dec 14th Build now..."FUDGE YOU"...Idiot.. :rofl: :ninja:

:laugh: Dec 14th Build now..."FUDGE YOU"...Idiot.. :rofl: :ninja:

did you not even read the quote?

download.nullsoft.com is 2 days older than the version we have internally

:rolleyes:

you put up the correct files before you put up the linkto download it, and it's a pretty big thing to change an entire site as big as Nullsofts. Have you ever tried??

If it is final why is there no news anywhere on the winamp.com site?

This wouldn't be the first time this happened. It takes much more time and effort to update the homepage with new graphics and info than to simply upload a new build of the program into the directory where it is now located.

Especially now, since they are saying that there will be a complete new homepage on Winamp.com, and they will even be offline for a little while just to do it.

At the time you asked it still was the dec 12th version... 2 days... give it up. This has gotta be the final one if they release at all today.

12-15-2003 04:16 PM:
at the time I asked was it 30 minutes ago (the time is US central). :rolleyes:
you put up the correct files before you put up the linkto download it, and it's a pretty big thing to change an entire site as big as Nullsofts. Have you ever tried??

Actually, they have been working on the new site for a long while. They origionally thought that v5 would be released this past summer, then august, etc. The site is ready. All they need is AOL's green light to change everything.

I am going to sum up right now what is going on over there. I am an OLD member of the forums, and know a lot of the internal developers, site admins, etc, and this is what they have told me (not their own words, this is my summary)

Nullsoft is merely continuing to develop WA5. No need to stop, as there will of course be 5.1, 5.2, 5.n etc. AOL has the final say on what is released, and when. It could come down to AOL saying to release a build that is a month old, then that is what will be released. As of now, AOL has not told anyone what the final release date will be, and they won't either. Any date you here, unless it comes from AOL itself is just speculation. Most likely nullsoft will find out the day before when and what version is goign to be relased (which i suspect is due to the alpha leak and WASTE). In all honesty, almost all versions that have been released in the past month or so could be the final version. They are all rc's, or release canidates, meaning all they have to do is take off the RC from the info window and it is the final version. What this means is that in reality, anyone who has downloaded a version in the past month has a "final" version, even though it is not AOL's final version.

Strange that this Winzip 5.0 is downloadable from some ftp-server and/or mirrors ;) while it's not posted as new on the winzip-page. There you can 'only' download the 2.9x-series.

I guess I'll just wait another day, 'till it's officially posted on winzip's page :ninja:

Strange that this Winzip 5.0 is downloadable from some ftp-server and/or mirrors  while it's not posted as new on the winzip-page. There you can 'only' download the 2.9x-series.

I guess I'll just wait another day, 'till it's officially posted on winzip's page

winzip? :p