Old Calculator for Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8

Using components from older Windows versions rather than testing the new components and giving Microsoft feedback about them is missing the point of a technical preview entirely. Want to use the old calculator, control panel and whatnot? Stick to Windows 8. 

• Like 3

Still too big.  Maybe...one day.  I would be ok with it being smaller...like below.  Note:  The smaller calculator is a Photoshop by me.

Too small. How are people supposed to use that on a tablet? On a high resolution screen, you'll barely be able to see that.

Too small. How are people supposed to use that on a tablet? On a high resolution screen, you'll barely be able to see that.

I beg to differ on it being too small.  Point being...why not have a "compact" option for general desktop usage or for people who don't want 1/3 of their screen to be a calculator (yes I did a feedback).  It can still be Modern (I do not care) but a calculator shouldn't take up that much space on a desktop.

And why exactly should desktop users care about tablet users?

I beg to differ on it being too small.  Point being...allowing the huge calculator to be more compact for everyday desktop usage.  It can still be Modern...that I do not care about.  A calculator shouldn't take up a third of the screen on a desktop.

Don't forget about people who have fat fingers... they could have that calculator on their tablet/AIO/desktop.

If you want small, then use it on your phone or standard calculator, simple.

IF MS listened your feedback, then they resize it smaller, then people with fat fingers will complain to MS and it's too small for their fingers.

:rolleyes:

Don't forget about people who have fat fingers... they could have that calculator on their tablet/AIO/desktop.

If you want small, then use it on your phone or standard calculator, simple.

IF MS listened your feedback, then they resize it smaller, then people with fat fingers will complain to MS and it's too small for their fingers.

:rolleyes:

What do fat fingers have to do with desktop usage???  Didn't realize the size of programs affects keyboards.

• Like 3

What do fat fingers have to do with desktop usage??? 

Hello! Desktop with touchscreen monitors! I was talking about touch.. I have desktop with touch screen monitor.  But I use calculator on my phone or office calculator.

I don't have fat fingers but it works fine on my end.   touch or keyboard. 

The size is fine on my end.  

Hello! Desktop with touchscreen monitors! I was talking about touch.. I have desktop with touch screen monitor.  But I use calculator on my phone or office calculator.

OK.  Well, I never did say to get rid of the gigantic calculator...I asked for the option to have a smaller one.  That is all...the visual impaired, touch screen users and fat finger folks can have the big ol' calculator.

Curious...what are the current usage stats for people with fat fingers that primarily use touchscreen on their desktop?

Very nice. The new calculator follows the typical minimalist BS and eliminates several features that are in the tried and true Win7/8 Calculator like Worksheets.

I'm sure by RTM the morbidly obese corpulent sized Metro/AncientUI calculator will have even more features deprecated "so as to not confuse novice users with excessive option panels and buttons"

I am also not saying to get rid of the rotund sized calculator, just give us DESKTOP users who use a MOUSE and KEYBOARD the option of making it as small as we'd like.

And also an option to have a non-1980s MS-DOS GUI in these apps would be nice too. There isn't even a basic line seperator for the buttons!

It's really sad to see people just don't get it and still want to use old crap instead of working with MS to make a better product, and worse, from what I've seen the new calc has most of the features of the old one, but the haters here are too busy bashing it's looks to see that, as usual 

It's really sad to see people just don't get it and still want to use old crap instead of working with MS to make a better product, and worse, from what I've seen the new calc has most of the features of the old one, but the haters here are too busy bashing it's looks to see that, as usual 

Same story different year. People did this with Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and now 10. Seems there is some unwritten rule that things must not change. That's not how the world works, though.

How often exactly do you use the touchscreen?  Doesn't make sense to me to be reaching across a desk to poke your monitor.  

How often exactly do you use the touchscreen?  Doesn't make sense to me to be reaching across a desk to poke your monitor.  

I reach across on my Surface constantly. It's much quicker than going for the mouse.

I reach across on my Surface constantly. It's much quicker than going for the mouse.

I'm fairly certain he was talk about desktops.  I can barely reach my monitors.

My monitors are always within arms reach.

My monitors are always within arms reach.

ok?  Mine aren't...neither at home or at work.  30 inches from me to the monitors and arms are only about 24 inches long.  Monitors at work are probably the same if not just a bit further away.

Personally, I do not like being right up on top of the monitors...maybe one day when my eyesight starts to fail.

Using my wife's AiO, my Surface, and my work touchscreen laptop, I've found myself to use the touchscreen a lot more in traditional desktop and desktop like situations. Of course you won't be using it constantly or in all situations but it's really nice to have that additional mode of input.

As for specific situations, I find myself using it: paning around a map, scrolling through a document, navigating the GUI when I'm first setting into work (login, etc), occasionally launching applications, or when showing someone how to do something on the computer. 

Using my wife's AiO, my Surface, and my work touchscreen laptop, I've found myself to use the touchscreen a lot more in traditional desktop and desktop like situations. Of course you won't be using it constantly or in all situations but it's really nice to have that additional mode of input.

As for specific situations, I find myself using it: paning around a map, scrolling through a document, navigating the GUI when I'm first setting into work (login, etc), occasionally launching applications, or when showing someone how to do something on the computer. 

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I can fully understand the convenience of touch on smaller devices, such as the Surface and notebooks.  I'm not familiar with an AiO (assuming mobile device?).  However, the larger you go up in screen size and the further you sit from that screen the less useful touch becomes obviously.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  I can fully understand the convenience of touch on smaller devices, such as the Surface and notebooks.  I'm not familiar with an AiO (assuming mobile device?).  However, the larger you go up in screen size and the further you sit from that screen the less useful touch becomes obviously.

One like this: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/a-series/a540/?sb=:000001C9:00012520:

There is only one use-case-scenario, and it is Dot Matrix's.  All other use cases don't exist or are invalid. 

I too wouldn't mind a mini calculator for my desktop.  I use the numpad to interact with it anyway, so it doesn't matter how big the buttons are. 

ok?  Mine aren't...neither at home or at work.  30 inches from me to the monitors and arms are only about 24 inches long.  Monitors at work are probably the same if not just a bit further away.

Personally, I do not like being right up on top of the monitors...maybe one day when my eyesight starts to fail.

Mine has touchscreen monitor which acts like All in One desktop.  Instead, I hooked my monitor up to my PC. 

Don't forget that we have the full-motion mount/arm attached to the desk or wall. That can extend about 15" toward to you.

Right now, it's sitting on my desk and I plan to get a mount so I could mount it on the wall on the left of me.  I use it for presentations.  People to come by to check my work and they tell me any modifications or not.