E3 2015 Nintendo Digital Event Discussion

1. Don't launch a new console without the core set of games for it. Sony and Microsoft can get away with it, but not Nintendo. Imagine what the launch would have been if in 2012 Nintendo showed off Mario Kart 8, Zelda: The Wind Waker, mario 3d world. The only nintendo games that came with it were super mario bros and nintendoland. Sure it launched with quite a few third party games, but none of them were new...most people who would have wanted to play those games would have already played them on the PC/360/PS3.

2. Don't announce a game, build up a massive amount of hype about it and then keep quiet about it for the next year. Yes I am talking about you Legend of Zelda. Holy ###### when Nintendo showed that game off at E3 2013 it was mindblowing. Then the info tricked down and Nintendo said they weren't looking for a 2015 release anymore. Ok thats fine, stuff gets delayed...but then they stayed completely silent about it for months. Literally nothing new except for "we're still working on it." It looks like an amazing game and I've had it on pre-order since it was announced last year, but the hype is dying down and big time... Nintendo needs these games to keep Wii U sales up and they need to keep reminding gamers whats waiting for them should they choose the Wii U.

3. Listen to your customers. They love you, they love your games. Hell the Nintendo and Wii U subreddits are generally some of the most positive gaming subreddits on Reddit (sure its not the greatest example but still). It literally did a complete 180 degree turn, and got completely negative in a matter of minutes. People want Animal Crossing, not what you showed. People want paper mario, yet again not what you showed. People want a new mario game, not the mario tennis that you showed. People want a metroid game, yet again not what you showed.

The Wii U launch line-up was poor, but Nintendoland and Mario Wii U were not the only new games. What I find most frustrating when it comes to demands from Nintendo fans is where do you see people asking for Halo day one on Xbox? Or Uncharted on PS4? Why is it Nintendo have to go through extra hoops? There games are consistently high quality and rushing them out the door just to meet launch will not benefit that.

A game does not need to be in the spotlight constantly until it is launched. In fact, sometimes it does more harm than good. Plenty of games announced last year did not show up for MS, Nintendo and Sony. Again, why must Nintendo be singled out because they didn't show one game?

Nintendo is listening. We've had an installment in every classic franchise but Metroid on the Wii U, and considering the history of the series, it's no wonder they always leave it to last.

The Wii U launch line-up was poor, but Nintendoland and Mario Wii U were not the only new games. What I find most frustrating when it comes to demands from Nintendo fans is where do you see people asking for Halo day one on Xbox? Or Uncharted on PS4? Why is it Nintendo have to go through extra hoops? There games are consistently high quality and rushing them out the door just to meet launch will not benefit that.

I'm not saying that they need to be rushed to meet the release date, just that Nintendo needs to work on timing it so that their first party games are ready on launch.

Is the Wii U a bad system? No. But its launch lineup was incredibly week, most people do not buy a Nintendo to play Just Dance 2012. They buy it for Nintendo games, and that's why I said Microsoft and Sony can get away with it because most of their games are third party games. Nintendo has always been about first party games. Sure it would be nice and I would love if they got more third party support, but they haven't for a long time. The other thing was a lot of the games that were part of the wii u launch had already been out for months on the PS/360/PC...a ton of people already had played them.

That's the main reason why I waited so long to purchase a Wii U. I knew mario kart, zelda etc would be out but I'm not purchasing a system and then waiting a year or two for those games. Once they were out, it was pretty much instabuy.

I don't want them to rush anything, just to plan out their console releases so that new ones come out when some first party games are ready to be released. Either at launch or a couple of months later, not 1/2/3 years later.

Not to mention there were also plenty of people who complained the Xbox One and PS4 launch lineup was pretty weak too. So this isn't a criticism leveled just at Nintendo just something they can work on to help push more console sales.

A game does not need to be in the spotlight constantly until it is launched. In fact, sometimes it does more harm than good. Plenty of games announced last year did not show up for MS, Nintendo and Sony. Again, why must Nintendo be singled out because they didn't show one game?

I'm not saying that they had to show it at E3 or that they need to show it constantly. I'm saying they need to show SOMETHING.

They announced the game last year and then showed nothing since then. The hype for that game is pretty much all but completely dead now because nothing has been announced or shown.

And its not like Nintendo is being singled out. There's plenty of hate every year for Sony and MS. Hell most of my complaints against them (apart from the game showing at E3) are pretty tame in comparison to a lot of the ###### that gets said about Xbox and PS consoles / games. I have never owned a Xbox, and while I have a PS3 it technically belonged to my wife. The only consoles I have ever purchased myself are Nintendo ones.

Nintendo is listening. We've had an installment in every classic franchise but Metroid on the Wii U, and considering the history of the series, it's no wonder they always leave it to last.

Except that half that stuff is stuff NOBODY wanted.

That AC crap? Seriously? Literally nobody thought that was interesting, good, or really anything but crap.

Metroid? Yet again, it's not what people wanted.

Star Fox? Sweeet but I'm reserving my judgment on it...it just looks so dated. All the nintendo games so far look gorgeous, but star fox looks underwhelming. That said graphics aren't the only thing thats important about the game, hence why I'm reserving judgment on it until I have a chance to take a deeper look at it.

Literally the only new wii U games that were shown this year at E3 were Star Fox (we did see a tiny sliver of it at 2014 but not much), Mario Tennis, and that animal crossing one. Xenoblade was demonstrated and shown off last year, same with Mario Maker, same with Yoshis wooly world. Oh and then they tell us that the NX will be announced next year as hopefully Zelda too.

so you'd rather them rush the games and them be sub par?

I'll use Zelda for an example. in the last update a few months ago they said they wouldn't show Zelda at E3 this year. they also stated that the game most likely won't come out till next year because they've been given free rein of development. they are rolling with their ideas and will release the next Zelda when they feel it is ready and optimal

I personally don't mind waiting if it means the game will be amazing

Did I say rush it? The console is is coming up to 3 years old and still doesn't have a new zelda game, keep in mind it's one of Nintendo's leading games, how long was the Wii U in development for? Their announcement for the game was mind blowing.. why not do something like this for launch, or close enough? They missed a trick because it would have done so much for their console and they could have delivered new content in the form of DLC, over the lifespan of the console to keep it fresh.

• Like 2

Also, when the hell did Zelda or Metroid become Nintendo's baby? It has and always will be Mario.

yeah, link and samus are always going to be just support characters to mario. 

think nintendo, think mario first.

Did I say rush it? The console is is coming up to 3 years old and still doesn't have a new zelda game, keep in mind it's one of Nintendo's leading games, how long was the Wii U in development for? Their announcement for the game was mind blowing.. why not do something like this for launch, or close enough? They missed a trick because it would have done so much for their console and they could have delivered new content in the form of DLC, over the lifespan of the console to keep it fresh.

i agree. to not have a proper proper NEW zelda game in 2.5 years since the launch of the console does seem a bit daft.  as much as i love mario....

just watched star fox trailer.  :huh:    they really could not make it not look like it will be released on n64?

Hmm nothing of interest for me aside Star Fox. 

Rest is stuff weve seen, or DS games which again I have no interest in. Not least because they seem like a collection of indy titles / flash games than actual games.

Wheres Metroid & FZero? Wheres Zelda? Wheres a new Mario games akin to Galaxys? 

We`ve waited a year or more to hear about and see StarFox, despite the fact the press have known about it ages.

Total fail of a show for me.

• Like 2

I'd just like to point that that Nintendo always take several years to release a new major Zelda. Think back to the N64 days when Zelda 64 was the hype. It took 3 years to come out. And if you think that's bad, Skyword Sword took 5 years. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't have like to the new Zelda at E3, I'm just saying that we should all know by now that major Zelda games have always been released late in the console's lifespan.

New things that popped up during their treehouse events.

- The metroid they showed won't be the only metroid release, just one of the ones they are planning. Retro games is rumored to be making the "real" metroid, but once again thats only a rumor at this point.

- Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival will require amiibos (1 for each player) but the game itself will be free.

- Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival will have game modes other than the board game that was demoed yesterday.

---

Well thats least some good news but why couldn't they have announced it in the very beginning? It's like the whole AC thing, first they show that trailer, then later on they tell us "oh yeah btw you need to buy 4 amiibos for the game to work" which lead to people assuming it was a gigantic ripoff....and then a day later they're like "oh the game is free and it'll have more than just that board game"

New things that popped up during their treehouse events.

- The metroid they showed won't be the only metroid release, just one of the ones they are planning. Retro games is rumored to be making the "real" metroid, but once again thats only a rumor at this point.

- Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival will require amiibos (1 for each player) but the game itself will be free.

- Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival will have game modes other than the board game that was demoed yesterday.

---

Well thats least some good news but why couldn't they have announced it in the very beginning? It's like the whole AC thing, first they show that trailer, then later on they tell us "oh yeah btw you need to buy 4 amiibos for the game to work" which lead to people assuming it was a gigantic ripoff....and then a day later they're like "oh the game is free and it'll have more than just that board game"

Still no optimism from me, I just want a traditional AC for Wii U :(

The new Yoshi game is what I'm looking forward to most right now.

meh, I don't get all the AC and for that matter pokemon fascination, I'm probably to old.

AC is just laid back fun with some addiction based elements like collecting, growing and completing tasks that take time.

It's good to drop into a world like that between all the shooters, violence and fast paced adrenaline titles.

Sounds like 90% of annoying facebook/mobile games :p

Except you don't have to pay to actually make a slither of progress :p

Still no optimism from me, I just want a traditional AC for Wii U :(

The new Yoshi game is what I'm looking forward to most right now.

It depends. They really didn't say much except for "that game mode isn't the only part of Animal Crossing. However we not allowed to reveal anything more"

So who knows, guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Nobody was saying Nintendo abandoned Zelda...just that they wish they had shown something. There's a pretty big difference between those two things.

There are a lot of things Nintendo could have done better on day 1 of E3 and it pretty much came down to communication. The whole metroid, AC thing could have so easily not happened had Nintendo just said "here's a small part of the future games to come" which is pretty much what they said 2 days later during their Treehouse conferences anyways.

I think at the end of the day Nintendo was just expecting most people to watch the Treehouse events after. Most of the complaints I had against them were more or less cleared up by those events, literally I have only two complaints left...one being the whole communications thing, and the other....

I wish Nintendo hadn't mentioned that they were going to announce the NX in 2016. Mostly because of the Osborne effect, because now any new comers who are interested in the Wii U this holiday might end up waiting to see what the NX looks like. Nintendo should have kept that bit quiet (or at least mentioned it during the treehouse events, not one of the very first things on the digital event) imo especially when they're being so secretive about the upcoming game from Retro (metroid?) Animal Crossing, and Zelda games.

Nobody was saying Nintendo abandoned Zelda...

It was a flop because the abandoned Zelda and Metroid if they repeat the same boneheaded mistake with the NX it too will be a flop.

They should have shipped two of each by now and be working on a third.

The console is now out for two and a half years with no new Zelda game yes it was abandoned like Metroid.