E3 2015 Microsoft Press Conference Discussion

There's going to be more game and feature news coming all week and even next week he said.  New Xbox One user experience on the way!

I'm wondering what kind of compatibility exists between all this VR equipment and the XBone, Sony is getting a leap on them.

Also, not one mention of DX12 and Windows 10, really Microsoft? Really?

Phil said more news coming during the week and at GDC, I'm hoping we'll see more details then.

it wont work if you cant see 3D, the retina in my left eye is badly damaged so I cannot use it.

Hololens will work without seeing 3D. it's not even stereoscopic I believe. since it AR it doesn't need to be 3D. kind of like those "3D" view you could get on a monitor by putting a Wii sensor bar on your head. 

Phil said more news coming during the week and at GDC, I'm hoping we'll see more details then.

Yeah I think they wanted to make sure it was games games games.

There's going to be more game and feature news coming all week and even next week he said.  New Xbox One user experience on the way!

Going to be part of the windows 10 update. not exactly surprising, they already revealed a lot of stuff about it, like universal apps, and background apps that don't need to be snapped to play music/audio. 

Rundown:

Halo 5: Guardians

Recore (new 1st party IP)

Xbox 360 BC on X1

Elite controller

Fallout 4 w/ PC mod support

Titanfall added to EA Access. Dragon Age Inquisition being added at the end of Summer'15. EA Access free for E3 week to all XBL Gold members.

PvZ: GW2

Forza Motorsport 6

Dark Souls 3

The Division. Beta in December

RB6: Siege. Triple pack with Vegas 1 & 2.

Gigantic F2P on X1 and PC

ID@XBOX: Tacoma, Ashen, Beyond Eyes and Cuphead

Xbox Game Preview (Early Access). Every game has a free trial

Rise of the Tomb Raider releasing Nov '15

Rare collection. 30 Rare titles for $30

Sea of Thieves (new Rare IP)

Fable Legends

Valve VR support

Hololens and Minecraft demo

GoW Ultimate: 60fps/1080 remake. 1 week beta during E3 week

Gears 4 Holiday '16

Short on surprises. Glad they finally added BC, it was sorely missing from the console announcement.

Liking the look of the Elite controller. Hope it's beefed up compared to the standard.

I'm wondering what kind of compatibility exists between all this VR equipment and the XBone, Sony is getting a leap on them.

DX12 and Windows 10 is more of a GDC thing than an E3 thing. and windows 10 will be part of the New User experience briefing anyway.

I'm wondering what kind of compatibility exists between all this VR equipment and the XBone

au contraire, I think this is the beginning of a huge sea of change for VR/AR on the PC / XB1.

au contraire, I think this is the beginning of a huge sea of change for VR/AR on the PC / XB1.

Currently game devs will either have to code support for each VR setup or make them for only one of them. that is the actual headset support is easy enough to make for all different ones, it's when you add in the controllers and different control scemes you have to pick and chose as a dev.

I do expect some clever developer with an eye for making money to develop middleware soon enough. middleware guys and function libriaries (like euphoria) are probably the ones who make the most money in gaming and are the least known. 

• Like 1

anyone think they will release the 360 emulator for windows 10 (digital games)?

They could, and release them through the Windows Store etc, depends on the publishers/developers of each title.

So there really is going to be another Gears? I don't understand. The ending of 3 was pretty definitive. No more Locust, no more lambent. Are they reconning all of 3 or something?

edit: I just watched a clip. It look amazing, but it seems like they just have new monsters. I kind of wish it was just a new IP so that we could get different (better?) lore to go along with it.

Why bother when they have partnership w/ Ocelous and Valve.?

I'm sure HoloLens will be Xbox Compatible

So there really is going to be another Gears? I don't understand. The ending of 3 was pretty definitive. No more Locust, no more lambent. Are they reconning all of 3 or something?

No retcon I expect.  I think they're just going to use the old "it's a mutated strain of something that they didn't get rid of at the end of 3"  Remember, unless I"m wrong, the Lambent where mutated Locust, with a green glow, now in the new gameplay we have some orange glow, I figure these are mutated Lambent or something to that extent.

Like any virus, if you don't get rid of it quick enough there's always the chance it'll mutate, then you'll have to start over to find a new vaccine etc.

The new Gears game seemed very different though. the main guy didn't seem like a "gear" type of person, though he had parts of the armor and the weapons. it's either a side story or a prequel or it's another planet. I'm not directly familiar enough with the earlier GoW planet to recognize if the two moons are the same. The lambent was different from the yellow in previews Gears though. 

basically they showed a game, that seemed a lot more survival horror than previous games, and didn't reveal anything about what kind of game it was, the monsters where definitely new. 

They could, and release them through the Windows Store etc, depends on the publishers/developers of each title.

yeah that's what I was thinking, individual games can show up in the store, and the emulator is embedded in each game. if the emulator works fine on xbox one, then anyone with a mid range gaming pc should be able to run them.

yeah that's what I was thinking, individual games can show up in the store, and the emulator is embedded in each game. if the emulator works fine on xbox one, then anyone with a mid range gaming pc should be able to run them.

Right, they'd have to be self contained packages like what GoG does with old games and DOSBox, it could work, I think they're probably running the 360 OS in something like App-V on the Xbox One to get this to work.

Did anyone catch if the backwards compatibility was eventually going to include all 360 games or only some?

Did anyone catch if the backwards compatibility was eventually going to include all 360 games or only some?

Publishers must "opt in".

They hope for 100 games by launch later this year.

I really hope this does not set in motion XBL's retirement from 360...