Windows 10: New leaked screenshots reveal brand new UI for Settings; death of Control Panel?

They need to release this to the public channels this is the build we are after and looks amazing :) 

Installing it now and hopefully wont be as buggy as other builds

Some compatibility issues persist (Sony's MMOs will still not run, though they will install).

Otherwise, it's at least as good as 8 or 8.x was at the same point.

They need to release this to the public channels this is the build we are after and looks amazing :) 

Installing it now and hopefully wont be as buggy as other builds

If you're patient, you'll get an even better build in January.

• Like 2

New things i notice in this new build.

- New snap animation

- Calc is now replace with metro version

- White Line under apps that are open

- Windows Update is can be only be updated through metro pc settings

- New hovering effect over open apps on task bar

So clicking through dozens of pop up boxes is "easy to use"?

Yes it is so difficult to switch to large or small icons, lets dumb it down to the regressive 1990's metro design instead.

Uh-huh. Except that looking at this screenshot, I see a couple rows of categories in a single window. Looking at my 7's control panel, I see the exact same thing. Biggest difference being a lack of finalized icons as it's a WIP. Regressive? Destruction? Anti-consumer? It's practically the same, just stylized a little differently.. lay off the rhetoric a hair eh?

Yea, the consumer is doomed.  :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, it takes maybe 2 seconds to switch to large or small icons, after that it is clear to any normal person that the control panel is far easier and more feature rich than the shamelessly regressive 1990's style metro "control panel".

Absolutely anti-consumer, anti-power user, extremely regressive in every way by comparison, metro is pure 100% backwards thinking regressive 1990's garbage no matter how you look at it.

You cannot keep something that has been deprecated. If something's missing, chances are the functionality is no longer present in Windows.

by that logic half of Microsoft Exchange should be gone... MS depreciated a LOT of the Exchange UI when Power shell started to take over.... they literally ripped a lot of the management UI out... only to slowly bring it all back over multiple versions because PowerShell just made it harder to use

Meanwhile, it takes maybe 2 seconds to switch to large or small icons, after that it is clear to any normal person that the control panel is far easier and more feature rich than the shamelessly regressive 1990's style metro "control panel".

Erm they show a different layout in those very same screenshots, and how do you know you can't do the menu style either, considering most of this is pure speculation to begin with? As a "power user" I never even look at the control panel, ever. As a person who can read it's pretty clear the layouts are near identical to what's in the previous builds versus the shamelessly regressive 1990's style FUD.  Seriously.. aside from the look, is it really a huge difference from what's currently available? Or are we just on a "baww metro" bender because it's fun?

Also, since we're on a time-warp, here's what 1990's control panel looked like.  Not quite the same thing.

win95.png

Erm they show a different layout in those very same screenshots, and how do you know you can't do the menu style either, considering most of this is pure speculation to begin with? As a "power user" I never even look at the control panel, ever. As a person who can read it's pretty clear the layouts are near identical to what's in the previous builds versus the shamelessly regressive 1990's style FUD.  Seriously.. aside from the look, is it really a huge difference from what's currently available? Or are we just on a "baww metro" bender because it's fun?

Also, since we're on a time-warp, here's what 1990's control panel looked like.  Not quite the same thing.

If you don't use the control panel then why are you defending the weak and hideous metro replacement?

The 1990's control panel is lacking in features compared to the modern windows 7 control panel, much like the metro version.

Welcome to the age of AOL all over again with metro folks, backwards thinking retro and ugliness at its best.

As much as MS likes to copy Apple you would think they would take some lessons on unification without sacrificing the desktop experience because right now Apple has totally crushed MS with unification in Yosemite.

If you don't use the control panel then why are you defending the weak and hideous metro replacement?

Because it's quite obvious that the visual style (and incomplete icons) aside it's really near identical to the previous one? And what's with the insipid AOL comment.. there are no tiles. Not defending anything but common sense and commenting against regurgitated nonsense that doesn't even apply.

And umm unified with what exactly?

The 1990's control panel is lacking in features compared to the modern windows 7 control panel, much like the metro version.

Welcome to the age of AOL all over again with metro folks, backwards thinking retro and ugliness at its best.

As much as MS likes to copy Apple you would think they would take some lessons on unification without sacrificing the desktop experience because right now Apple has totally crushed MS with unification in Yosemite.

Actually, the Settings panel has more features than the Windows 7 Control Panel. I don't see *one* Windows 8 feature in the Windows Vista era panel.

I'm confused how you compare it with AOL?

win95.png

I'd prefer that over what Control Panel became in 95 on.

Maybe that's why I like 8.x so much and am cautiously optimistic about 10. Its a reversion to the sensible design concepts of Windows 3.x, with a 21st Century look.

Actually, the Settings panel has more features than the Windows 7 Control Panel. I don't see *one* Windows 8 feature in the Windows Vista era panel.

I'm confused how you compare it with AOL?

You are wrong Dot, the modern control panel from windows 7 gives access to far more settings than the backwards thinking metro control panel, it can also have cascade menus on the modern windows 7 start menu for direct access to each setting, unlike the regressive windows 10 start menu.

I count 50 settings in the modern windows 7 control panel on my machine, only 10 on the regressive windows 10 control panel.

The metro design is very comparable to old AOL, lacking in features, ugly, boring, limiting etc..

I count 50 settings in the modern windows 7 control panel on my machine, only 10 on the regressive windows 10 control panel.

Lol. Ok. "10". Where'd you learn to count?

Because it's quite obvious that the visual style (and incomplete icons) aside it's really near identical to the previous one? And what's with the insipid AOL comment.. there are no tiles. Not defending anything but common sense and commenting against regurgitated nonsense that doesn't even apply.

And umm unified with what exactly?

Yes, now you have the same icon for each setting, no more visual indicators for quick access, we must read first, backwards thinking at its best right there folks!  :rofl:

snip

Edited by zhangm

Yes, now you have the same icon for each setting, no more visual indicators for quick access, we must read first, backwards thinking at its best right there folks!  :rofl:

Those are *temporary* icons.

• Like 2

You do understand what a work-in-progress is yea? Those obviously aren't the final icons, I don't think anyone would honestly believe that would be what the final version looks like.. well, anyone with half a clue anyway. :rolleyes:

Sure. But out of the box, it only shows 7. You know, kinda like how the screenshot looks in the first post. *golfclap*

• Like 3

Those are *temporary* icons.

Even if there were icons that can be used as visual indicators (I'm sure they will be flat and ugly) the user will have to click through menus in windows 10 instead of using the modern windows 7 method of cascade menus taking the user directly to the settings they want.

If this is true, which hasnt been proven and people are going off like it is 100 percent, then its much better than what is currently in the TP. And basically, just looks like a rehashed design of the currently category view in Win7/Win8. So they are really not far off from what is currently being used and what is the default view in Win7/8. Basically going with a pure category view and getting rid of all All Control Panel Items option. And changing the name from Control Panel, to PC Settings.

Shall have to wait and see. There are some pretty good looking concepts that have been produced over the years. Some have been fake, some have been real or close to it.

Also, whats with the last screenshot on the OP? Looks off from the others and still has the All Control Panel Items in the menu. Or am I missing something?

Right now, it's a redone Category View.

In fact, there's more in Category View (merely in 9901 alone) than in Control Panel's Category View (in 8.1 or earlier).

Order_66, did you use Category View (in Control Panel), or did you switch immediately to Small Icon view (which I admit to doing)?

In Small Icon view (in 8.x and earlier) each setting is listed in alphabetical order - no tree/branch/twig, and they are all on a  single page. (However, this view is only the default in 8 and 8.1.)

What is the default in 7 (your stated preference, Order_66) and earlier?  Believe it or not, it's Category View.

Notice that I did not compare Category View to Small Icon view - that would be quite specious at this point, since Small Icon view is not an option in Settings - instead I compared Category View in Settings to Category View in Control Panel.

What's the source for saying the icons will get updated? They did ship Windows 8 - and 8.1 - with the same generic cog icon for every single "Metro" setting so I'm not entirely reassured.

What's the source for saying the icons will get updated? They did ship Windows 8 - and 8.1 - with the same generic cog icon for every single "Metro" setting so I'm not entirely reassured.

From a search point of view, it makes sense to signify to the user "this is a setting!!!"

From a search point of view, it makes sense to signify to the user "this is a setting!!!"

I can see your point, but, really, I just want things to work. See below.

We've known for a while now that Microsoft was working to remove the duality of Windows 8. Between Control Panel and PC Settings, we've known which one would survive getting the ax - the one that can scale, and that's the new Settings app. If Windows 10 ships with the Control Panel, (And it doesn't look like it's going to be THANK GOD!) Microsoft didn't do things the way they should have.

I don't see what's so bad with the Control Panel.  At least everything is there.  Unlike the bastard child that is in Windows 8.x.  I really wish they would fixed the search feature in Windows 8.1.  It was nice that it includes "Everything", but not everything shows up, lol.  When I search for Windows Update, I'll "maybe" get the desktop Windows Update.  The Metro Windows Update doesn't give me what I need.

Also, I was searching for Mouse today to change the pointer speed and never could get the desktop one that actually has the correct settings I need, so back to the Control Panel and Mouse.

I haven't tried Win10, yet, but hopefully they'll actually flesh it out this time.

It's just speculation at this point. But given that there does seem to be an actual attempt to update the UI of Win10, and unify things (ie from an aesthetic standpoint), it seems very unlikely what we are looking at here is final.