Walter Scott shooting: Police officer faces murder charge in death of black man

Definitely a bad decision on the police officer's part, but why is the media drumming this one up under race again? Would it be a non story if the victim was white?

That's the media for you, a police officer shooting someone isn't as juicy as a police officer shooting a black man.

That's the media for you, a police officer shooting someone isn't as juicy as a police officer shooting a black man.

I guess it is lucky for the media there is no shortage of police officers shooting black men?

11078156_10153827093414358_2175693206944

There is a little more to it than a meme. Here is some new research. I'm in no way condoning what the officer did and never will. I'm just adding this "new" evidence. We never, ever get the whole story up front.

http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/04/12/game-changer-or-paradigm-shift-walter-scott-shooting-enhanced-video-shows-officer-slager-with-taser-darts/

I guess it is lucky for the media there is no shortage of police officers shooting black men?

And on a positive note.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/04/12/this-black-driver-was-stopped-by-a-white-cop-what-happened-next-had-him-pulling-over-to-record-this-message/

I'm sure they'll find (make up) other stories in their absence!

I never argued that there are no good police, but when they are bad, they are incredibly bad. Especially in the U.S. where it seems "shoot first and say he was being belligerent and violent later" seems common.

There seems to be a really big problem with how law enforcement and black Americans interact.

I never argued that there are no good police, but when they are bad, they are incredibly bad. Especially in the U.S. where it seems "shoot first and say he was being belligerent and violent later" seems common.

There seems to be a really big problem with how law enforcement and black Americans interact.

I never indicated you argued anything. I just thought I'd add something positive for a change.

Further more, come live here and actually experience it for yourself instead of gleaning what you know from the media. Visiting isn't the same either.

It's just not that bad if you actually do the math. The ratio of cops to African Americans or any non Caucasian . Sure, the instances that are played over and over on the media are terrible. You never hear, from the media, of the good cops doing good things for any citizen whatsoever. If you search hard enough you can find obscure reports of cops doing good in communities. 

Never saw this on Fox,MSNBC, or any of the major networks -----> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/20/sheriff-save-autistic-boys-birthday-party-friends_n_6722290.html

If this all you saw over and over and over would your opinion be different? 

Here is one that made headlines and none of the um innocents are African American. ---> http://www.cbsnews.com/news/video-shows-deadly-walmart-brawl-between-family-arizona-police/

Anytime you have a collective of human beings whether it be cops, preachers, teachers, coaches, priests, politicians, leaders,software developers,reporters,Mcdonald's employees, Wal-Mart employees, lawn care guys,mechanics,etc,etc,etc, you will have bad ones. Nothing can be done about this human condition.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Key paragraph,

Slager pleaded guilty in May to violation of civil rights by acting under the color of law in Scott's 2015 killing. Slager's 2016 state murder trial ended in a mistrial.

Also key is the US Suteme Court decision Tennessee v. Garner (1985)

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force.

— Justice Byron White

An interesting wrinkle is that, state law permitting, civilians can use deadly force on a fleeing felony suspect. The precedent for this is from the Michigan Supreme Court case People v. Couch (1990), which has been used in many other courts to determine if a shooting was "good" or not. A key part of Couch is the shooting must be done during an attempted Citizen's Arrest.

7 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Wow, this took a long time to get resolved...

How long it takes depends on the jurisdiction, largely based on the court's case load, and in some cases it can take several years for a homicide case to work its way through the courts. In federal court things do run a little bit quicker.