At least 3 people dead/dozens injured after man drives into crowd in Graz, Austria


Recommended Posts

Jim K

 

At least three people are dead and dozens injured after a man drove his car into crowds in a square in the Austrian city of Graz.

 

The driver has been arrested but police have released no further details.

 

Part of the city has been sealed off and emergency services have launched a major operation.

 

Graz is Austria's second largest city and the square was hosting an event related to the nearby Austrian Formula 1 Grand Prix.

 

The regional governor confirmed that three people had died and 34 were injured, some seriously.

 

Governor Hermann Schuetzenhoefer told reporters that the suspect arrested was a 26-year-old man, describing him as "deranged".

 

"There is no explanation, there is no excuse," he added.

 

Police said initial investigations indicated the incident was not terror-related.

 

Sixty ambulances and four helicopters were sent to the scene.

 

Eyewitness Helmut Reinisch told the BBC he saw bodies lying on the ground "covered in blood," including a young boy.

 

He added that the car was travelling at least 100 km/h: "It was really horrible, everybody was shocked."    /snip

 

Also in the article it mentioned that there were unconfirmed reports that the driver, after exiting the vehicle, went around and was stabbing the survivors.

 

RIP   :(

 

 

 

BBC Link

Link to post
Share on other sites
+RNDM_STRNGR

RIP. What a lunatic. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rippleman

ban guns cars

ban people who don't understand the difference between function and purpose

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Steven P.
      Source: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49163169
       
      This, not long after Bianca Devins too.. another e-girl/Instagram influencer with a lot of followers, and again they believe this happened due to jealousy.
       
      It is sad, so young   
       
    • By Timi Cantisano
      Pocophone breaks down its global release for its $300 powerhouse smartphone
      by Timi Cantisano

      Since last week, there has been a lot of talk about the Pocophone F1. The handset comes from a new brand, which is an offshoot of juggernaut Xiaomi, and offers top-tier specifications, at a very low price. While the device will be made available in India for a starting price of $300 on August 29, the company today revealed the other regions where the phone will be available.

      Although a global release was previously mentioned, the firm didn't reveal details of where it could be purchased. As you can see from the picture at the top of the article, the release of the phone will be made available to many areas. If you live in the United States or Canada and were hoping for a release, you'll be disappointed, as the Pocophone F1 at this time will not be made available to those two regions.

      While the handset might not be the most elegant looking, the Pocophone F1 does have quite a set of specifications, making use of Qualcomm's Snapdragon 845 processor which will be paired with either 6GB or 8GB RAM. The phone has a large 6.18-inch 1080p IPS LCD display and dual camera sensors on the rear, comprised of one 12MP and a 5MP sensor, while the front-facing camera is a 20MP unit. The smartphone will have a USB Type-C port for charging and data and will be powered by a 4,000mAh battery.

      Despite it being available in more regions, the price of the device will not be the same as in India, where it starts at around $300 USD. If interested, you can check your local retailer to confirm availability and pricing.

      Update: Xiaomi reached out to provide an updated image of the slide which has now been added.

      Source: Tech Updates (Twitter) via GSMArena

    • By Usama Jawad96
      Norman is a psychopathic AI obsessed with murder, thanks to Reddit
      by Usama Jawad

      While Artificial Intelligence (AI) is quite an interesting field that can automate various industries and accelerate development in others, many people including Elon Musk have reservations regarding its capabilities. In the past, Musk has warned that AI needs to be regulated "before it's too late", and that AI-proponent Mark Zuckerberg's understanding of the AI threat is extremely limited.

      It now appears that the Tesla executive has good reason to be worried, because MIT researchers have created the "world's first psychopath AI", which is seemingly obsessed with murder.

      The researchers who built this AI have aptly decided to call it "Norman", based on the character from Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho; some of you might know him from A&E Network's Bates Motel. Norman was trained using data from the "darkest corners of Reddit", and then his responses were checked using Rorschach's inkblot tests. The researchers write that:

      The Rorschach Test revolves around an individual's perception of inkblots, with responses being analyzed using psychological interpretation. It has faced some controversy over the years, being called a form of pseudoscience because of its dependence on psychology rather than empirical data. That said, Norman's responses to the test are still pretty disturbing, to say the least. You can check out some of them below:

      At the end of the day, Norman's purpose is to depict the effect that biased training data can have on the output given by AI on the test data. The experiment also raises several questions regarding the use of AI in the future, particularly seeing how heavily dependent it is on unbiased data. That said, this is still a field that is being meticulously explored, and one can hope that researchers will be able to refine AI to the extent that it can tackle day-to-day human problems efficiently and correctly in the future.

      Source and images: MIT via The Verge

    • By Chasethebase
      The 2018 FIA Formula One World Championship is a planned motor racing championship for Formula One cars which would be recognised by the governing body of international motorsport, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA), as the highest class of competition for open-wheel racing cars. Starting in March and ending in November, the championship is due to be contested over twenty-one Grands Prix held in different countries throughout the world. Drivers and teams are scheduled to compete for the titles of World Drivers' Champion and World Constructors' Champion respectively.
       
      Lewis Hamilton is scheduled to defend his World Drivers' Championship, after winning his fourth at the 2017 Mexican Grand Prix. His team, Mercedes, are scheduled to defend their fourth consecutive Constructors' Championship after securing their win at the 2017 United States Grand Prix.
       
      An addition to the sport's technical regulations means that a new cockpit protection device referred to as the "halo", will be introduced for the 2018 championship.
       
      Signed Teams and Drivers
       

       
      Scheduled Events
       

       
      2018 Car Launches
       
      February 15th: Williams
      February 19th: Red Bull
      February 20th: Sauber
      February 22nd: Ferrari, Mercedes
      February 23rd: McLaren
      February 25th: Force India
      February 26th: Toro Rosso
      TBA: Haas
       
      2018 Winter Test Schedule
       
      February 26th - March 1st: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
      March 6th - March 9th: Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona
       
      Team Changes
       
      McLaren terminated their engine partnership with Honda and instead signed a three-year deal for power units supplied by Renault. The team cited Honda's repeated failure to supply a reliable and competitive power unit as being behind the decision to end the partnership. Toro Rosso parted ways with Renault–allowing McLaren to finalise their agreement with Renault–and came to an agreement to use Honda power units in 2018.As part of the deal, Red Bull Racing agreed to loan Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz Jr. to Renault's works team. Sauber renewed their partnership with Ferrari, upgrading to current-specification power units after having used older-model power units in 2017.  
      Driver Changes
       
      Toro Rosso signed 2016 GP2 Series champion Pierre Gasly and two-time World Endurance Champion Brendon Hartley as their full-time drivers for 2018. Both Gasly and Hartley made their Formula One débuts with the team in the latter stages of the 2017 championship. Daniil Kvyat left the team and the Red Bull driver programme, securing a development role with Ferrari. Charles Leclerc, the reigning Formula 2 champion, is scheduled to make his competitive début in 2018 with Sauber. Leclerc, who had previously driven in Friday practice sessions in 2016 and 2017, was hired by the team to replace Pascal Wehrlein. Wehrlein was ultimately unable to secure a seat but was nevertheless retained by Mercedes' driver development programme. Williams driver Felipe Massa retired from Formula One at the end of the 2017 championship. He was replaced by former Renault test driver, GP2 Series regular and SMP Racing driver Sergey Sirotkin, who will make his competitive début with the team.  
      Calendar Changes
       
      The French Grand Prix is scheduled to return to the calendar for the first time since 2008. The race is due to return to the Circuit Paul Ricard, which last hosted the French Grand Prix in 1990 before the event moved to the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours. The race is scheduled to be run in June, with the Azerbaijan Grand Prix brought forward to April to accommodate the change. The German Grand Prix is set to return to the championship as well after a one-year absence, with the Hockenheimring scheduled to host the race. The Malaysian Grand Prix–which was part of the championship from 1999 to 2017–was discontinued. The Russian Grand Prix was moved from April to September in order to replace the race.  
      Rule Changes
       
      Sporting regulations
      Following widespread criticism of the grid penalty system in 2017, the FIA introduced a revised set of regulations for 2018. In the event that a driver changes a power unit component, they will still be subject to a five- or ten-place grid penalty depending on the component being changed; however, should they then replace a second component, they will be moved to the back of the starting grid. If multiple drivers are moved to the back of the grid, their starting positions will be determined by the order that components were changed based on the most recent change made by each driver. The rules governing starting procedures will be changed for 2018, granting race stewards the power to issue penalties for improper race starts even if a driver's start does not trigger the automated detection system. The changes were introduced following two incidents during 2017; at the Chinese Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel positioned his car too far across his grid slot to be registered by the detection system; while at the Austrian Grand Prix, Valtteri Bottas's start was called into question for his reaction time despite the detection system recognising it as legal. The FIA introduced tighter restrictions on racing licences issued to drivers taking part in free practice sessions. Candidate drivers will be required to complete a minimum number of Formula 2 races or earn twenty-five superlicense points over a three-year period. The changes were introduced to address concerns about drivers who would not be able to meet the standards required to compete in Formula One having access to Formula One cars. Finally, the number of pre-season test days was reduced to seven, while the mid-season test held in Bahrain in 2017 will be moved to Barcelona.  
      Technical regulations
      The quantity of power unit components a driver may use during the season was reduced from four complete power units during the entire season in 2017 to a new system where each of the power unit components is considered separately. Therefore, in 2018, each driver will be permitted to use up to three each of internal combustion engines (ICE), heat motor generator units (MGU-H), and turbochargers (TC); and two each of the kinetic motor generator units (MGU-K), energy stores (ES), and control electronics (CE).[33] Further restrictions against the practice of oil burning, where engine oils are burned as fuel to boost performance, were also introduced. The practice, which was first used in 2017 saw teams burning as much as 1.2 litres per one hundred kilometres. For the 2018 championship, this figure was revised down to a maximum of 0.6 litres per one hundred kilometres. The FIA banned the use of "shark fins", a carbon fibre extension to the engine cowling aimed at directing airflow over the rear wing. The use of "T-wings", a horizontal secondary wing mounted forward of and above the rear wing, was also banned.  
      Driver safety
      The "halo" cockpit protection device – seen here on a Ferrari SF16-H during its testing phase in 2016 – was introduced for the 2018 championship. Following a series of serious incidents in open-wheel racing – including the fatal accidents of Henry Surtees and Justin Wilson – in which drivers were struck in the head by debris, the FIA announced plans to introduce additional mandatory cockpit protection with 2018 given as the first year for its introduction. Several solutions were tested, with the final design subject to feedback from teams and drivers. Each design was created to deflect debris away from a driver's head without compromising their visibility or the ability of safety marshals to access the cockpit and extract a driver and their seat in the event of a serious accident or medical emergency, with a series of serious accidents – such as the fatal accidents of Jules Bianchi and Dan Wheldon – recreated to simulate the ability of devices to withstand a serious impact. The FIA ultimately settled on the "halo", a wishbone-shaped frame mounted above and around the driver's head and anchored to the monocoque forward of the cockpit. Once introduced, the halo concept is scheduled to be applied to other open-wheel racing categories including Formula 2 and Formula 3. Following criticisms over the aesthetic value of the device, the FIA revealed plans to allow teams some design freedom in the final version of the halo, with the device being incorporated into the chassis design from its inception rather than attached once the design was completed. The mandatory crash tests that each chassis must pass were adjusted to include a new static load test. In order to simulate a serious accident, a tyre was mounted to a hydraulic ram and fired at the crash structure; to pass the test, the chassis and the mounting points for the halo had to remain intact. In order to prevent teams from exploiting the halo for aerodynamic gain and potentially compromising its purpose, the FIA banned teams from developing their own devices and instead required them to purchase pre-fabricated models from approved suppliers. Drivers will be required to wear gloves containing biometric sensors which record their vital signs in order to better assist marshals and recovery crews in assessing their condition in the event of an accident.  
      Tyres
      Tyre supplier Pirelli will provide teams with two new tyre compounds in 2018. Each of the 2017 compounds is scheduled to be made softer, with a new "hypersoft" tyre becoming the softest of the nine and a new "superhard" tyre to be the hardest. The hypersoft compound will be marked by a pink sidewall, while the superhard will be orange. The hard compound, which previously used orange markings, will now be changed to pale blue.[48] The rules dictating which tyres are available were relaxed to allow Pirelli to supply a wider range of compounds. Previously, Pirelli had to provide sequential compounds; for example, ultrasoft, supersoft and soft. In 2018, Pirelli is able to supply compounds with two steps of difference between them, e.g., the ultrasoft, supersoft and medium tyres. Pirelli will also be required to manufacture an additional tyre compound that is not intended for competition. This tyre will be supplied to teams for use in demonstration events to prevent teams from using demonstration events as informal – and illegal – testing.  
    • By Ben Esapa
      Facebook faces backlash after murderer uploads footage of his crime
      by Ben Esapa



      Facebook is facing backlash after footage of the killing of a Cleveland man was uploaded to Facebook by his murderer.

      Last Sunday, Steve Stephens filmed as he shot and killed Robert Godwin Sr., aged 74. Stephens subsequently posted footage of the murder to social media site Facebook, where it was viewed millions of times. Stephens later confessed to the murder in a video streamed to Facebook Live.

      Facebook has faced criticism over that fact that it took more than two hours for the video to be removed, meaning that it was shared thousands of times by Facebook users and uploaded to other sites. The grandson of the victim, Ryan A. Godwin, urged social media users on Twitter to stop sharing video of the murder:

      Since Facebook added the capability to livestream video from mobile devices back in January 2016, there have been several instances of violent video being shared in this manner. One example is the death of Philando Castile, a man in Minnestota who was shot by police last summer, a video of which was broadcast to Facebook Live by his girlfriend. Another example occurred this January, when three men in Sweden were arrested on suspicion of raping a woman and broadcasting it on Facebook Live.

      Vice President of Facebook, Justin Osofsky, stated in a public post yesterday that the company knows they "need to do better" to prevent videos such as the shooting of Godwin from circulating on the social media site. Osofsky further stated that Facebook is improving its reporting flows, and exploring methods such as Artificial Intelligence to prevent such videos from being shared.

      A warrant for Stephens' arrest has been issued, and a $50,000 reward has been issued for any information that could lead to his arrest. The police have asked people in Indiana, Michigan, New York, northeast Ohio and Pennsylvania to remain alert.

      Source: The New York Times