Old Calculator for Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8

Mine has touchscreen monitor which acts like All in One desktop.  Instead, I hooked my monitor up to my PC. 

Don't forget that we have the full-motion mount/arm attached to the desk or wall. That can extend about 15" toward to you.

Right now, it's sitting on my desk and I plan to get a mount so I could mount it on the wall on the left of me.  I use it for presentations.  People to come by to check my work and they tell me any modifications or not.

Your setup isn't common...would you not agree?  How many people, utilizing desktop PCs (or All In Ones) have their monitors on full range mounting arms?

Yes, thank you.  I know what an All in One is ... the acronym just didn't click.  Being in the military I'm overloaded with acronyms.

Your setup isn't common...would you not agree?  How many people, utilizing desktop PCs (or All In Ones) have their monitors on full range mounting arms?

I don't care if it is common or not.

It's my way.. .NOT YOURS...  Everyone use their own way when they have their desktops/tablets.... 

I don't care how you've setup yours or what you do with it.  Microsoft doesn't care what you do with it. You can change registry or tweak stuff around, etc.

You obviously don't get it.  It's useful for me.. especially what pack34 said.

I don't care if it is common or not.

It's my way.. .NOT YOURS...  Everyone use their own way when they have their desktops/tablets.... 

I don't care how you've setup yours or what you do with it.  Microsoft doesn't care what you do with it. You can change registry or tweak stuff around, etc.

You obviously don't get it.  It's useful for me.. especially what pack34 said.

Wow...ok then.   :woot:

Never once did I question the method for which you use your desktop.  My posts have been about typical desktop setups (keyboard/mouse/monitor) ... not unique ones such as yours  

Anyway, hopefully Microsoft gives use the option to run these applications in a smaller window and not just cater to touchscreen users.  Vertical scrolling would also be nice option in Modern Apps.  Win win

... so what is clearly needed is scaling options based on initial screen resolution and changeable by dragging the corner with the mouse or finger. Since Win10 changes behavior on screens of smaller size, this shouldn't be a complicated issue.

I reach across on my Surface constantly. It's much quicker than going for the mouse.

A surface is a glorified tablet. I meant traditional two monitors sitting on a full size computer desk tower one the floor mouse and keyboard setup.

A surface is a glorified tablet. I meant traditional two monitors sitting on a full size computer desk tower one the floor mouse and keyboard setup.

I disagree, the Surface is more than a tablet. It is very much an all in one machine.

well that rules us triple screen users out then :p

I disagree, the Surface is more than a tablet. It is very much an all in one machine.

Would an iPad with a keyboard not be all in one then? I mean you can do the same things on both no?

Would an iPad with a keyboard not be all in one then? I mean you can do the same things on both no?

Haha, no. An iPad, is an iPad, is an iPad, and at the end of the day, will still be limited to iOS specific apps. I want to see you come home, plug an iPad into a desk adapter, and have it convert to a full PC, and run full Mac OS X apps. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath, because I know that you cannot do that. However, you can very much do that with a Surface Pro and Windows 8.1/10.

It's really sad to see people just don't get it and still want to use old crap instead of working with MS to make a better product, and worse, from what I've seen the new calc has most of the features of the old one, but the haters here are too busy bashing it's looks to see that, as usual 

People use what they like and what they are used to.  Not everyone thinks new things are the better and new things do not work the best for everyone.  In the end, things are still progressing and companies are still moving forward.

If people want to use the old calc, good for them.  Same for people who want to use the new one.   What is silly is the same old arguments over personal preference. 

People use what they like and what they are used to.  Not everyone thinks new things are the better and new things do not work the best for everyone.  In the end, things are still progressing and companies are still moving forward.

If people want to use the old calc, good for them.  Same for people who want to use the new one.   What is silly is the same old arguments over personal preference. 

Then Windows 10 isn't for them. Microsoft is looking to shed as much legacy baggage as it can at this point in order to make Windows as responsive as they can. If you're working to cling on to everything old and deprecated, then you're not doing yourself any favors, especially in the computing field.

Then Windows 10 isn't for them.

Why?  Because they choose to use a different calculator and what they are used to?  There are lots of other things I am sure they enjoy but just because they decide a simple app isnt what they prefer, Win10 is not for them?  If thats the case, I Win8 is not for me because I choose not to see/use the tile interface and have all my apps that I used pinned.  Windows must not be for me since I dont like using IE and I prefer FF.  You dont have to like 100 percent of anything in order for it to be for you.  Most people dont like a product 100 percent anyway.

Seriously, all this nonsense about someone wanting to use a different calc app is stupid.  Windows has always allowed for mods and other methods for users to use what they want if they dont like something. 

This is another calc app that people can use.  There are more in the app store. Get over it.  There are many other alternative apps in the app store different from what Windows offers as stock.  Again, if anyone chooses those apps over the default windows app, then Windows is not for them according to you.

Why?  Because they choose to use a different calculator and what they are used to?  There are lots of other things I am sure they enjoy but just because they decide a simple app isnt what they prefer, Win10 is not for them?  If thats the case, I Win8 is not for me because I choose not to see/use the tile interface and have all my apps that I used pinned.  Windows must not be for me since I dont like using IE and I prefer FF.  You dont have to like 100 percent of anything in order for it to be for you.  Most people dont like a product 100 percent anyway.

Seriously, all this nonsense about someone wanting to use a different calc app is stupid.  Windows has always allowed for mods and other methods for users to use what they want if they dont like something. 

This is another calc app that people can use.  There are more in the app store. Get over it.  There are many other alternative apps in the app store different from what Windows offers as stock.  Again, if anyone chooses those apps over the default windows app, then Windows is not for them according to you.

You misunderstood me. I was replying to your "People use what they like and what they are used to.  Not everyone thinks new things are the better and new things do not work the best for everyone" comment. Windows 8 marked the deprecation of classic Windows for something new and modern. Windows 10 is now continuing that trend by becoming completely modern and eliminating the classic bits all together. If people don't think new things are better (modern), then yes, Windows 10 isn't for them. Adding back deprecated functionality is kludgy at best, and not doing anyone any favors. Eventually, at one point or another, you'll need to pick up the pieces, and simply move forward.

The thing is, with tech, people "wanting to use old stuff" is fairly irrelevant... for both security and compatibility issues. Some people still prefer XP, and they probably always will regardless of what MS makes.

If someone really wants to use the old calculator application, they are really quite welcome to download one just like it. That is the nice thing in the Windows ecosystem, there are probably tens of thousands of calculator applications that exist for free download.

Microsoft should see to providing the most current and updated version as they can. They won't please everyone.

Then Windows 10 isn't for them. Microsoft is looking to shed as much legacy baggage as it can at this point in order to make Windows as responsive as they can. If you're working to cling on to everything old and deprecated, then you're not doing yourself any favors, especially in the computing field.

And MS can continue to shed the legacy stuff and move forward.  What does people liking to use an older look for an app have anything to do with what MS is trying to do and how does it stop you for enjoying the new stuff?  People liking to use older things has been going on in Windows for decades and Windows still progresses.  And not doing yourself any favors?  Really?  If an older app is what someone prefers and is what they like and are used to, then it isnt hurting them one bit.

If people don't think new things are better, then yes, Windows 10 isn't for them. However, you cannot hold onto legacy elements forever.

And people will eventually move on.  How does that affect you in anyway?  And there are things I dont like in Windows 10 that I prefer in Win7.  But I will use Windows 10 just like I use Win8.1.  Just because I dont like the new OS in every way shape and form, doesnt mean it isnt for me.

Seriously? Have you ever seen a Surface Pro 3? How do you run VMs on iPad?

I am also not sold on desktop touch screens... it seems rather pointless. At rest, arms can sit and use a keyboard and mouse with minimal work, even if you are at a standing desk. Spending a significant amount of time reaching out at a desk to tap a monitor would get rather tiring after a time (unless you count it as exercise), and you still probably need to use your keyboard to enter any significant amount of text... Twitter succeeds because of brevity, not because it is even desirable to type more than 140 characters on a touch screen. Touch may work on laptops, tablets, kiosks, etc, but at one point, it is just insufficient for many applications.

Haha, no. An iPad, is an iPad, is an iPad, and at the end of the day, will still be limited to iOS specific apps. I want to see you come home, plug an iPad into a desk adapter, and have it convert to a full PC, and run full Mac OS X apps. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath, because I know that you cannot do that. However, you can very much do that with a Surface Pro and Windows 8.1/10.

Surface pro.. right but not surface rt.

• Like 1

I am also not sold on desktop touch screens... it seems rather pointless. At rest, arms can sit and use a keyboard and mouse with minimal work, even if you are at a standing desk. Spending a significant amount of time reaching out at a desk to tap a monitor would get rather tiring after a time (unless you count it as exercise), and you still probably need to use your keyboard to enter any significant amount of text... Twitter succeeds because of brevity, not because it is even desirable to type more than 140 characters on a touch screen. Touch may work on laptops, tablets, kiosks, etc, but at one point, it is just insufficient for many applications.

Again, just because you have touch, doesn't mean you need to use it exclusively. Touch isn't going to replace the physical keyboard. I hate having my arms constantly at rest - it causes me to fall asleep. It isn't going to hurt you to move every so often.

I'm not sold on touchscreens for the desktop... Anyone who gets their grubby fingerprints on my screens will get a swift smack upside the head as far as I am concerned :D

We don't care if you are using touchscreens or not....   it's your decision. If it's not useful to you, then don't worry about others. Worry about yourself, period.

Some people find it useful in some cases such as presentations, maps, etc.

I don't care what you think of us using the touchscreens.. 

Plus you HAVE NOT thought about the stylus if you don't want to use your fingers.  Stylus works on the touchscreens.

Plus you can clean it with cleaning wipes once a while. Nothing is wrong with that.  If you don't clean it, meaning you are lazy. And you have dust on them anyway.

lol I wasn't passing judgement on you or your usage of screens. That's great you find them useful. I was stating my use case and opinions on them.

And I clean my screens frequently; they are spotless.

Edited by zhangm

lol I wasn't passing judgement on you or your usage of screens. That's great you find them useful. I was stating my use case and opinions on them.

It shows that you worry about touchscreens and others use it...

If you don't care, then you shouldn't post that, simple... I quote your post:

Anyone who gets their grubby fingerprints on my screens will get a swift smack upside the head as far as I am concerned.

REMEMBER:  There are MANY WAYS to use your devices/PC that suit your needs.   Such as accessories, modifications, etc.   stylus, touch, pen, mounts, all that stuff are available ... whatever you find useful.

I clean my devices/TVs too...  

Edited by zhangm

I'm not sold on touchscreens for the desktop... Anyone who gets their grubby fingerprints on my screens will get a swift smack upside the head as far as I am concerned :D

I shouldn't post that? LOL. Get out of it.