New Content broken

Good spot, editing now

Cheers, it's better now. A couple more glitches to report, in case you were not aware of them already...

nSmnsf6.png 

1. On the "All Results" view, there is still that VNC_PREV_ALL tag.

2. Since it's an "All Results" view, there should be a monthly span, as illustrated.

I think we need to wait until we can upgrade to the latest version before we waste time fixing stuff that might be bug related. We're on 4.0.11 and since then 4.0.12, 4.0.12.1 and 4.0.13 have been released, each of which fix core bugs (although we have already applied the security patches for those releases).

I think we need to wait until we can upgrade to the latest version before we waste time fixing stuff that might be bug related. We're on 4.0.11 and since then 4.0.12, 4.0.12.1 and 4.0.13 have been released, each of which fix core bugs (although we have already applied the security patches for those releases).

Well the reason I mentioned those is because @DaveLegg said that Invision are helping today and checking if they can back-port a fix from 4.1. I simply wanted to make sure that those issues are known (either as "we know about these already, they will be fixed in x.x.xx" or "oh shoot, these are new things we aren't aware of, let's rustle up some hamsters to nip them in the bud ASAP") and will be cured sooner rather than later.

P.S. From previous post, I meant to say that it's NOT supposed to spanned by month. Just wanted to make that clear.

The New Content section has worked for me. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Hopefully the glitches have been taken care of for you!

The New Content section has worked for me. Not sure why it isn't working for you. Hopefully the glitches have been taken care of for you!

cool.  when, if ever, a full forum spy is is coming back?

It wasn't working properly on Tuesday but started working better yesterday. @DaveLegg said that Invion would be working on it yesterday and I was simply curious whether it working much better now was a result of the fix implemented or just something else.

We are in the process of incremental forum upgrades, as per Steve. I am well aware of some of the more glaring bugs and the Admins / Devs are working to knock them off the "to do" list. I am not sure when these will be complete, but we will let you know when we get them in place. 

and the full forum spy is still missing in action, even though the month long conversion was over for while now.

While I am sure that it is detrimental to some, I am more worried about New Content not working. May I ask what the issue is and when it is going to be fixed? Thanks.

While I am sure that it is detrimental to some, I am more worried about New Content not working. May I ask what the issue is and when it is going to be fixed? Thanks.

seems ok to me, i use it all the time.  just checked.   it's fine.  (firefox, windows8.1)

if it stops working there will be no way to track new posts, and the forums will lose even more people that they already lost switching to ipb4 :(

The latest word on this is, due to some sql database issues this will not get a permanent fix until we upgrade to 4.1, which includes fixes for it.

To make it crystal clear for everyone, the new content and activity issues are a 4.0 limitation/bug relating to large sites like ours. Many other large sites have not even upgraded yet and they are actually monitoring our progress and problems with it. It's ironic that we were always one of the last to upgrade, and when we decided to go a bit quicker this time we've pretty much only run into brick walls.

Thanks to our issues, IPS have implemented several fixes for 4.1, which will come out in October, and we will be immediately upgrading to it, because the changes actually relate to our site (in some cases).  

The upgrade will not require a conversion like from 3 > 4.

Thanks to our issues, IPS have implemented several fixes for 4.1, which will come out in October, and we will be immediately upgrading to it...

Thanks Steve, so the wait goes on. By "October", have IPS indicated whether it's in a fortnight or in over a month?

• 2 weeks later...

Well new content filtering by "topics you posted" now works, so...

Hmm, indeed. Though it's a bug in itself that having "...items I have posted in" and "...items I started" checked only shows items I started.

I suspect they're not meant to be checked at the same time. as "items I posted in" would also include "items you started"... so they're probably considered incompatible and one overrides the other. 

I suspect they're not meant to be checked at the same time. as "items I posted in" would also include "items you started"... so they're probably considered incompatible and one overrides the other. 

Wanting to see both threads posted in and started shouldn't clash, so there is still a bug in there somewhere. Further still, some may argue that, since posting in a thread and starting one are distinctive actions, threads started should be listed when "posted in" box is checked.

• 2 months later...
16 minutes ago, vanx said:

So, in the new version of the forum, how do I achieve the same objective (seeing all content I have posted in)? I have set my stream settings as follows, but it finds nothing...

Change "Content items only" to "Content items, comments, and reviews"

Otherwise the option appears to only list topics you've created rather than topics you've replied to. Not sure what the other option shows, actually. Shows me one topic I replied to, not one I created. The "Content items, comments, and reviews" shows me all the topics I've replied to.

5 minutes ago, Jeston said:

Change "Content items only" to Content items, comments, and reviews"

Otherwise the option appears to only list topics you've created rather than topics you've replied to.

I tweaked the stream filters, but now it shows me my posts instead of the list of threads I participated in with indication of whether there have been any further posts and when, etc, i.e. the typical "New Content" view that was there before the 4.1 upgrade.

26 minutes ago, vanx said:

So, in the new version of the forum, how do I achieve the same objective (seeing all content I have posted in)? I have set my stream settings as follows, but it finds nothing...

Iu0SWvL.png

You don't, IPB killed new content and replaced it with this crappy web 2.0 pos that can't do what the simpler, easier and faster new content could do. on top of that it was the worst layout ever in comparison.  meh

It's also broken, so if you set it to show stuff you posted in, it shows like 1-3 topics...

I really wish Neowin would just ditch IPB an switch to something civilized that works and where the company is actually making a product for their users and not to for their own coders and designers to have a playground to test new stuff in. 

I played around with it some more and have a few more bits of feedback:

1. Changing from expanded to condensed view after setting up stream filters actually resets them, which it definitely should not do. Bug.

2. While in the condensed view, scrolling to the bottom of the list and clicking "Load More Activity" actually loads unrelated content that has nothing to do with filters set. Bug

3. Unread Content should not be a list of threads with a byline for each saying "vanx replied to", it should be a list of threads I posted in with an indication of who was the last to post in them and when. After all, while it is somewhat about me, it is more about unread content. Design flaw.