When are the reviews coming out? Review embargo until the day before release is a bad sign TBH. :/

?

Review embargoes these days are usually on the day of release. IIRC the only title I've known as of late that's gone early by a fair bit was Dragon Age Inquisition. IMO a move to try and calm fears after how bad DA2 was.

First magazine review has popped up here - https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamekyo.com%2Fblog_article356213.html (15/20)

JVM, a french magazine (which is by the way holding a Masterclass Keynote this Thursday in Paris with Ru Weerasuriya from Ready At Dawn Studios) has published its review of the new PS4 Big Exclusive ahead of the launch day this Friday. They said that despite the pacing of the game not so good due to a lot of cut scenes (although interactive at some point with QTE)representing half of the game that last for them 7-8 hours on easy mode, the first new IP from RAD looks absolutely gorgeous, with some good shooter gameplay with only some bad stealth part, a very good soundtrack and voice acting but most of all, the atmosphere of the game as well as the universe of The Order is so compelling that you want to completely dive in and immerse yourself !

?

Review embargoes these days are usually on the day of release. IIRC the only title I've known as of late that's gone early by a fair bit was Dragon Age Inquisition. IMO a move to try and calm fears after how bad DA2 was.

First magazine review has popped up here - https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamekyo.com%2Fblog_article356213.html (15/20)

Same score as Ryse!

When are the reviews coming out? Review embargo until the day before release is a bad sign TBH. :/

Sunset Overdrive's embargo lifted the day before release? :huh: Which btw could be completed in the space of a free day on XBL. Didn't seem to bother any of you then..

• Like 2

I personally think that The Order looks pretty good. 

I think there is a lot of double standards though...

I do remember Ryse being knocked for being a pretty QTE fest on rails...

Ryse was linear but it's actually a pretty good game... And believe it or not, the MP is super fun... Couldn't stand the micro-transactions, but still fun...  You could right now fire up Ryse and play MP and have a blast

TitanFall was was knocked for not having a campaign mode.  Respawn, went nuts supporting the game for several months after release.. In which TF was kept fresh.

Now don't get me wrong, The Order looks amazing (and not just graphically)... It just looks like a blast to play...But if the game is that short, without anything else to do, how can $60 be justified.

TitanFall got plenty of paid and free content...  Ryse had campaign and multi-player...

Now if RAD, support the game post launch, rather it be paid dlc or free content, then that's cool...  

Sunset Overdrive's embargo lifted the day before release? :huh: Which btw could be completed in the space of a free day on XBL. Didn't seem to bother any of you then..

I think that the issue with the embargo isn't the real problem. It's the concerns with game length. If it hadn't received the flack that it has had, no-one would bat an eyelid at the embargo. Embargo + supposed short gameplay = concerns

Look at what happened with Unity, people started sharing gameplay showing how broken the game was, people started getting worried about how bad the game was and it was compounded by the review embargo. 

Sunset Overdrive on the other hand, no real negative press before release and people care less. 

We also have the other end of the scale where Horizon 2 had it's review a week before release, now that's confidence

I think that the issue with the embargo isn't the real problem. It's the concerns with game length. If it hadn't received the flack that it has had, no-one would bat an eyelid at the embargo. Embargo + supposed short gameplay = concerns

Look at what happened with Unity, people started sharing gameplay showing how broken the game was, people started getting worried about how bad the game was and it was compounded by the review embargo. 

Sunset Overdrive on the other hand, no real negative press before release and people care less. 

We also have the other end of the scale where Horizon 2 had it's review a week before release, now that's confidence

The tip for everyone has always been to wait for reviews before purchasing. Embargoes are old news, especially on the day ones, so anyone who is obsessed with pre-ordering is simply a fool parted with their money on many occasions. The day before is better than a lot of on the day games, so you can see them the day before you potentially go into a store to buy.

The comment above yours as well as Baji's first post is simply compounding the strange obsession that has followed The Order to do everything to tar it before we even have reviews of it. This started way before length worries even arose with the black bar ratio/resolution drama and due to the dev saying the game was opting for a cinematic/story approach.

Just let the reviews speak for themselves, we only have one more day to wait. Too many hours wasted online arguing over this game (not so much on Neowin, but my god, on NeoGAF it's crazy).

The comment above yours as well as Baji's first post is simply compounding the strange obsession that has followed The Order to do everything to tar it before we even have reviews of it. This started way before length worries even arose with the black bar/resolution drama and due to the dev saying the game was opting for cinematic/story approach.

While true, this reminds me of the same obsession and drama that followed Ryse through the release. It's a never ending circle of baiting, and really, it doesn't help the gaming industry at all.

Just let the reviews speak for themselves, we only have one more day to wait. Too many hours wasted online arguing over this game (not so much on Neowin, but my god, on NeoGAF it's crazy).

Agree with you, and haters gonna hate ;)

In all honesty, all this will do is make people cancel their pre-orders. If the reviews tomorrow are positive those people will go right out and either buy day one or re-instate their pre-order. 

Now to wait for those reviews. For me, game looks great, and I will pick it up (need to buy a PS4 too), but if it's as short as it's rumoured to be, I'll be waiting until it drops in price significantly. 

In all honesty, all this will do is make people cancel their pre-orders. If the reviews tomorrow are positive those people will go right out and either buy day one or re-instate their pre-order. 

Now to wait for those reviews. For me, game looks great, and I will pick it up (need to buy a PS4 too), but if it's as short as it's rumoured to be, I'll be waiting until it drops in price significantly. 

I didn't have patience. I already did the PSN Store Edition pre-order to get the freebies that come with it as well :)

I didn't have patience. I already did the PSN Store Edition pre-order to get the freebies that come with it as well  :)

And that's fine, but then you take the consequences that come with that? :) 

I've been burned way too many times with pre-orders that I hardly ever pre-order now. 

Yeah no chance of me pre-ordering. I very rarely do these days. Only pre-orders I've done as of late were for the LE of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 ReMix. It sold out even before it was released. I've also done Bloodborne because, Bloodborne. Have to get that day 1.

This game is like

• Like 1

Short game length is not an issue for a brilliant game.   Paying $60 is.   However, the game will quickly drop, and at around $30 to 40 it would be perfect, IMO

I however understand the reasonsing behind the pricing.   It is a AAA title, and it would have cost a lot to produce, no matter the length.   So I would not blame the developer.

PS.  Preorder.   I would preorder only the games I absolutely know I will play and like no matter what.    

Games like new installment the series I like of Mortal Kombat or Tekken or Forza, or Witcher 3.

for new franchises, it is pointless to preorder.

And that's fine, but then you take the consequences that come with that? :)

I've been burned way too many times with pre-orders that I hardly ever pre-order now. 

Well, the game pushes all my buttons for a story driven game, so I am taking the chance. MOST of the time I pre-order ONLY when I want to play the DAY OF release so that it is ready for me to play when I wake up. That is for games I KNOW I am gonna buy day one and play day one, no question. Otherwise, I never normally pre-order.

Short game length is not an issue for a brilliant game.   Paying $60 is.   However, the game will quickly drop, and at around $30 to 40 it would be perfect, IMO

I however understand the reasonsing behind the pricing.   It is a AAA title, and it would have cost a lot to produce, no matter the length.   So I would not blame the developer.

PS.  Preorder.   I would preorder only the games I absolutely know I will play and like no matter what.    

Games like new installment the series I like of Mortal Kombat or Tekken or Forza, or Witcher 3.

for new franchises, it is pointless to preorder.

The graphics engine must have cost a bomb. It truly looks to be the best next-gen graphical showcase yet, ratio arguments aside.

But yeah, some people will happily pay premium for atmosphere, even if length is short. Yeah, I said short. I'm not hiding that an 8-10 hour playthrough is still on the shortish side for modern games, many do reach 15-20 hours or more. A lot of them with filler, or because they're open world by nature. That's not what I was arguing earlier, it was to allow a fair representation of how long the game is on average for a mass of consumers/critics, not just to take one persons playthrough and say everyone will clock in at 5.5 hours. 

If the game reviews to a decent standard I'll maybe jump in at

Yeah, it is looking to be the best looking game on the PS4 to date. Though it should, with being so linear, minimal AI on the screen, black bars, and minimal gameplay.

What does another game on another console have to do with this game?

What does another game on another console have to do with this game?

i don't think he was talking to you... seems to be related to previous discussion.

From what i can gather it looks like a fun qte game. Just not a system seller. Looks like the game takes around 8-10 hours to complete on hard. People doing it in 5 was probably playing it at normal or easy.

A sequel could be interesting i really like the gfx and design. The action just don't look that great.

• Like 3

Developer response: http://www.develop-online.net/interview/made-to-order-ready-at-dawn-talks-quality-over-quantity/0203245

"If you go and you eat a steak, if you pay $100 for a steak that tastes like the best steak you've ever had in your life but it's only 200 grams versus paying the same price for the worst steak you could want--but it's all-you-can-eat," he said. "There's an argument to be made that one is better than the other depending on who you are. If you just want to be full all the time then all-you-can-eat terrible steak, maybe that's for you?"

I guess this is their version of "We want Xbox players to feel special" or whatever Phil Spencer said and Don Matrick's infamous Xbox One/360 comment.

From what i can gather it looks like a fun qte game. Just not a system seller. Looks like the game takes around 8-10 hours to complete on hard. People doing it in 5 was probably playing it at normal or easy.

A sequel could be interesting i really like the gfx and design. The action just don't look that great.

Reading through some of the impressions on GAF, this sums it up well. Definitely looks to be worth buying, but as you said won't be the system seller everyone expected. If they make a sequel (fingers crossed), that would be something that could shift consoles.