Is Microsoft ignoring the desktop again?

If it were Google Now (or Siri), I could understand it - neither supports typed input.  Or bug issues, as well.  Cortana however, supports typed input by default - in addition to, but not instead of, spoken input. If you don't want to leverage spoken input, you can disable it (in Preferences), or keep the mic unplugged - which I did for other reasons.  You don't have to outright disable Cortana altogether.  Sounds like the issue is one of sticking to the same workflow (personal preference).

I know that.

That's the reason we have the search website ... if they do not want the search field on their taskbar or start menu/screen.

I use the search on the web these days.  I never use internet search on the desktop except using it for local files.  That's the habit I use since the day 1.

Once the desktop is booted up/turned on, first thing I do is click on browser icon and the Search page is right there. That's what I have been doing since.

shozilla - I don't have a problem with "personal preference"; what I have a problem with is blowing smoke about it.

One reason why I actually HAVE Cortana at my beck (for typed searches) is that I get hit with lookup request after lookup request from either Mom or her fianc