Is Microsoft ignoring the desktop again?

Yes, Windows tries to figure out how to scale things. But you still can't choose the DPI for each monitor, and things like 'make text 125% larger' apply to ALL displays, which makes the whole thing useless.

Its a solution which doesn't actually solve anything.

Interesting. The article makes it sound like manually configuring different DPI values is possible.

The issue may well be the display hardware - not necessarily the GPU.  How "informative" is the display driver (the driver for the display itself)?  Typically, it isn't very informative (in Windows, OS X, FOSS/GNU, etc.).  If that changed, could the GPU make use of the information?  We don't know the specifics - worse, Microsoft isn't talking, and the display OEMs/ODMs are not talking, either.  Don't know means exactly that, in this case - and that's all I am saying.

Most of us did that .

I did not - instead, I left the mic disconnected (choice - not anything else).  I use Cortana via typing in  - the old-fashioned way (one that Google Now, oddly enough, does not support).

Why disable Cortana altogether?

the day MS listens to what the end user really needs and wants, I'll eat my proverbial hat!!

you mean like they did with windows 8.1 and with 10 when they listens to all the touch whiners butchering all the touch features that put it miles ahead of other touch OS in the process ?

go eat

• Like 3

you mean like they did with windows 8.1 and with 10 when they listens to all the touch whiners butchering all the touch features that put it miles ahead of other touch OS in the process ?

go eat

Hahahahaha, yes shift the blame

Hahahahaha, yes shift the blame

I'm not shifting the blame crippling their tablet features is 90% MS' fault.

but the point is both 8.1 and 10 are the direct result of MS listening.

I'm not shifting the blame crippling their tablet features is 90% MS' fault.

but the point is both 8.1 and 10 are the direct result of MS listening.

I think the changes in Windows 8.1 were very minor as most of them were optional and didn't detract from the overall Metro experience. By this I mean that Windows 8.1 really didn't force one to use most of the features it introduced (boot to desktop or "All Apps," display wallpaper on the Start screen, et cetera were all optional).

Again source? Where are you getting "most of us"? How are you beta testing an OS, when you're busy disabling items?

How are you beta testing an OS, when you're busy disabling items?

That is pretty much an absolute necessity, as microsoft continues to implement changes that do little more than annoy huge numbers of their client base. Personally, I disable things that I do not like. Why would anyone do otherwise..??

Don't feel bad, I disabled stuff in win7 too. Never liked the 7 taskbar, so I reverted it to the win-xp style, which I do to this day.

C'mon , guys ... don't try to be funny , you're not anyway ... He just deleted my post from 14:15 ... None of my posts looks like that ...

Too much off - topic from you critics as always ...

Can't you accept I have a different opinion about MS ?

Again source? Where are you getting "most of us"? How are you beta testing an OS, when you're busy disabling items?

Do not forget that there are people who have speech-impaired and/or hearing impaired.

That's the reason, they do not want Cortana on their desktop. So they disabled it..  That's the reason we NEED the options for us to choose or not to choose for their daily use. 

There are many features in OS for them to test and send the feedback to MS...  MS can understand that those people with disabilities can't use the specific features such as Cortana, etc.

They can use the standard search so they can type keywords out to find what they look for.

Or they could go on to the website to search such as Google, Bing, or whatever they use.

• Like 2

shozilla - I'm writing - impaired because of a little hands desease [ felt like a delay ] so I would love Cortana on my Desktop , but as I said , it got crashed all the time when I was trying to use it ...

If someone really knows what a disability is I'm that one . [ I got a worse one at legs too ] .

Maybe that's why I insist on being here and learning more , even if that's suppose to make angry some people like Zagadka or HawkMan ...

shozilla - I'm writing - impaired because of a little hands desease [ felt like a delay ] so I would love Cortana on my Desktop , but as I said , it got crashed all the time when I was trying to use it ...

If someone really knows what a disability is I'm that one . [ I got a worse one at legs too ] .

Maybe that's why I insist on being here and learning more , even if that's suppose to make angry some people like Zagadka or HawkMan ...

Wait what? What is this little hand disease you speak of?

Do not forget that there are people who have speech-impaired and/or hearing impaired.

That's the reason, they do not want Cortana on their desktop. So they disabled it..  That's the reason we NEED the options for us to choose or not to choose for their daily use. 

There are many features in OS for them to test and send the feedback to MS...  MS can understand that those people with disabilities can't use the specific features such as Cortana, etc.

They can use the standard search so they can type keywords out to find what they look for.

Or they could go on to the website to search such as Google, Bing, or whatever they use.

If it were Google Now (or Siri), I could understand it - neither supports typed input.  Or bug issues, as well.  Cortana however, supports typed input by default - in addition to, but not instead of, spoken input. If you don't want to leverage spoken input, you can disable it (in Preferences), or keep the mic unplugged - which I did for other reasons.  You don't have to outright disable Cortana altogether.  Sounds like the issue is one of sticking to the same workflow (personal preference).