• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

NASA Commercial Crew (CCtCap) test milestones

Jim K    12,621

• Like 2

Jim K    12,621

Wonder what they were counting down to (if that was indeed a countdown in the blocky video)

DocM    16,217

Supposedly it was on a shake table doing 2x max expected loads. ISTM just about anything coming unglued under those conditions makes for a bad day.

flyingskippy    165

If that is the case then  yeah I would expect bad things to happen.

FAA certification only goes to 150% .I know the FAA doesn't have jurisdiction here, but is NASA requiring 200%?  Is this for that ###### LOC rate they require? 

Skiver    1,943

Still no news on this? I'm so used to SpaceX's quick and open explanations on some of the "failures" they've had in the past, the lack of information on this makes it feel worse than it probably is.

bguy_1986    351
4 hours ago, Skiver said:

Still no news on this? I'm so used to SpaceX's quick and open explanations on some of the "failures" they've had in the past, the lack of information on this makes it feel worse than it probably is.

Government is involved.  Could be why it's taking longer?

DocM    16,217
Posted (edited)

SpaceX's Hans Koenigsmann re: Crew Dragon test failure. Sounds like plumbing.

Powered up nominally.

Completed 2 Draco thruster firings, 5 seconds each. 

Just before the SDs fired there was an anomaly which destroyed the vehicle.

Indications this happened while the SDs were "activating". Too soon to speculate about root cause.

COPVs are not pressurized during SD activation

Confidence in SDs - 600 tests including integrated;  pad abort and hovers.

Large amount of data; high speed film, sensors and telemetry. 

Video does not include the Q&A

Edited by DocM

Jim K    12,621
9 hours ago, Skiver said:

Well....when the Falcon blew up on the launch pad it took about three weeks before a lengthy statement (aside from ones apologizing for loss of the AMOS-6) and preliminary speculation on the cause.  About 4 months before everything was done...with updates about every month.

I wouldn't read too much into them not giving out information at this point.  

Just hoping it isn't a design flaw...but we'll know eventually.

• Like 2

Jim K    12,621

From the above article...

///

In the company's most expansive comments to date, Koenigsmann said the "anomaly" occurred during a series of tests with the spacecraft, approximately one-half second before the firing of the SuperDraco thrusters. At that point, he said, "There was an anomaly and the vehicle was destroyed."

During the activation phase, the SuperDraco thruster system is pressurized, and valves are opened and closed. Since the accident there has been speculation that there may have been some issue with the composite overwrap pressure vessels, or COPVs, which store rocket fuels at extremely high pressures. The COPVs on Crew Dragon are different from those on the Falcon 9, and they would not have been overly stressed at that moment, Koenigsmann said. "I'm fairly confident that the COPVs are going to be fine," he said.

///

He also went on to say that  "We have no reason to believe there’s an issue with the SuperDracos themselves,"

DocM    16,217

And there are several Crew Dragons on the line, so building  new IFA test vehicle shouldn't be an issue. 

DocM    16,217

DocM    16,217
Posted (edited)

Yay!!

Kathy Leuders is NASA's Program Manager for Commercial Crew.

• Like 2