New Content broken

I got the idea from the fact that IPS4 was completely rewritten (as far as I know) and therefore custom stuff would also need to be rewritten. Unless your custom CMS just pull stuff from the database and doesn't use the template system or anything like that.

6 hours ago, Simon said:

Well, we wouldn't hire someone who clearly has no respect for our team, if that's what you mean by "not that short staffed".

Yes, we're all working weekends and evenings. I just put a whole weekend into the site. We are fixing things, but new content is complicated for a handful of reasons. I know it's annoying, but it's not an overnight fix.

Hire? Heh, I offered pro bono. No by saying "not that short staffed" I was referring to the silence involved whenever I mention it. That tells me apparently there is more than enough people to handle the workload. 

Unless of course, that is just a way of disrespectfully declining the offer from a forum member. I have a lot more respect for at least giving a reply of "we appreciate the offer but respectfully decline" than sheer silence on the matter. I suspect anyone who offers to give a helping hand for free feels that way. 

Edited by adrynalyne

33 minutes ago, Danielx64 said:

I got the idea from the fact that IPS4 was completely rewritten (as far as I know) and therefore custom stuff would also need to be rewritten. Unless your custom CMS just pull stuff from the database and doesn't use the template system or anything like that.

As I said, it's completely separate from IPB, has it's own database, and completely separate source code, it doesn't depend on IPB for anything other than member data, and news comments, which are now synced with the forums.

17 minutes ago, DaveLegg said:

As I said, it's completely separate from IPB, has it's own database, and completely separate source code, it doesn't depend on IPB for anything other than member data, and news comments, which are now synced with the forums.

Interesting. Are you running a stored procedure that creates a forum post with the same content when a news article is posted?

7 hours ago, HawkMan said:

You also don't need to respect/like someone to accept their help or work with them. 

I wholeheartedly disagree. Mutual respect fosters better code. But that's fine. 

What are the main issues you guys hate about activity streams? (this thread is about new content section after all) Just to try and focus on possible things that can be improved rather than a whole "move to a new platform" message.

I think it could be improved by restoring:

• Pagination over Load more content
  • A layout more similar to the old view new content
  • Easier to get to the latest post in the thread rather than clicking the dot (its reportedly being changed in IPB soon so clicking the title takes you to the latest unread)
  • 301 redirect via nginx/apache for the old location of view new content to the newer urls
  • Speed (IPB have a fix coming to boost page processing time in 4.1.6 though and it has made a big difference on their site, right now though if the default stream is edited to ignore likes/follows it would help)

I do like activity streams flexibility with the ability to create your own streams to use and load which does make it easier to monitor sections or keywords but the layout and speed need to be improved. I love  the fact you can grab an rss feed (the icon on the far right, pretty hidden though) of the stream to make it easy to monitor using ustart or other rss feed platforms.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎.‎12‎.‎2015 at 4:36 PM, ZeroHour said:

What are the main issues you guys hate about activity streams? (this thread is about new content section after all) Just to try and focus on possible things that can be improved rather than a whole "move to a new platform" message.

I think it could be improved by restoring:

• Pagination over Load more content
  • A layout more similar to the old view new content
  • Easier to get to the latest post in the thread rather than clicking the dot (its reportedly being changed in IPB soon so clicking the title takes you to the latest unread)
  • 301 redirect via nginx/apache for the old location of view new content to the newer urls
  • Speed (IPB have a fix coming to boost page processing time in 4.1.6 though and it has made a big difference on their site, right now though if the default stream is edited to ignore likes/follows it would help)

I do like activity streams flexibility with the ability to create your own streams to use and load which does make it easier to monitor sections or keywords but the layout and speed need to be improved. I love  the fact you can grab an rss feed (the icon on the far right, pretty hidden though) of the stream to make it easy to monitor using ustart or other rss feed platforms.

What does the flexibility to create your own streams help when they don't work. Still can't make a working "content I posted in" stream.