DirtyLarry

Hey Larry, just to note

480p is 4:3

Current hi-def formats are 16:9 (which is 1.77:1 and close to the golden ratio which is around 1.6:1)

The Order is 2.4:1

Hey Soniq, Just to note.

I was not sharing what I shared because of The Order itself. I understand how it could seem that way since it is a The Order thread, however I was sharing it because of this exact comment...

I don't dislike widescreen but I don't think it makes sense to consider it inherently more artistic a format.

Indeed you are correct. The Order is actually wider ("ultra widescreen" as described by someone else) than the typical widescreen ratio thanks to the black bars. As such it is not as close to the Golden Ratio as the average widescreen that most games are.

The Order was not my point for sharing the whole argument of the Golden Ratio. That was specifically to back up the opinion for traditional widescreen itself. As I do believe just typical widescreen itself is probably "inherently a more artistic format."

With all that said, I actually do feel The Order is actually even a more artistic approach due to the extra width. But that again is just my opinion, and has nothing to do with the Golden Ratio. Just the fact I think the extra width allows for even more interesting choices compositionally.

• Like 1
gohpep

Is it really extra width if it is no wider than typical games?

BajiRav

Is it really extra width if it is no wider than typical games?

it is extra width and you are getting more in the frame if you are shooting with film. Applying the same logic to a digital frame is just plain dumb.

Why not get "extra height" as well?

It all boils down to a sorry excuse of a PR for not being able to do a full 1080p frame with target IQ.

• Like 1
gohpep

It all boils down to a sorry excuse of a PR for not being able to do a full 1080p frame with target IQ.

Yes, this artistic stuff is just an excuse. You know what makes your game more artistic? More graphics, not less.

compl3x

I wonder what cinematographers in the film industry think of all this talk about cinematics in video games?

• 4 months later...
soniqstylz

My "Way Too Late Review"

http://www.soniqstylz.com/2015/08/10/way-too-late-review-the-order-1886/

Look, I’m hard-pressed to go full out “buy this game” because of a lack of replayability and no DLC that would extend the story; but I can’t really say “rent” because it’s an incredible technical marvel and the developers at Ready At Dawn deserve to be rewarded with sales.  Because the price has dropped I would still advise to buy it, even look for a sale price if you need to.  But pick this game up, it is totally worth playing, even if you can nab the platinum in a weekend.  The easiest way to describe it is thus:The Last of Us and Heavy Rain made a baby and let it watch Underworld too many times.

For the record, I picked this up from Target, regular price $39.99 on sale for $19.99, with another 10% off via the Cartwheel app. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Usama Jawad96
      The PlayStation Network is down for certain games
      by Usama Jawad

Microsoft's Xbox Live service had an outage yesterday, resulting in gamers facing problems in connecting to it. This caused failed purchases, inability to sign in for some users, issues in launching certain games, and unavailability of xCloud gaming. While Microsoft was able to resolve the problem in six hours, it did admit that the fix took longer than anticipated to apply.

Today, it's the PlayStation Network's turn which appears to be down for several games.

According to Sony's dedicated network service status page, the PlayStation Network is facing issues in the "gaming and social" category. This affects the PlayStation Vita, 3, 4, and 5. The company cautions that:

It's unclear exactly how widespread the problem is, but the status appears to be the same across most regions including the US, UK, and Canada. Engadget reports that while some games like Fortnite and Fall Guys work just fine, players are having issues connecting to others such as Call of Duty: Warzone, Minecraft, Destruction AllStars, and Don't Starve Together.

The issue was officially confirmed by Sony on 6:33PM ET, but earlier reports point to it appearing on 1PM ET, which essentially means that it's been almost 12 hours since the partial outage began. It's currently unclear when a fix will be rolled out, but you can keep an eye on the network service status page for updates in the meantime.

• By Namerah S
      Colorful action game titled Sifu revealed at State of Play
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Sony and Soclap have jointly unveiled a new action title slated to arrive on the PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4 consoles. According to the game's website, it will also land on PC via the Epic Games Store. Duly christened Sifu, the game features a colorful world and hand-to-hand combat.

Sifu was unveiled at the State of Play virtual event held today. The PlayStation and PC title plays from a third-person perspective and follows the story of a young man who is a Kung Fu student. Revenge and martial arts appear to be some of the main themes of the upcoming title.

A summary of the game's storyline reads:

Although the announcement trailer highlights martial arts, the blurb for Sifu on its website states that players will be able to use assorted weapons as well. Some of them are detailed to be "throwable objects" and "makeshift weapons".

As of right now, no exact release date for the action game has been disclosed. All we know now is that Sifu will come out sometime in 2021.

• By Namerah S
      Oddworld: Soulstorm due out April 6, set to join PS Plus in April
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

The next installment in the Oddworld franchise was revealed quite a while back in June last year. Titled Oddworld: Soulstorm, the platform game will continue the storyline of 2014 title Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty. At the time, no exact launch date for the eccentric game was revealed.

Today at the State of Play event, Sony took the wraps off of the release date. Oddworld: Soulstorm hits the store on April 6, 2021. It will arrive on the PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC via the Epic Games Store.

Members of the monthly PlayStation Plus service get two free titles for the PlayStation 4 and one free title for the PlayStation 5 each month as long as they are active subscribers. In a surprise move, developer and publisher Oddworld Inhabitants revealed that Oddworld: Soulstorm will be April's free PS5 title for PS Plus subscribers.

PlayStation 5 users will experience immersive gameplay due to haptic feedback on the DualSense controller. Players will be able to feel the heartbeat of the game's protagonist, Abel during gameplay.

Currently, pre-orders are only open for the PC version of Oddworld: Soulstorm. Those interested in pre-purchasing the title can head to the Epic Games Store where it is priced at $19.99.

• By Namerah S
      Sony shows off PS5 gameplay for Returnal at State of Play
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Sony first announced its rogue third-person shooter Returnal at its June PlayStation 5 event last year. At today's State of Play event, further details of the game and how it played were shown off. A blog post about the same footage was also posted to the PlayStation blog.

You can catch the gameplay for the upcoming PlayStation 5 exclusive below 29 minutes and 44 seconds into the video:

Set on an alien planet, the game features a third-person perspective and fast-paced combat. A lot of the enemies that players will have to face can be seen in the clip. Each class of enemy has its own set of moves. Every time players die and rejoin the game, the map will change and they will spawn in a different location. Upon resurrection, they will also face different enemies in varying numbers to keep players on their feet.

A lot of interactable in-game items, weapons, consumables, puzzles and creatures were also showcased in the footage at the Sony event.

Developed by Housemarque, Returnal is slated to arrive on the PlayStation 5 on April 30, 2021. Pre-orders are currently open and can be placed on the PlayStation Store.