"Digital Entitlement" - New Licensing System Introduced In Windows 10

From Gabriel Aul: All win10 post-RTM builds(including Preview builds) must be installed on a device that has been installed with a activated 10240, otherwise you won't be able to activate it. i.e. the post-RTM builds must be installed on a device that has a legit "Digital Entitlement" recorded in MS servers. :)

VzBLdo7.jpg

• Like 2

I just reset my (activated) desktop (10525) and now it won't activate. Error code: 0xC004C003

I think this error is quite common, google " 0xC004C003" and see if one of those suggested fixes could help. :)

I think some time ago there were reports about "MS not planning for MS Edge on Android(and iOS) ". Well, this is the report from PCBeta News to-day, according to the article, MS has actually been testing it internally, and the screen-shot was from a "anonymous member": :)

http://www.pcbeta.com/viewnews-78401-1.html

jBRQ1Qf.png

Edited by FaiKee

This has me pretty irritated. Then again, I got Win7/8/8.1 for free through MSDNAA(Dreamspark), so I essentially got 3 keys for free (hooray!). I'm building my new rig, and I haven't decided if I'll use 10 or not. Between the privacy issues, and the constant "oh look what garbage we found", I'm a little skeptical.

So, this begs the question, how does this effect Virtual Machines?

This has me pretty irritated. Then again, I got Win7/8/8.1 for free through MSDNAA(Dreamspark), so I essentially got 3 keys for free (hooray!). I'm building my new rig, and I haven't decided if I'll use 10 or not. Between the privacy issues, and the constant "oh look what garbage we found", I'm a little skeptical.

So, this begs the question, how does this effect Virtual Machines?

I don't have any concern about win10's telemetry, it's just to personalize win10 and make Cortana a 'personal assistant"(or a secretary), my credit card companies had been releasing my personal info's to 3rd parties for years. :)

Ed Bott had a good article on it: http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

I think this error is quite common, google " 0xC004C003" and see if one of those suggested fixes could help. :)

Yeah, I couldn't find anything useful. I used the support app to talk to help desk and they couldn't help either. I ended up going back to Win7 and upgrading again.

Yeah, I couldn't find anything useful. I used the support app to talk to help desk and they couldn't help either. I ended up going back to Win7 and upgrading again.

If you are still unable to get it done, you could try this tweak from MDL to by-pass the upgrade: :)

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/64770-How-to-upgrade-from-W7-8-1-without-to-go-through-the-upgrade-process-itself-with-ease

Well when reading the full conversation on imgur, the guy did do it wrong. Fact is, if you start with a genuine Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1 and then 10 properly as he did, and it's all activated, you should be able to just add the new SSD and *clean install* Windows 10, skip product key screen and after a while it'll activate, this process only works if you have upgraded in the first steps.

The hardware allows certain changes (up to 5 maybe I can't remember) before you have to call MS support for reactivation, it looks like this guy did some extracting of the updated key and tried to use that to activate, which is probably the reason it failed. Windows 10 installs from upgrade are keyless when reinstalling/doing a clean install.

I admit though, it is confusing.. but this guy did it wrong and probably had his machine blacklisted/deactivated this way.

To fix he'll now have to install 8/8.1 and upgrade for free again, or Microsoft will have to play nice and remote activate his machine (although it doesn't help that his keys are now in the public domain).

Well when reading the full conversation on imgur, the guy did do it wrong. Fact is, if you start with a genuine Windows 8, upgrade to 8.1 and then 10 properly as he did, and it's all activated, you should be able to just add the new SSD and *clean install* Windows 10, skip product key screen and after a while it'll activate, this process only works if you have upgraded in the first steps.

The hardware allows certain changes (up to 5 maybe I can't remember) before you have to call MS support for reactivation, it looks like this guy did some extracting of the updated key and tried to use that to activate, which is probably the reason it failed. Windows 10 installs from upgrade are keyless when reinstalling/doing a clean install.

I admit though, it is confusing.. but this guy did it wrong and probably had his machine blacklisted/deactivated this way.

To fix he'll now have to install 8/8.1 and upgrade for free again, or Microsoft will have to play nice and remote activate his machine (although it doesn't help that his keys are now in the public domain).

The guy might have both his device and win8.1 key flagged, could only wish him good luck.

WPA since XP allows 3 changes, I remember in win8 times on reading MS forums, a MS engineer explained that 3 changes are allowed, don't know if they had changed anything for win10.

Btw, many people thought that if you change mobo, you won't be able to re-activate, a MS guy told me some time ago that if you change mobo, you could still try phone activate, the main point is if MS is convinced that it is still same device, then they would give you the codes. :) 

Remeber guys this happened to me on the pre RTM.

Either microsoft have some kind of security system that deactivates systems it thinks are been rogue, or there is a bug, I did have a thoery its linked to the microsoft account, but I dont think they would be that stupid as plenty of people will use only a local account including myself on non insider machines (if I ever upgrade production machines).

What it seems to me is that windows 10 retail licenses will work the same way as before, but they not been pushed much and are expensive.

Win 7/8 retail licenses are effectively been converted to OEM licences when the upgrade is carried out.  According to microsoft as I asked about multi activation technet keys, the entire key will not be deactivated for older windows, but just one activation removed.  I will test this next month when I try to reuse my Win7 technet pro key that I used on my insider pc on another machine.

Finally also as I said weeks ago, there will be no more insider activation keys.  You need to have a pre activated windows from now on for insider builds to activate.

Interesting screen-shot posted in Weibo, probably by some internal tester, and it seems you could choose to update to Windows 10 Mobile build 10514 or 10536. :)

http://www.weibo.com/1296790803/CzS6GyUFZ?type=comment#_rnd1441864462864

A9KvRlW.jpg

Are you sure?  I can't tell from the screen shot but I think it's just going to install both, like it always does, 10514 and then right after 10536.

Are you sure?  I can't tell from the screen shot but I think it's just going to install both, like it always does, 10514 and then right after 10536.

I have no idea, the guys said it's a very slow download and was still sownloading. :(

Going from 8.1 to final 10 might be the case this time around, but after that the updates have been cumulative on WP, so to get the newest update, say 8.1.2, you'd go through and install 8.1.1 first and then 8.1.2 instead of jumping right to 8.1.2.  This could change with 10 though, we'll have to wait and see.  I hope it does, I'd like them to be able to push out smaller OS updates like full desktop Windows gets and not whole OS images.

If you still wonder about the term "Digital Entitlement", Samsung has actually mentioned it in their official help page dated Jul 23, earlier than the Win10 RTM release date 7/29: http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=630081&modelname=NP-R580I&modelcode=&session_id=V0tzvmPLkrvQpNJdGQZhzxZHQhnSkMDxLnHQQ5jG45cJvJy1pv2Q!-28248919!-1833246254!1437904307094&from_osc=%23&homeid=44969

PPKAYgU.jpg

It is a 63-digit string unique to the device, MS Activation Server will record the Digital Entitlement along with the device's HWID:

-The Digital Entitlement is to identify the win10 and the device installed.

-the HWID is to determine whether it is the same device, I believe if 3 items were changed, it would ask for re-activation.