LAPD Officers Shoot Man Five Times in Broad Daylight

Interesting your take on my comment. I meant it in a positive way and you took it the opposite way.  Love Al or hate him he definitely get's people thinking.

Apologies for my misinterpretation. 

Another murder by cops. Given what we now know about police brutality stats, no one should give them any benefit of doubt.

Instead of protecting us, its now come to a stage where you give them the slightest excuse, or none at all, and they will shoot you. And claim its justified, and have people defend them.

What I find sad is all of you who had to run to the page showing the situation. . .I bet those that went to that page are those who when in heavy traffice have to slow way down to see if someone is laid out dead on the street . . . oh darnm, I forgot this is a human interest situation . . .my bad. . . :shifty:

Despite your sarcasm you are actually right. It's been well documented that humans tend to have a fascination with all things macabre. So yeah....might not interest you (or you just may not admit it), but generally speaking it's actually completely natural for those situations in your post to arise (people flocking to see a video of a shooting, people slowing down to see an accident, etc).

6 cops can subdue an unarmed man without resorted to shooting.  The rest of the civilized world can manage that quite well.

This would be a true statement had those exacting situations existed.

From this video it seems there was no need to use deadly force. Cops in the UK get put into far more testing situations daily and do not kill people.

• Like 4

The way I see it, and it could be wrong, is that we have given them the power to do their jobs. In any situation we can be victimized, it happens in the workplace, it happens on the streets, it happens in our homes, it happens when in front of a law enforcement officer. You can't control every situation. Again, I go back to the courts is where you handle these matters...that is what we have as a civilized society to be able to get justice to what has happened to us. Officers are sworn in to uphold the law and to enforce it, not to abuse it.

The problem is, as a nation, we have agreed that the citizens are supposed to have rights that they can't decide to sign away. Realistically, to give police unlimited power to apprehend usurps the power of the courts.

The constitution doesn't offer room for the police to usurp. We have accepted this as a reality in certain cases, but it has to be minimized as much as is possible.

When there are 6 police officers to one person, there should NEVER be a gun pulled.  If the 6 cops can't subdue one person, they should all be fired and capable people hired.  No matter how you look at it, it makes the officers look like a bunch of incompetent morons.

How did they know the person wasn't on PCP? My friends that work in law enforcement have dealt with someone who was on PCP and they were about 250lbs each, on top of a subject and he said the guy was easily pushing them up while he was on the ground.

From this video it seems there was no need to use deadly force. Cops in the UK get put into far more testing situations daily and do not kill people.

Really, lets see some.

Next post we'll probably see the terrorists in France were murdered and it could have been handled differently.

People need to learn how to count. After the female picked up the night stick half the cops ended up dealing with her.

Haha. I thought that was a little kid. Took two, twice her size, to cuff her? Still leave one cop for each limb.

• Like 1

There are many times more civilians killed every year than cops. Some are definitely justified, but how many aren't every year? This is just one case. It's almost daily that cops run into someone's house or are called to help someone, and kill an innocent person.

This involved getting some guy to move his tent. Did he rob someone? Murder? Rape? If they wanted to do something about this, they should have had a squad come through with a paddywagon and load them all up.

There are just so many ways they could have handled this better. I agree that they have a tough job, but if you're going to do the job, do it right. If I don't do my job right, I get fired, not paid vacation, then come back to my job.

There are many times more civilians killed every year than cops. Some are definitely justified, but how many aren't every year? This is just one case. It's almost daily that cops run into someone's house or are called to help someone, and kill an innocent person.

This involved getting some guy to move his tent. Did he rob someone? Murder? Rape? If they wanted to do something about this, they should have had a squad come through with a paddywagon and load them all up.

There are just so many ways they could have handled this better. I agree that they have a tough job, but if you're going to do the job, do it right. If I don't do my job right, I get fired, not paid vacation, then come back to my job.

I'm pretty sure you'd be written up 3 times then get fired, not fired on the spot.

I'm pretty sure you'd be written up 3 times then get fired, not fired on the spot.

Depends on the job and the state.  Missouri, where I work is a right to work state.  You have to look at the level of infraction as well.  Stealing is grounds for immediate termination versus being an hour late.  

In this case we're talking killing someone versus hour late.  

Think this frame about sums it up for me.  That's one threatening dude.

Seems to me if you are the ones that keep bringing weapons you lose (or fear to lose) control of, maybe you haven't earned the right to them.  You certainly don't get to go all Jimbo everytime you do.  Sadly, I doubt I'll find the cop cam footage any more comforting or justified than an episode of Cops.

They should have backed off in virtually every case we've seen recently that ended with unarmed dead.

post-5317-0-73774900-1425448874.png

• Like 2

Another murder by cops. Given what we now know about police brutality stats, no one should give them any benefit of doubt.

Instead of protecting us, its now come to a stage where you give them the slightest excuse, or none at all, and they will shoot you. And claim its justified, and have people defend them.

Nothing like exaggerating to try proving a point. Put it in perspective. One encounter with police in one day out of how many thousands across the country? Yeah.

All the shootings that have happened in the last 6 months or so that we've been hearing about have one thing in common - people resisting arrest. Don't do it and you won't get shot.

People saying don't attack cops are looking it from the outside too.

Most of those homesless guys are mentally sick. Being mentally sick in a civilized society should not be a death penalty sentence.

The police officers in NA are not well trained enough to deal with mentally sick people imo.

<snip>

I have to disagree, If the police say stop... you stop, its just common sense. You especially don't try for their weapon as that is only going to end one way.

If we go with the generalisation that "most" homeless are mentally sick, then a mentally sick guy going for a gun is even more dangerous, and unfortunately justifies the outcome even more.

Don't get me wrong, It would be best for everyone if this could have ended a different way. But those sitting at their desks or on a laptop reading a story and coming up with the profound statement that this should have been handled better, IMO, is just silly. I don't think the person who came up with these guidelines on how to deal with this sort of thing wants this, they want someone, when told to stop... to stop.

Nothing like exaggerating to try proving a point. Put it in perspective. One encounter with police in one day out of how many thousands across the country? Yeah.

No, but put this encounter with the countless others and you have a compelling case.

All the shootings that have happened in the last 6 months or so that we've been hearing about have one thing in common - people resisting arrest. Don't do it and you won't get shot.

Last time I checked resisting arrest isn't punishable by the death sentence, even in the US. Further, we've seen police officers in the US murder homeless people who posed no threat. It's extremely dangerous to shift the blame onto the victim, as that's what gives police the ability to operate outside the law without consequence. What the shootings have in common is incompetent policing and extremely aggressive, confrontational tactics. When you look at that video do you think "wow, what great policing" or "man, what a bunch of clowns"?

• Like 1

I have to disagree, If the police say stop... you stop, its just common sense. You especially don't try for their weapon as that is only going to end one way.

If we go with the generalisation that "most" homeless are mentally sick, then a mentally sick guy going for a gun is even more dangerous, and unfortunately justifies the outcome even more.

Don't get me wrong, It would be best for everyone if this could have ended a different way. But those sitting at their desks or on a laptop reading a story and coming up with the profound statement that this should have been handled better, IMO, is just silly. I don't think the person who came up with these guidelines on how to deal with this sort of thing wants this, they want someone, when told to stop... to stop.

There's a difference between being an armchair critic and pointing out the systemic issues with policing in the US. We see this sort of thing repeated day-in-and-day-out, something that just doesn't occur in other countries. On it's own it's just one incident, put together with all the rest it highlights systemic issues.

There's a difference between being an armchair critic and pointing out the systemic issues with policing in the US. We see this sort of thing repeated day-in-and-day-out, something that just doesn't occur in other countries. On it's own it's just one incident, put together with all the rest it highlights systemic issues.

But for a lot of the western world, you're comparing apples and oranges. Sure in the UK for example you don't see this, but our standard police officer isn't walking the streets with a side arm, because he is much less likely to come across someone with a side arm. Because he doesn't have a sidearm, there isn't one to grab. That situation is just never going to happen in the UK and many other European states. 

I don't know enough about gun law in other countries, but I believe there are far more (at least in my part of the world) in which carrying a weapon is illegal. I know this brings up the whole gun law debate which we don't need here but lets just leave it as, its not as simple as we would like this all to be.

I get where you're coming from, I'd love to live in a world where bad stuff like this doesn't happen, but unfortunately the world isn't full of unicorns and rainbows and there are some horrible horrible people out there who will hurt you and worse. The police are trained to deal with these people with lethal force if lives are in danger. A man who isn't co-operating with the police, and is reaching for a gun should be considered dangerous and unfortunately, needs to be stopped.

The other thing is, what would people be saying if one of those officers was now 6 foot under because they tried to handle the situation less violently. Otr even worse, what would be said if an innocent bystander got caught by a stray shot of an incoherent homeless man who grabbed an officers gun and let off a wild ######.

The police will never win, they are either trigger happy, dead or not doing enough for public safety. For that reason, I respect them and I sympathise with their struggle.

Perfect example of defending murder. So if you resist arrest you can be shot?! And people think that's OK?

Police in other countries manage to do their jobs without carrying guns and they have lower crime rates as well. US cops are murderes above the law.

The truly amazing thing is how people still defend them no matter what.

• Like 3

How did they know the person wasn't on PCP? My friends that work in law enforcement have dealt with someone who was on PCP and they were about 250lbs each, on top of a subject and he said the guy was easily pushing them up while he was on the ground.

Really, lets see some.

Next post we'll probably see the terrorists in France were murdered and it could have been handled differently.

If you go out drinking in the UK on a weekend you'll see fights, brawls, glass being thrown, bouncers getting assaulted and a lot more. As someone who has lived all their life in the UK I'm pretty well experienced with how our cops can handle things.

We're far from perfect, but I don't think I've ever seen videos of the UK cops represented like this video.

There's a lot of force than can be used prior to deadly. Batons, pepper spray, and even fists. Even if a gun has to be used there's many parts of the body to aim for that can stun prior to outright killing. Unloading multiple shots into someone is to outright plan to kill.

• Like 2

But for a lot of the western world, you're comparing apples and oranges. Sure in the UK for example you don't see this, but our standard police officer isn't walking the streets with a side arm, because he is much less likely to come across someone with a side arm. Because he doesn't have a sidearm, there isn't one to grab. That situation is just never going to happen in the UK and many other European states. 

I don't know enough about gun law in other countries, but I believe there are far more (at least in my part of the world) in which carrying a weapon is illegal. I know this brings up the whole gun law debate which we don't need here but lets just leave it as, its not as simple as we would like this all to be.

I get where you're coming from, I'd love to live in a world where bad stuff like this doesn't happen, but unfortunately the world isn't full of unicorns and rainbows and there are some horrible horrible people out there who will hurt you and worse. The police are trained to deal with these people with lethal force if lives are in danger. A man who isn't co-operating with the police, and is reaching for a gun should be considered dangerous and unfortunately, needs to be stopped.

If the police can't be trusted with their own weapons then maybe the police need to start using weapons that require a fingerprint to unlock. That would completely eliminate needless killings like this. At the end of the day if six officers can't take down one homeless person without killing them then something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

• Like 1

There's a lot of force than can be used prior to deadly. Batons, pepper spray, and even fists. Even if a gun has to be used there's many parts of the body to aim for that can stun prior to outright killing.

Exactly. The Lee Rigby murderers were both shot in a non-lethal manner when they charged police. That's because British firearms officers are trained to an extremely high standard.

• Like 2