Walter Scott shooting: Police officer faces murder charge in death of black man

It's naive to think that race relations with law enforcement & incarceration in the U.S. is a non issue.

its also naive to think its all about "the man getting blackie"

not saying you are saying that - just chimin in with the other school of thought

Im wondering what happened between Scott running off in the dash cam and the beginning of the cell phone video as clearly at some point Scott and the officer in question come together with what appears to be a tussle of some sort as the cell video starts.

It's naive to think that race relations with law enforcement & incarceration in the U.S. is a non issue.

Not sure anyone is saying it isnt an issue.  Just not every incident where a white guy shoots a black guy is racial.  But there are a lot of minorities that like to play the race card, and race makes for a better story.  Sometimes it is just an idiot/bad person...sometimes not.

Maybe in 50-100 years. In today's reality, ignoring the factor of race would be, as complex said, naive.

I'm not saying that race provoked the event, but ignoring it is not the correct response.

I am willing to be race will always play a factor in how people think.  I don't see the human race getting much better even in 100 years.  Sad, but there will probably always be some kind of discrimination towards one race or another.

Im wondering what happened between Scott running off in the dash cam and the beginning of the cell phone video as clearly at some point Scott and the officer in question come together with what appears to be a tussle of some sort as the cell video starts.

Best guess is that the Officer caught up to him, tried to arrest him, Scott resisted, officer tried to tase him, Scott ran off then was shot. What is known is that Scott had a warrent out for child payment, which is a non life threatening office obviously. However clearly running off and possibly tussling with the officer was not the brightest idea.

Now to counter that, this is what I am curious on. What are officers supposed to do after a possible tussle like that occurs, tazing doesn't stop him and the suspect runs, shooting him in the back to death obviously not wanted. I know back up had to be near by because you see another officer show up in the cell video

This may sound stupid to you, but someone who was pulled over by the cops for a broken tail light, starts to run...

WFT? The cops might be thinking "WTF, why is this dude running for something so stupid? I think he has a bomb. Better gun him down to protect the civils."

I think he has a bomb. Better gun him down to protect the civils."

Erm,,, head shots for potential bombers it stops any signals to the extremitys

Of course, this would not have come out if someone hadn't have videoed it. Indeed the cop involved was being supported and protected until people could actually see what happened. That is a massive problem in itself.

I love how the title doesn't have the name of the guy he killed ..all it says is "Black Man!" lol

Did you somehow miss this:

Just watched the video and I wouldn't be surprised if this officer gets the death penalty.  I imagine the plea deal they offer him would be life without parole.  The guy shouldn't have run from the traffic stop to begin with but nothing that happened was an excuse to gun him down like that and then tamper with evidence to fit your story.  I would have expected better for somebody that served in the Coast Guard.

Not sure about death. But Life for sure. Parole, depends on judge. Don't know why the guy ran, not that it matters. But given how corrupt this officer is, you never know what he said to make the guy run.

Anyway, bad cops happen. It happens too often, but this is just a bad cop. I find the second cop, the black one who went along, to be just as corrupt. No jail time or accessory charges, but I'm not sure he should remain in the PD.

I think most people think that's the name of the Officer.

Most cops who murder people then lie about it  with bs like 'it was justified'. People (incl on this very forum) then defend them with nonsense like 'don't provoke the cops' as if that justifies killng someone. Judges will side with cops and DA's refuse to even prosecute unless its a clear cut case like this one which is also a chance for publicity for them.

The number of murders by cops in this country is absolutely insane, a lot more of them need to be in prison.

It's all on video including the officer planting the Taser after-the-murder, so I don't think that will happen here.

• Like 1

Cop shot the guy and is now facing charges. Fair, but race should not be brought up.

It shouldn't, since it's murder. But you're not going to be able to remove the racial aspects of police misconduct in the current climate with the current number of white on black police misconduct.

Because of the tape, this case should not be overwhelmed by the racial aspect as there won't be anyone defending it. Now if previous conduct by this officer involving blacks comes up, you won't be able to stop the racial overtones.

You have much more faith in humanity than I do.  I'm waiting for the right-wing GoFundMe page to be set up for his legal fund.

There will always be misfits on the fringes of all sides of any issue.

The most disturbing part of this is that the officer radioed dispatch and said the suspect grabbed his tazer, which was a complete lie.  If the incident hadn't been video recorded, it's unlikely that he'd be facing justice.

Just like this? Cops out of control.. notice cops right at the end of video punching woman needlessly. she was apparently handcuffed already

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJuKlQF0meg

That's terrible if that's what happened, but from the video I can't tell what he's punching. Given she's pregnant and a female, I just can't tell. Can't see enough. He's punching at the end for sure, kind of downward, doesn't seem to match the part of the body you can see so I don't know for sure what he was actually punching.

The most disturbing part of this is that the officer radioed dispatch and said the suspect grabbed his tazer, which was a complete lie.  If the incident hadn't been video recorded, it's unlikely that he'd be facing justice.

He may well have in the interval between the two videos as they are in the same place when the camera video starts, this said it was extremely excessive force to use.An indication of the two video time stamps may shed light on the how long the lost period was.

Why not call it "Police officer faces murder charge in shooting death of Walter Scott"

He didn't get charged because he shot a black man. He got shot because he opened fire on a human running a way from him.

• Like 3

Why not call it "Police officer faces murder charge in shooting death of Walter Scott"

Because adding black man draws more attention.  That is the media for ya.  Media comes off like it is concerned for racial issues and then turns them in to racial issues.  Same goes for the general public.

He didn't get charged because he shot a black man. He got shot because he opened fire on a human running a way from him.

Exactly. I don't understand how people think the cop is racist there is no evidence at all to back that up. The officer shot a human in the back as he was running away from him, and that's murder, but I feel it wasn't a racially motivated murder.

I kinda feel as if he thought Walter Scott was a piece of trash(maybe because of the back child support payments, maybe because Walter Scott was acting belligerent) and he didn't feel empathy for the guy so he shot him. Then tried to setup the crime scene to back up his crap story.

Because the incident did not happen in a vacuum. Of all places Neowinians should be aware of that given it's fascination with technology  race. Was it racial don't know. Doesn't matter, it's murder. But given the current climate and the recent white officer on black citizen misconduct, that's why the race of those involved is somewhat relevant. I believe it is made irrelevant by two things:

1) It's on tape. Cold blooded murder and the conspiracy to hide the crime via lies and planting of false evidence. Makes it irrelevant if his motivation was race-based or not.

2) The complicit officer after-the-murder, was black.

If you're going to ask why his race is identified in the headlines, you should also ask yourself if he was a 50-year old non-black in same situation, do you think he would have 5 slugs in his back and be dead? Even if your answer is, "of course not," that doesn't mean it was a racial killing. That may only mean a demented evil dude with a gun and a badge figured he stood a pretty good chance of getting away with cold blooded murder of a black as opposed to anyone else. That's not a racially motivated murder. It's just realizing the society we live in.

Kind of like men who like to torture and murder women in general, know that if they prey on prostitutes there will be less effort to solve the crime if any at all because many won't be missed and when they are reported, oh, it's just a ######.

It's just reality.

Another common thread we see time and time again is resisting arrest.  I am not saying if they struggle - then shoot them.  But, WTF is the problem with so many people ?  What do they think is going to happen ?  They are going to get away ?

These people need to have the crap kicked out of them for resisting for sure.  Then we will hear all the whining about how these good people are getting abused by cops.

I am willing to bet race will always play a factor in how people think.  I don't see the human race getting much better even in 100 years.  Sad, but there will probably always be some kind of discrimination towards one race or another.

I think your overlooking how primitive we still are as a species in 2015 and underestimate how quickly we evolve both culturally and socially.

In 1976 my great grandmother was half the age of the United States... Entire social outlooks can change within generations. Imagine how drastically life changed within her 100 years.

A limitless potential.

You have much more faith in humanity than I do.  I'm waiting for the right-wing GoFundMe page to be set up for his legal fund.

Well, it has happened, but GoFundMe halted it, and then it was placed on IndieGoGo who have also halted it.

Another common thread we see time and time again is resisting arrest.  I am not saying if they struggle - then shoot them.  But, WTF is the problem with so many people ?  What do they think is going to happen ?  They are going to get away ?

These people need to have the crap kicked out of them for resisting for sure.  Then we will hear all the whining about how these good people are getting abused by cops.

11078156_10153827093414358_2175693206944

• Like 1