11-year-old charged with murdering 8-year-old after argument about puppies

An 11 year old is plenty old enough to know right from wrong. They the their owns lives away.

I agree with the FloatingFatMan on this one!

I knew better at 11, heck even at 10 what was right and wrong.

• Like 1

I agree that every household is different. However, I wholeheartedly disagree with putting this young man in the "victim" category. The only victim here is that poor little girl. 

I can find it hard to believe he was born a devil. If the only way he managed to respond to a refusal is by gun and murder, at this age, he is a victim here also, of his upbringing, of his trailer park life, who knows of what else.

Two posters already brag about their exemplary conscience levels at the age of 10-11. I find that hard to believe. Looking back, I can honestly say that luck and not the good education I was provided with nor good conscience have kept me out of bigger troubles, all the way to my 30s.

Kinda mind blowing fact about household safety education in the US: if you go to the US Consumer Product Safety Commision web site for the list of safety guides http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Safety-Education/Safety-Guides/General-Information/Publications-Listing/ (where I would except to find a rather exhaustive list of safety guide), you have a truck load of guides about poisons, pools, microwave ovens, riding lawnmowers, even movable soccer goals but stricly nothing on weapons. Nothing that says: store weapons out of sight and reach of children, store ammunitions separately and out of sight and reach, have child proof gun locks, ya da, ya da.

I mean: the bug sprays bottles, the liquid laundry packets must be safely stored in a safe cabinet, a shotgun, nah, just put it loaded and ready in an unsecure closet, how FUBAR is that?

Side remark and shameless products placements: the safety guides of the CPSC are rather well done. Plenty of things to learn from them. And luckily, there are plenty of other web resources for kids safety around http://www.safekids.org/ (which has a chapter regarding guns storage by the way)

Edited by DefyTheOutcome

Two posters already brag about their exemplary conscience levels at the age of 10-11. I find that hard to believe. Looking back, I can honestly say that luck and not the good education I was provided with nor good conscience have kept me out of bigger troubles, all the way to my 30s.

I find it quite shocking to hear that you think this is "bragging".  In civilised countries, kids are automatically taught right from wrong as a matter of course, by parents, schools, and society as a whole. Sure we have blips, there will always be criminals and such, but for you to think we're actually bragging is really quite shocking, and telling of the state of American society.  How on earth can you call yourselves a civilised society if you can't even teach kids basic right from wrong skills? They should know this crap before they even start school.

No, I refuse to belief such ridiculousness. It's clearly just you. The vast majority of Americans are clearly well aware of right from wrong and consequences of actions by that age.

• Like 2

I find it quite shocking to hear that you think this is "bragging".  In civilised countries, kids are automatically taught right from wrong as a matter of course, by parents, schools, and society as a whole. Sure we have blips, there will always be criminals and such, but for you to think we're actually bragging is really quite shocking, and telling of the state of American society.  How on earth can you call yourselves a civilised society if you can't even teach kids basic right from wrong skills? They should know this crap before they even start school.

No, I refuse to belief such ridiculousness. It's clearly just you. The vast majority of Americans are clearly well aware of right from wrong and consequences of actions by that age.

You're telling me you were completely prepared for adulthood since your teens, literally. I find that a bit hypocritical, to say the least. And bragging. 

It has nothing to do with being able to distinct right from wrong. Some serial criminals are clearly aware of what's right and what's wrong, but they still act, despite showing genuine remorse after. Going down the "evil" scale, you will find generally good people still act, despite showing genuine remorse after.

You're telling me you were completely prepared for adulthood since your teens, literally. I find that a bit hypocritical, to say the least. And bragging. 

No, I'm telling you that at age 11, I knew what was right, what was wrong, and what could happen if I did the wrong. This is -really- basic stuff, you know.

• Like 1

No, I'm telling you that at age 11, I knew what was right, what was wrong, and what could happen if I did the wrong. This is -really- basic stuff, you know.

I am certain you still did many wrong. You're still being a bit hypocritical and you're still bragging. I'm not sure if your point of view is anything less than ignorant.

• Like 2

I am certain you still did many wrong. You're still being a bit hypocritical and you're still bragging. I'm not sure if your point of view is anything less than ignorant.

I never said that. I said I knew the difference and what could happen if I did the wrong thing.  I accepted those consequences and still did them, so I was fully to blame.

Not that I did anything really bad. A Mars bar or two nicked from a sweetshop, got caught, got my butt whupped by my dad. My fault completely.

I never said that. I said I knew the difference and what could happen if I did the wrong thing.  I accepted those consequences and still did them, so I was fully to blame.

Not that I did anything really bad. A Mars bar or two nicked from a sweetshop, got caught, got my butt whupped by my dad. My fault completely.

I'm sure we could add reckless driving to that. It's very easy to end up killing somebody behind the wheel. Some drunken fights perhaps. Again, one slap, one punch, a little stabbing perhaps. As far as my personal experience goes, by luck alone any of these events did not end up in mourning.

Having guns around them, kids are bound to provoke a tragedy. Those that don't, those are the lucky ones. Those that do, we can count them as victims as well.

I agree with the FloatingFatMan on this one!

I knew better at 11, heck even at 10 what was right and wrong.

Knowing right from wrong is not the same thing as fully realizing the consequences of actions, something clearly missed by some arrogant people in this thread.

• Like 2

Charming and mature as always.

Then don't ask questions when the answer was a few posts above yours. All you're doing is demonstrating that your not bothering to read people's posts.

An 11 year old is plenty old enough to know right from wrong. They the their owns lives away.

That may be so but they don't have impulse control at that age. Never heard of hormones? Could have been an abusive home (I would bet on it)... It amazes me we are so quick to throw kids away in our society.

I'm sure we could add reckless driving to that. It's very easy to end up killing somebody behind the wheel. Some drunken fights perhaps. Again, one slap, one punch, a little stabbing perhaps. As far as my personal experience goes, by luck alone any of these events did not end up in mourning.

Having guns around them, kids are bound to provoke a tragedy. Those that don't, those are the lucky ones. Those that do, we can count them as victims as well.

None of which is relevant to a person knowing right from wrong, and possible consequences, at age 11.  

Then don't ask questions when the answer was a few posts above yours. All you're doing is demonstrating that your not bothering to read people's posts.

Its called missing details, which is why I asked.

It happens to all of us and it obviously needed a childish remark as an answer.

Its called missing details, which is why I asked.

It happens to all of us and it obviously needed a childish remark as an answer.

It's called not reading properly.

It's called not reading properly.

Its called a mistake.

Must be nice being as perfect as you, eh? Any more childish remarks you wanna make?

None of which is relevant to a person knowing right from wrong, and possible consequences, at age 11.  

Yes it does... A kid being abused and not loved will have a warped sense of right and wrong then a kid in a normal environment. He was 11 years old! It's called freaking common sense!

• Like 3

Yes it does... A kid being abused and not loved will have a warped sense of right and wrong then a kid in a normal environment. He was 11 years old! It's called freaking common sense!

I dont like agreeing with you.

Stop it!

• Like 2

I'm almost certain you're making my points for me now. The missing luck here is the gun not being locked while also having live ammunition ready. An accident that prematurely took a girl away from its family, that changed the boy's life forever for the worse. Without that, a "boy slaps girl" or "boy beats up girl" kind of news (or not) would be replacing this tragic event.

Edited by Ulyses

This is NOT an accident. Crazy for calling it such.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. The gun left unlocked is an accident, presumably. And ease up on the strong words, I don't care much for this type of interaction.

This is NOT an accident. Crazy for calling it such.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accident

An accident is an incidental and unplanned event that could have been prevented had circumstancesleading up to the accident been recognized, and acted upon, prior to its occurrence.

Unless you can say for certain this child knew he wanted the girl to die, you cannot rule it out. Children tend to emulate things they've seen without fully understanding. I'm also certain the parents didn't intend to leave the gun available to the child, which would be an accident (and negligence).

• Like 3

Not saying in this case, but some kids mature faster than others.  I have seen kids be very mature at age 11 and some not so much.

Anyway, the dad/parents should be brought up on charges as well.  Gun should have been secured.  Irresponsible gun owner and should not be allowed to own firearms.