Windows 10: New leaked screenshots reveal brand new UI for Settings; death of Control Panel?

I haven't seen this much nitpickiness in terms of a Microsoft OS since XP.

Called an opinion\observation.  Which everyone is entitled to as long as they express it properly and are not jerks.  And considering Windows is used by the majority of people, then yea...there will be more people picky about things . Always been this way and probably always will.

Called an opinion\observation.  Which everyone is entitled to as long as they express it properly and are not jerks.  And considering Windows is used by the majority of people, then yea...there will be more people picky about things . Always been this way and probably always will.

I wasn't referring to you, techbeck - I was referring to the constant "Do not change/advance!" cry-out I have been hearing since the Windows Consumer Preview (of Windows 8); and the reference to XP was indeed the last time I have heard this sheer amount of change-hostility.  It's one thing to offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; however, it's quite another to basically call for a reversion to the past.  Hardware has changed quite a bit since merely XP - and I'm just referring to desktops, laptops, and notebooks.  MIcrosoft is realizing that it can't rely JUST on desktops, laptops, and notebooks for revenues - however, have we - the USERS of Windows - realized that?  So far, from what I have been reading (on Neowin and elsewhere) we haven't realized that - despite our OWN admissions that we upgrade our OSes far less than before.  If we are, in fact, upgrading our OSes less, that means that Microsoft MUST try harder, since staying put is certainly no incentive to upgrade.  In other words, insisting that Windows not move is not merely counter-intuitive, but makes no sense at all - do we, as users, want Windows to die THAT badly?

I wasn't referring to you, techbeck - I was referring to the constant "Do not change/advance!" cry-out I have been hearing since the Windows Consumer Preview (of Windows 8); and the reference to XP was indeed the last time I have heard this sheer amount of change-hostility.  It's one thing to offer CONSTRUCTIVE criticism; however, it's quite another to basically call for a reversion to the past.  Hardware has changed quite a bit since merely XP - and I'm just referring to desktops, laptops, and notebooks.  MIcrosoft is realizing that it can't rely JUST on desktops, laptops, and notebooks for revenues - however, have we - the USERS of Windows - realized that?  So far, from what I have been reading (on Neowin and elsewhere) we haven't realized that - despite our OWN admissions that we upgrade our OSes far less than before.  If we are, in fact, upgrading our OSes less, that means that Microsoft MUST try harder, since staying put is certainly no incentive to upgrade.  In other words, insisting that Windows not move is not merely counter-intuitive, but makes no sense at all - do we, as users, want Windows to die THAT badly?

Ahh, my apologies.  :)

Just yuck. Seems they still haven't learned their lesson.

Add kiddie type toys, if you must, but for Gawd's sake leave the grown up stuff alone.

• Like 2

Just yuck. Seems they still haven't learned their lesson.

Add kiddie type toys, if you must, but for Gawd's sake leave the grown up stuff alone.

Last I checked 5 year olds liked shiny glossy plastic crap, this is the opposite of that, so I'm not sure that your point makes any sense here.

Can we please keep this on topic? This thread is about the Tech Preview's settings panel. If you're talking about anything else it belongs in a different thread. If one doesn't exist on the topic you wish to discuss you are free to create a new one.

I stopped reading when you said "W3Counter". If there is any website you shouldn't  get you statistics from, then it's W3Counter. With 12% after a year of availablity, Windows 8.1 is as popular as Windows 7.

I stopped reading when you started twisting facts however you please. Those 12% of Windows 8+8.1 together are after 2 1/2 years of availability, not after one year.

Now let's see the same numbers for Windows 7, which was released in July of 2009. Add to that 2 1/2 years, and you get January of 2012. Stats for that month are here, and we can clearly see that Windows 7 has 40.03%, even without a 7.1 release to fix the nastiest stuff - which is a huge difference to the tiny 12% that Windows 8+8.1 accrued in the same time.

I stopped reading when you started twisting facts however you please. Those 12% of Windows 8+8.1 together are after 2 1/2 years of availability, not after one year.

Now let's see the same numbers for Windows 7, which was released in July of 2009. Add to that 2 1/2 years, and you get January of 2012. Stats for that month are here, and we can clearly see that Windows 7 has 40.03%, even without a 7.1 release to fix the nastiest stuff - which is a huge difference to the tiny 12% that Windows 8+8.1 accrued in the same time.

And that is despite hardware sales that have largely been flat - which nobody disputes.

If new hardware sales have been flat, how is Microsoft going to make up for it?  With upgrades (sales to folks that have hardware that the OS can run) - whether to enterprises, via e-tail (such as Newegg, Amazon, MicroCenter, etc.) and retail - with retail being the toughest challenge.

Retail is ALWAYS the hardest challenge - and especially if you are Microsoft.

First off, there has to be interest in the new OS - when was the last time that there has been much positive buzz about an upgraded OS from Microsoft?  (For all the talk about 7, most of the positive buzz THERE came from those that despised Vista, as opposed to those that despised XP.  If anything, those that were still in love with XP actually praised the lower hardware requirements compared to 7 (supposedly) and insisted on staying put.)

Secondly, there has to be interest in the new features in the OS - not exactly easy if the countervailers have said that there are workarounds in the current OS - no matter how difficult they are in practice.  (One workaround for poor trackpad support - a major foible when it comes to laptops AND notebooks, and it goes back to XP, if not Windows NT4WS - is external mice.  It has made Logitech, Microsoft, etc., a ton of money.  A surprise in the Technical Preview - compared to all previous versions of Windows - has been MUCH improved support for trackpads.  After discovering that, can you actually blame me for bouncing rather hard off my ceiling?  Trackpads are frigging STANDARD FARE - the external mouse is the option!  Yet solid trackpad support took ten plus years, and since at least XP, to get right?  How can I honestly believe that?)

Getting past the insistence on "don't move" is never easy.  When that is, quite litterally, ALL you have, it gets even more difficult.

In the IT world post-Vista, upgrades and replacements in terms of software is all that Microsoft has had.  (I didn't rope-in an ex-Vista portable to the Technical Preview hardware-test pool for my health.)

• Like 2

This is a comparison between the Preferences/Control Panel that you yourself started. I just questioned your logic about what qualifies as "dumbed down" .

Why not properly answer to my point instead of getting into unnecessary tangent?

All I see is your hatred for everything metro clouding your judgment.

You can draw whatever conclusions you would like, I was not comparing the control panel to Apples version in regards to features, I was comparing the advancement and how not much has changed with Apple.

"Dumbed down" is exactly what microsoft is doing, anything to do with metro is in fact "dumbed down", this fact is not even debatable, compare anything metro to its modern windows 7 counterpart and you will find the metro version to be lacking in features, flexibility and/or just plain hideous to look at.

You can draw whatever conclusions you would like, I was not comparing the control panel to Apples version in regards to features, I was comparing the advancement and how not much has changed with Apple.

"Dumbed down" is exactly what microsoft is doing, anything to do with metro is in fact "dumbed down", this fact is not even debatable, compare anything metro to its modern windows 7 counterpart and you will find the metro version to be lacking in features, flexibility and/or just plain hideous to look at.

Dumbing down does not necessarily mean features or functionality is removed, with Modern UI it means simpler and easier to understand and navigate. That includes PC Settings, where eventually it will have all of CP's functionality, but without all the menu levels and random dialog boxes popping up.

• Like 2

Dumbing down does not necessarily mean features or functionality is removed, with Modern UI it means simpler and easier to understand and navigate. That includes PC Settings, where eventually it will have all of CP's functionality, but without all the menu levels and random dialog boxes popping up.

And yet with metro there are always features and functionality removed, just look at metro skype vs. the modern win32 version, "dumbed down" to an insane level, and this is already true with the metro control panel vs. the modern version found in windows 7, where's the "view by" at? that's one feature removed already, the first noticeable feature removed in the usual downward spiral of all things metro.

And yet with metro there are always features and functionality removed, just look at metro skype vs. the modern win32 version, "dumbed down" to an insane level, and this is already true with the metro control panel vs. the modern version found in windows 7, where's the "view by" at? that's one feature removed already, the first noticeable feature removed in the usual downward spiral of all things metro.

Removed? This is a LEAK build of a BETA.

• Like 2

Further, I want actual GIST - what is gone, exactly?  You keep saying that features are gone without telling us exactly what IS gone.

So far (this is in 9901, mind), I have found one UN-migrated item actually missing (however, it's a feature that my hardware does not support) - Hyper-V.  (That unsupported feature is still in Control Panel in the same build.)  However, all the features that my hardware NORMALLY supports (in that build) are present AND accounted for in Settings.  In short, could it be that Microsoft is actually concentrating on migration of the most used (by customers) features first (something that you, among others, have accused Microsoft of not doing)?

ModernUI Skype ALSO concentrates on the most-used features - and even IT doesn't roadblock installing the Win32 (desktop) version (any more than installation of the ModernUI version of Amazon's Kindle e-reader roadblocks the Win32 version).  In short, you are basically trying to make this a "contest" between ModernUI vs. Win32 - in that case, I blame the developers (Microsoft, Amazon, and others) for NOT mirroring the two versions; in case you haven't noticed (and apparently you haven't) I have whacked all three developers (Microsoft, Amazon, AND VideoLAN, LLC) for that rather glaring maneuver.  I actually DO want feature parity between ModernUI and Win32 versions of the same application from the same developer - and I want explanations as to why it isn't so.  However, I'm not letting any of the developers I've put under the hammer (and that includes Microsoft) off the hook - why are you basically making excuses for the developers?

I want feature-parity - however, I do actually get why the most-used (by customers) features are migrated first.

• Like 2

And also shows the backward direction microsoft is going.

Give me details, Order_66 - what is actually missing?

• Like 2

Further, I want actual GIST - what is gone, exactly?  You keep saying that features are gone without telling us exactly what IS gone.

I could sit here all day and point out the missing features and functionality in the metro versions.

Skype is missing countless video and audio adjustment features and functionality that help fine tune the user experience.

Want to compare metro music and video to windows media player? Same boat as Skype, missing countless audio and video adjustments, and that's just the beginning of what's missing from the metro versions.

Metro mail, I don't even have to explain what's missing in comparison to any version of outlook or even the free windows live email client, metro mail is one of the most feature lacking and dumbed down metro apps of them all.

IE11, again, the metro version is HORRIBLY lacking in features compared to the modern desktop version, metro ie11 is a complete joke.

I could sit here all day and point out the missing features and functionality in the metro versions.

Skype is missing countless video and audio adjustment features and functionality that help fine tune the user experience.

Want to compare metro music and video to windows media player? Same boat as Skype, missing countless audio and video adjustments, and that's just the beginning of what's missing from the metro versions.

Metro mail, I don't even have to explain what's missing in comparison to any version of outlook or even the free windows live email client, metro mail is one of the most feature lacking and dumbed down metro apps of them all.

IE11, again, the metro version is HORRIBLY lacking in features compared to the modern desktop version, metro ie11 is a complete joke.

Sounds like you want a feature-complete Small Icons view, ala the Control Panel in Windows 8.1 - and you want it now, not later.

I want a feature-complete Small Icon view, too - however, unlike you, I can quite understand why it's not a high priority for Microsoft just yet.

They are, in fact, still migrating features - I even pointed out that Hyper-V was not among those migrated yet.

And again you have not noticed that I am not letting ANY of the developers off the hook - not Microsoft, Amazon, the VLC team, etc., - you're sitting here making excuses for them not doing it.

And as far as to why it's missing features compared to Outlook, why SHOULD Microsoft basically cut their own throats?  Outlook is a product that Microsoft charges MONEY for - why should it give that functionality away?  (I'm an Office licensee primarily FOR Outlook - it and Word are my two most-used applications in the entire suite; if it gave that functionality away for free, I'd be rightly horked off.)  And by the by, Outlook 2013 (x64) works just fine in the Technical Preview - I use it there just fine.

• Like 2

Yet, you can still use all the non-metro version of said app.......

Metro apps is a bridge between desktop and tablet\wp\xbox. 

• Like 2

A sandboxed browser (ANY sandboxed browser) will lack features compared to an unsandboxed browser - and on purpose.  Compare sandboxed versions of Chrome and Firefox to their non-sandboxed relations - security is, in fact, the biggest reason FOR sandboxing a process, especially an Internet-facing process, such as an HTML browser.  If you can't deal with that, then you obviously aren't getting the reasoning FOR sandboxing in the first place.  While Google Chrome is sandboxed by default, Firefox is not - however, sandboxing is available as an extension for FIrefox, and an even more sandboxed version of Chrome (Chrome Iron) is available.  Further, even desktop IE11 can be tightly locked down - and it's a standard feature, called EPP Mode, and it's new with Windows 8.1 and the Technical Preview (every build to date) and Windows Server - in fact, on the server side, it's the default.  (Desktop IE11 is so locked down on Windows Server that I actually have an unsandboxed Firefox as my default there - I use Windows Server as a development platform.)

Are you SURE you aren't engaging in Microsoft-bashing just to bash the company?

Yet, you can still use all the non-metro version of said app.......

Yes, what compelling reason would I have to use a regressive metro app over a modern win32 program?

Yes, what compelling reason would I have to use a regressive metro app over a modern win32 program?

Being able to have them on your tablet or phone and still having access to it on your desktop too, that whole unified platform idea.  Choice is a funny thing.

(Desktop IE11 is so locked down on Windows Server that I actually have an unsandboxed Firefox as my default there - I use Windows Server as a development platform.)

Server IE11 is so ridiculously locked down that I think it fails in its function as a web browser. I would rather use IE6 over the horror that is PEP IE11 :P. At least I don't have to click through several dialogue boxes just to browse the internet...

Sounds like you want a feature-complete Small Icons view, ala the Control Panel in Windows 8.1 - and you want it now, not later.

I want a feature-complete Small Icon view, too - however, unlike you, I can quite understand why it's not a high priority for Microsoft just yet.

They are, in fact, still migrating features - I even pointed out that Hyper-V was not among those migrated yet.

And again you have not noticed that I am not letting ANY of the developers off the hook - not Microsoft, Amazon, the VLC team, etc., - you're sitting here making excuses for them not doing it.

And as far as to why it's missing features compared to Outlook, why SHOULD Microsoft basically cut their own throats?  Outlook is a product that Microsoft charges MONEY for - why should it give that functionality away?  (I'm an Office licensee primarily FOR Outlook - it and Word are my two most-used applications in the entire suite; if it gave that functionality away for free, I'd be rightly horked off.)  And by the by, Outlook 2013 (x64) works just fine in the Technical Preview - I use it there just fine.

You are twisting my words, I never said I "want it now, not later" for anything.

And you are simply making excuses for microsoft and their weak and backwards metro junk, making a decent metro mail app isn't going to cut into their bank account, their windows live email client didn't undercut their office sales did it?