Edge Virus Warning!!

Not edge, but the website

HOWEVER!!!!: Edge and I noticed IE does not have an option to prevent a website for displaying anymore messages like on Chrome! Which means the website can keep spamming you and not allow you to close the tab.

Search Google: "prevent this page from creating additional dialogs chrome"

Yes, and it's fine. You haven't caught anything except a bit of a headache.

If you feel the need to pay for a solution, I'd recommend ESET's Nod32.

Yeah I use ESET as well.

MSE/Defender is minimal protection. It would be like sleeping with a prostitute using a sandwich bag as a condom.

• Like 2

Even though I have Edge working again, I am using the new Firefox and it's pretty nice.

Don't let this "incident" put you off Edge. Being a sandboxed app, in terms of virus susceptibility, it's probably the safest browser of all them on Windows. As Max and I said a few posts back, what you had was just a scam. Go to the same page in Firefox and it'll do the same thing. Granted it wont re-load the same tabs after re-launching the browser.

Also if you do continue on with Edge, I strongly recommend getting AdGuard... at least until Edge's extension support comes in a couple of months time.  AdGuard not only cleans ads from pages, but also blocks malware and phishing sites. It's also very lightweight, using under 30 MB of RAM.

Anyone who praises Windows Defender or MSE is an idiot. A free AV like Avast or Bitdefender would be a worth while upgrade.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It works as well as Avast and Bitdefender free and doesn't have ads in it.

• Like 3

Anyone who praises Windows Defender or MSE is an idiot. A free AV like Avast or Bitdefender would be a worth while upgrade.

No need to call me an idiot. I'm a long time computer builder and user and know what I am doing. I used BitDefender for a long time and then some time back here on Neowin people began praising MSE so I decided to use it.

Defender is just fine.  It doesn't waste my CPU doing its stupid bullcrap in the background, I've been burned too many times by free AV software that randomly decides "hey now would be a great time for me to do some random stupid scan, oh were you playing a game? Hah! hope you enjoyed your FPS cause it's gone now buddy"

I don't bother with that crap anymore.  Defender stays out of my way, I don't notice it's there, and I never get viruses.  Ever. 

• Like 3

Hi guys, just for the record. AdGuard wouldn't have caught this. I've therefore submitted its URL to them. I've also submitted it as a phishing site to Microsoft given that it tries to get you to call and obviously NOT toll free number.

Also, I was able to close the tab of this page through a bit of determination without killing the browser. If you keep pressing enter on the message, Edge spawns a new tab. That then lets you right click the tab with the scam in it to open that tab in a new windows. Then... and here's the tricky part that'll remind you of playing track and field games on your computer from yesteryear...  put the mouse point over that window's X button, then repeated and alternately press the space bar on the message, and click the X. Time it right, and you'll close that window and the scam page.

Defender is just fine.  It doesn't waste my CPU doing its stupid bullcrap in the background, I've been burned too many times by free AV software that randomly decides "hey now would be a great time for me to do some random stupid scan, oh were you playing a game? Hah! hope you enjoyed your FPS cause it's gone now buddy"

I don't bother with that crap anymore.  Defender stays out of my way, I don't notice it's there, and I never get viruses.  Ever. 

I actually am either very lucky or just practice very safe browsing habits, but back in the XP days I did my internets completely unprotected and never had a problem. I used MSE when I switched back to Windows and never had a problem either, but I got a great deal on ESET so I ended up getting that because of the reviews. It also has a "gamer mode" that would prevent the situation you described.

• Like 2

Wouldn't go that far.  If you been around computers for a while and know what you are doing, then that would be fine.  I wouldnt trust it tho when it comes to novices and just people who do silly things tho.  Seen to many systems infected with malware/viruses that relied on MSE/variants.  Just not good protection.  MS has a long way to go here.  And regardless of what AV I am using, I always use a different program or two periodically to scan systems.  Not ever program catches everything.

I actually am either very lucky or just practice very safe browsing habits, but back in the XP days I did my internets completely unprotected and never had a problem. I used MSE when I switched back to Windows and never had a problem either, but I got a great deal on ESET so I ended up getting that because of the reviews. It also has a "gamer mode" that would prevent the situation you described.

Would rather not spend the money when the free solution I've got now works fine :)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It works as well as Avast and Bitdefender free and doesn't have ads in it.

WRONG --> https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

I have never seen an ad with Avast and even if there were who cares if it is something that actually works and is free?

No need to call me an idiot. I'm a long time computer builder and user and know what I am doing. I used BitDefender for a long time and then some time back here on Neowin people began praising MSE so I decided to use it.

Technically, I was calling the people who praised Windows Defender and MSE an idiot. You just took bad advice... Sorry for the misunderstanding.

NO - It's 2015 and AV software is relatively resource non-intensive these days unless you have like a 5 year old rig and/or DSL service. You have never heard of gaming mode or scheduling a scan?

Wouldn't go that far.  If you been around computers for a while and know what you are doing, then that would be fine.  I wouldnt trust it tho when it comes to novices and just people who do silly things tho.  Seen to many systems infected with malware/viruses that relied on MSE/variants.  Just not good protection.  MS has a long way to go here.  And regardless of what AV I am using, I always use a different program or two periodically to scan systems.  Not ever program catches everything.

I have been "around" computers for like 30 years now and my last virus infection (2nd one overall) was like 15 years old ago (stupid and long story) and generally agree with you but... Anyone can mistype the wrong URL or just go to a everyday site that is serving infected ads (use an adblocker!). Installing a free AV is just a good idea and it's no skin off your nose.

Edited by oldtimefighter

Malwarebytes or all of the Anti-virus program doesn't promise to protect you from malware on your computer, everyone.  It is not Edge itself!  it is all browser problem like Chrome, Firefox, and etc. I don't want anything AV or internet security on my computer.

One thing I'm unclear on with Edge though... being essentially a Metro app, is it even possible to contract a virus through it, or for it to modify your hosts file? I thought all "metro" apps were sandboxed. Also without it being elevated (can you even elevate a metro app?), it wouldn't have rights to change any files within the windows or program files folders.

Go into PowerShell and see Edge's privileges using:

gc ((Get-AppxPackage | where Name -match "MicrosoftEdge").InstallLocation + "\AppxManifest.xml")

In the capabilities section I see:

<Capabilities>
                <Capability Name="internetClient"/>
                <Capability Name="privateNetworkClientServer"/>
                <wincap:Capability Name="confirmAppClose"/>
                <rescap:Capability Name="extendedExecutionBackgroundAudio"/>
                <rescap:Capability Name="extendedExecutionUnconstrained"/>
                <rescap:Capability Name="packageQuery"/>
                <uap:Capability Name="enterpriseAuthentication"/>
                <uap:Capability Name="sharedUserCertificates"/>
                <wincap:Capability Name="liveIdService"/>
                <wincap:Capability Name="cortanaSettings"/>
                <DeviceCapability Name="location"/>
                <DeviceCapability Name="microphone"/>
                <DeviceCapability Name="webcam"/>
        </Capabilities>

Looking these up on MSDN (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt270968.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) we can see what Edge is permitted to do, which is:

• The internetClient capability indicates that apps can receive incoming data from the Internet. Cannot act as a server. No local network access.
  • The privateNetworkClientServer capability provides inbound and outbound access to home and work networks through the firewall.
  • The confirmAppClose restricted capability allows apps to close themselves, their own windows, and delay the closing of their app.
  • The extendedExecutionBackgroundAudio restricted capability allows apps to play audio when the app is not in the foreground.
  • The extendedExecutionUnconstrained restricted capability allows apps to begin an unconstrained extended execution session.
  • The packageQuery device capability allows apps to gather information about other apps.
  • The enterpriseAuthentication special capability is typically used in line-of-business apps that connect to servers within an enterprise.
  • The sharedUserCertificates special capability enables an app to access software and hardware certificates, such as certificates stored on a smart card. This capability is typically used for financial or enterprise apps that require a smart card for authentication.
  • The location capability provides access to location functionality that is retrieved from dedicated hardware like a GPS sensor in the PC or is derived from available network info.
  • The microphone capability provides access to the microphone’s audio feed, which allows the app to record audio from connected microphones.
  • The webcam capability provides access to the video feed of a built-in camera or external webcam, which allows the app to capture photos and videos.
  • "liveIdService" - not described
  • "cortanaSettings" - not described

The only slightly scary sounding one here is extendedExecutionUnconstrained which actually just means that the app can request that it gets more time to complete pending tasks before Windows kills it off.

• Like 2

Malwarebytes or all of the Anti-virus program doesn't promise to protect you from malware on your computer, everyone.  It is not Edge itself!  it is all browser problem like Chrome, Firefox, and etc. I don't want anything AV or internet security on my computer.

patseguin, this would be a good example of advice to ignore... How do comments I would expect to see on my Facebook feed (if I still used Facebook) get on a tech blog like Neowin?

Something like this only becomes a browser problem for those who don't run real AV software!!!

Faster,

1. Create a page with endless alerts

2. Put link on Microsoft Edge Blog and / or send in email to Microsoft employees

patseguin, this would be a good example of advice to ignore... How do comments I would expect to see on my Facebook feed (if I still used Facebook) get on a tech blog like Neowin?

Something like this only becomes a browser problem for those who don't run real AV software!!!

You should have never referred to anyone as an idiot, only shows what type of "<insert whatever>" you are.

Doesn't matter what AV software the OP was running, the OP would have still had the same problem.  The homepage of the browser was changed when they clicked on the link.

Take your software bashing elsewhere.

NO - It's 2015 and AV software is relatively resource non-intensive these days unless you have like a 5 year old rig and/or DSL service. You have never heard of gaming mode or scheduling a scan?

Again, why should I run 3rd party software when the 1st party software is doing a perfectly fine job?   I have never heard of gaming mode because, newsflash, defender doesn't need it.  I don't need to interact with it, it just works.  Why mess with it?  And lose the attitude while you're at it. 

• Like 2

visit your nearest local windows service center huh... must be another of those Indian Windows scams... that's the only place I hear that term is from "windows support" centers in india trying to scam you...

I'm not sure I should say anything... BUT... I've been calling a number very similar to that one for months.  I've called about 500 times just to screw with them.  I've recorded some and put them on soundcloud.  Should I share?

You should have never referred to anyone as an idiot, only shows what type of "<insert whatever>" you are.

Doesn't matter what AV software the OP was running, the OP would have still had the same problem.  The homepage of the browser was changed when they clicked on the link.

Take your software bashing elsewhere.

I only referred to unknown and hypothetical people the OP said praised Windows Defender in the past as idiots. Who could have guessed people would be commenting Windows Defender is just dandy on this thread?

People, please stop saying good AV software can't stop browser hijacking!

You really tell me to go somewhere else because I have an opinion you don't like? Only shows what type of "<insert whatever>" you are...

Again, why should I run 3rd party software when the 1st party software is doing a perfectly fine job?   I have never heard of gaming mode because, newsflash, defender doesn't need it.  I don't need to interact with it, it just works.  Why mess with it?  And lose the attitude while you're at it. 

You didn't read the link I posted? Windows Defender dead last in AV-TEST round up. You can use Google, which I am sure you know how to use to read other AV reviews that all will rate Windows Defender poorly.

Windows Defender doesn't need a gaming mode because it doesn't offer almost any of the real time protections any decent free AV does!

I don't get viruses either and wouldn't even with Windows Defender but you never know. One mistyped URL and bam!

Anyone who calls people idiots for their opinion is probably not the sharpest tool in the shed themselves.