Edge Virus Warning!!

Not edge, but the website

HOWEVER!!!!: Edge and I noticed IE does not have an option to prevent a website for displaying anymore messages like on Chrome! Which means the website can keep spamming you and not allow you to close the tab.

Search Google: "prevent this page from creating additional dialogs chrome"

Doesn't help in chrome either for some sites... they've coded their scripts in a way now that even checking the prevent popups checkbox you can still get stuck in an infinite loop and have to kill the process... seen that a few times now

Wouldn't go that far.  If you been around computers for a while and know what you are doing, then that would be fine.  I wouldnt trust it tho when it comes to novices and just people who do silly things tho.  Seen to many systems infected with malware/viruses that relied on MSE/variants.  Just not good protection.  MS has a long way to go here.  And regardless of what AV I am using, I always use a different program or two periodically to scan systems.  Not ever program catches everything.

Agreed. Novice users should not just rely on MSE or Windows Defender as it is offers very minimal protection. I've personally used AVG Free for years and after trying Bitdefender Total Security and comparing system performance I am very pleased as of today and should've been using it all along.

patseguin, this would be a good example of advice to ignore... How do comments I would expect to see on my Facebook feed (if I still used Facebook) get on a tech blog like Neowin?

Something like this only becomes a browser problem for those who don't run real AV software!!!

AV Software wouldn't of stopped this....... heck I have systems with bitdefender on them and I can still get sites like this to go into a never ending javascript popup loop... it doesn't fit their detection heuristics.. now they can block commonly known sites that have this issue, but that's a never ending non-winning battle 

I'm not sure I should say anything... BUT... I've been calling a number very similar to that one for months.  I've called about 500 times just to screw with them.  I've recorded some and put them on soundcloud.  Should I share?

oh ive done it too... lead them into vm's that recorded everything they do... all they do is paste a batch file into command prompt to make it look like the system is doing some check by running a tree command to list all files on the drive then show events manager and say look at all these bad events... then turn that into "we found xxxx number of problems and viruses" it's so stupid its almost funny but then you realize normal people fall for this because they have no clue

• Like 1

Technically, I was calling the people who praised Windows Defender and MSE an idiot. You just took bad advice... Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ah, that makes more sense. Sorry I bit your head off.

• Eric locked this topic