SpaceX Updates (Thread 6)

Wow. Just ... ugh.

World's Smallest Violin indeed. I know the tune that it plays -- "Cry Me a River" by I Missed The Boat.

Subsidized. They have no idea what they are even talking about. Those so-called "subsidies" are monies that SpaceX and Orbital have earned. Contracts for services. Nothing less.

It's called "Free Enterprise". Capitalism. 

A LOT of aerospace/aviation organizations are subsidized in Europe. It's the only way they can compete globally with their high cost of living.

Charles A. Lurio @TheLurioReport

Understand that Boeing pushing HARD to reduce Commercial Crew funds to force NASA to 'downselect' to one provider - them.

Charles A. Lurio @TheLurioReport

Understand that Boeing pushing HARD to reduce Commercial Crew funds to force NASA to 'downselect' to one provider - them.

I don't know what is worse,.............Boeing's behavior...........or that of the.............. "involved" senators/congressmen.

This smells of desperation......They know SpaceX will kick there butts in space travel......as will other small startups.......time for Boeing to stay in their........"relegated"........niches.

Boeing should stick to making big fat expensive airplanes and leave space to the smaller, fast moving companies.

Yes....and ones that stay in the air...... :woot:

I don't know what is worse,.............Boeing's behavior...........or that of the.............. "involved" senators/congressmen.

This smells of desperation......They know SpaceX will kick there butts in space travel......as will other small startups.......time for Boeing to stay in their........"relegated"........niches.

Once again, lobbying for delays and general sabotage -- just like I suspected they would.

Too long in the "comfy seat" so now they need to strongarm and demand, like an old man refusing to give up his recliner when it's time to go to Assisted Living -- even though the yard is overgrown and the garage is a mess of cobwebs and half-finished projects, Gramp wants to start something new.

Let the kids take over, Gramp. Put the Dremmel down before you hurt yourself.

Sheesh.

I think that, in the end, it's going to take companies like SpaceX standing up to these morons and just telling them to screw off, they'll do it themselves, and if the gov wants to stand in their way, they'll just move operations to a less stupid country.

The cut isn't final yet, this was a Senate proposal and the House has already passed a larger allocation. Now the negotiations start, and members of the House leadership support Commercial Crew as is.

National Space Society stands by NASA, opposing Commercial Crew cuts...

(Washington DC, June 12, 2015) The National Space Society (NSS) strongly opposes the Senate Appropriations Committee's $344 million (27%) cut of the 2015 Commercial Crew budget requested by the Administration. The Senate cuts were $100 million more than those recently passed by the House. 

NSS stands with NASA administrator Charles Bolden when he said "By gutting this program and turning our backs on U.S. industry, NASA will be forced to continue to rely on Russia to get its astronauts into space - and to continue to invest hundreds of millions of dollars into the Russian economy rather than our own."  The two winners of the Commercial Crew competition, Boeing and SpaceX, have been making excellent progress, exemplified by the May 6th successful pad abort test of the SpaceX Dragon 2 crew escape system. Both are on track to fly astronauts in 2017 assuming funding is provided. 

Until Commercial Crew vehicles are flying, the only way for anyone to get to the ISS is the Russian Soyuz. Unfortunately, the Russian space program has recently displayed a worrisome lack of reliability. On May 16th the failure of the third stage of the Russian Proton resulted in the loss of the MexSat-1 communications satellite. During April, a Russian Progress M-27M carrying cargo to the ISS went out of control and was lost with all its contents. More recently, the unexpected firing of the engine of a Soyuz spacecraft attached to the ISS shifted its orbital position. Congress, which has underfunded and thus delayed Commercial Crew consistently, will bear a significant share of the responsibility if the next Russian accident results in injuries to astronauts or the abandonment of the ISS.

http://spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=46093

I reread the last 2 pages and ....jeez...did I ever post some really dry stuff....allow me to splurge and put something nice in this post....

Wallpapers for SpaceX are all over the place, custom ones to.....like....

Falcon 9 launch March 1, 2015

post-546174-0-39262900-1434261196.jpg

to this....

post-546174-0-27630100-1434261229.jpg

This is nice too...

post-546174-0-24301700-1434261274.jpg

enjoy... :D

• Like 1

Hey bud, it's Science and Technology. We're totally accustomed to "dry stuff". In fact, we rather like it.  :laugh: You haven't met my family .. talk about "dry".

My Mother was a Research Scientist for the University of Michigan Hospital. My Stepfather was an Administrator for a Medical Care Facility. Both are retired now.

One brother is a Mechanical Engineer. His wife is a Forensic Scientist. Their twin boys are into Robotics and Mechanical Engineering -- and they're in Grade School still.

My other brother is an Artist whose focus is Bronze and Metal Art. His stuff is on display in galleries in Portland, OR. His wife is a Nurse.

I'm the interesting one. I'm a Program and Game Developer, Indie Musician and a Dreamer with Engineering and Science interests who kinda wasted his potential in the eyes of the rest of his family. And I'm out to prove 'em wrong. ;)

• Like 1

Hey bud, it's Science and Technology. We're totally accustomed to "dry stuff". In fact, we rather like it.  :laugh: You haven't met my family .. talk about "dry".

My Mother was a Research Scientist for the University of Michigan Hospital. My Stepfather was an Administrator for a Medical Care Facility. Both are retired now.

One brother is a Mechanical Engineer. His wife is a Forensic Scientist. Their twin boys are into Robotics and Mechanical Engineering -- and they're in Grade School still.

My other brother is an Artist whose focus is Bronze and Metal Art. His stuff is on display in galleries in Portland, OR. His wife is a Nurse.

I'm the interesting one. I'm a Program and Game Developer, Indie Musician and a Dreamer with Engineering and Science interests who kinda wasted his potential in the eyes of the rest of his family. And I'm out to prove 'em wrong. ;)

You've just been voted as our "mothership" and systems developer.....and techno geek "go to" for our "adventure"..Your spare time will be on GPU simulations for advanced mining activities.....I will also send a memo with just under 100 ancillary duties..... :woot:

• Like 1

You've just been voted as our "mothership" and systems developer.....and techno geek "go to" for our "adventure"..Your spare time will be on GPU simulations for advanced mining activities.....I will also send a memo with just under 100 ancillary duties..... :woot:

Accepted. I'll just add that to my daily 'to-do' lists. 

Anyone want chili?  :laugh:

Niiiiice. The spicier the better! Add some Cornbread on the side and call it good. ;)

Speaking of chili, SpaceX served chili with truffle fries at one of its' dinner parties. Everyone was impressed with how forward-thinking they were to serve something like that at a usually-stuffy social thing such as that. Gotta love how they flick buggers at high society as much as they do at OldSpace.  :laugh:

SpaceX material then. Thanks for making my day. They hire people like me. :D

Ever put potatoes in your chili? Soaks up some of the chili juice. mmmmmmmmm

Yup, the little ones that are about 3/4" in size. Not always, but sooner or later someone puts in a request.