[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 Insider Program

Windows Technical Preview  

1,031 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5, 1 being worst, 5 being best. What do you think of Windows 10 from the leaks so far?

• 5.Great, best OS ever
    • 4. Pretty Good, needs a lot of minor tweaks
    • 3. OK, Needs a few major improvements, some minor ones
    • 2. Fine, Needs a lot of major improvements
    • 1.Poor, Needs too many improvements, all hope is lost, never going to use it
  2. 2. Based on the recent leaks by Neowin and Winfuture.de, my next OS upgrade will be?

• Windows 10
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 7
    • Sticking with XP
    • OSX Yosemite
    • Linux
    • Sticking with OSX Mavericks
  3. 3. Should Microsoft give away Windows 10 for free?

• Yes for Windows 8.1 Users
    • Yes for Windows 7 and above users
    • Yes for Vista and above users
    • Yes for XP and above users
    • Yes for all Windows users
    • No

Just realized that Mail got the ability to modify/create/delete folders. Not a feature that I use frequently, but it is nice to see that they added it.

Question: I have Education N from my school, i've trying to get Redstone builds and nothing shows up
So, are N editions of Windows supported on the Insider Preview or not?
Settings are all good, and yet nothing shows up, so i have no idea why i'm not getting builds. 

Here's the "sizzle video" that was shown off after the fedora guy spoke at BUILD.

Shows off lots of improvements like Cortana can now open and shut-down your PC, can be activated over lock screen. Also improvements to notification center. Calls and texts are handed off to PC. new all apps screen.

Also in 14295, file names are left justified 

New Outlook App

Edited by Ian S.
  • Like 2

Here's how the new Notification Center button will work (concept from the Feedback Hub):

https://sway.com/mNCInMc1lDitdaVK

Also in the Sizzle Video: new tabs view for Edge Tablet Mode:

There's more and more info coming out about this new update that they didn't talk about at build, now there's a post on winbeta that we're also going to get a true system wide dark theme.

2 hours ago, George P said:

There's more and more info coming out about this new update that they didn't talk about at build, now there's a post on winbeta that we're also going to get a true system wide dark theme.

Hmm Neowin hasn't been following the news about these features very well. I sent a news tip in about the video, and they could've done a ton of articles on the things in that video, but I haven't seen a single post. 

2 hours ago, Ian S. said:

Hmm Neowin hasn't been following the news about these features very well. I sent a news tip in about the video, and they could've done a ton of articles on the things in that video, but I haven't seen a single post. 

Maybe you'd be interested in a writing position? Why not give it a spin?

https://www.neowin.net/contact/apply

Can't wait to see the new Mail app arrive. The current version looks nice but suffers from lack of features, and could be better integrated with Cortana, Calendar, People, and Maps.

1 hour ago, zhangm said:

Maybe you'd be interested in a writing position? Why not give it a spin?

https://www.neowin.net/contact/apply

Can't wait to see the new Mail app arrive. The current version looks nice but suffers from lack of features, and could be better integrated with Cortana, Calendar, People, and Maps.

If only I had time, I would :) However, I just have to stick with sending in news tips. 

For the mail app that looks like it'll be the Outlook app, not the Mail app, the one that requires an O365 subscription. Hopefully they can improve the Mail app though with features from Accompli and Calendar with features from Sunrise on both PC and Mobile.

Here's a list of some of the things now available

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316

• Bash!
  • New emoji! (I love these so much :D)
  • More extensions for Edge! Pin It Button and OneNote Clipper
  • New Connect app that lets you bring Continuum experience from your phone (a Continuum-enabled Windows 10 phone is required) to your PC
  • Pin a window to all virtual desktops
  • We've separated the title bar colouring from the start menu, action center and taskbar, so you can keep your title bars white if that's what you like
  • Centralised dark theme switch for UWPs
  • New update progress experience
  • Updated Battery Settings and Saving options
  • New Active Hours Settings for Windows Update
  • COMMENTING IN THE FEEDBACK HUB (although, really, I kinda wanna make everything in this post all caps :p)
Edited by Anaya Shanaya

14 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

New Build is out

Sweet. Downloading now. Just happened to be scrolling through this thread at the perfect time... Hoping for some of that bash love in this build... Stoked!

Edited by Slaquor
ninja post

HOLY GUACAMOLE! There are so many new features!

My favorite coming soon:

Messaging Everywhere Preview Coming Soon: We will soon be enabling a preview of the “Messaging everywhere” feature in Windows 10 that allows you to send and receive text messages from your phone directly from your Windows 10 PC’s. You will see options for this feature in the Messaging app on PC however an update is required for the Messaging app for Mobile for this experience to work. More to come on this when the experience is live.

or maybe its the ability to pin a window so that it exists across all virtual desktops...

Cowsay and Fortune on Windows!!!!

2z7fknr.jpg 

5 hours ago, Anaya Shanaya said:

Here's a list of some of the things now available

Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316

• Bash!
  • New emoji! (I love these so much :D)
  • More extensions for Edge! Pin It Button and OneNote Clipper
  • New Connect app that lets you bring Continuum experience from your phone (a Continuum-enabled Windows 10 phone is required) to your PC
  • Pin a window to all virtual desktops
  • We've separated the title bar colouring from the start menu, action center and taskbar, so you can keep your title bars white if that's what you like
  • Centralised dark theme switch for UWPs
  • New update progress experience
  • Updated Battery Settings and Saving options
  • New Active Hours Settings for Windows Update
  • COMMENTING IN THE FEEDBACK HUB (although, really, I kinda wanna make everything in this post all caps :p)

All the update screens changed - not even ONE was kept from 14295.  They went with a smaller type, different color - different everything.

You can now access Programs and Features with NO stops at Control Panel -  System->Apps and Features->Programs and Features. (Why was I going to Programs and Features?  Installing the Ubuntu Subsystem for Windows beta, of course.)

On 3/29/2016 at 7:30 PM, BajiRav said:

My main Microsoft account has stopped syncing contacts on my phone in latest build, everything else works just fine. Strange. :/

well we are on the fast ring which says alot of issues will be there. I'm sure they'll fix it in the next build or whatever

19 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

well we are on the fast ring which says alot of issues will be there. I'm sure they'll fix it in the next build or whatever

What is an interesting twist is that the terms and conditions for Ubuntu on Windows are being hosted by Microsoft - not Canonical - https://aka.ms/uowterms.

Anyone else lose sound after the update?

UPDATE: Wow, dumb user error. Seems like the update reset my audio device to a USB one that I am not using anymore. Changed it and audio is fine.

To enable Cortana on Lockscreen:

Open Regedit

Navigate to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Speech_OneCore\Preferences\

Create new DWORD called VoiceActivationEnableAboveLockscreen

Set Value to 1

Reboot and enable Hey Cortana