PHP vs ASP

Which is better.. PHP or ASP?  

262 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better.. PHP or ASP?

• PHP
    • ASP

Question

Welcome to the Definite Thread for PHP vs ASP!

After a long debate and me reffering to ASP as being homosexual while PHP is straight as an arrow with my good friend, Cody, we've decided to take it to Neowin so let's know what you think.. is PHP or ASP better? Vote and explain if possible please!

You can always use the MSXML component under asp to gain files over http and https....

I voted NULL... cos neither of them are better... they both do the job adequately but not superbly.

anyone tried the go-mono asp.net version?

the nice thing is that it runs on linux/unix.

It's definently not 100% complete, but how is it so far?

google is switching to php 5 from a custom c-engine isn't it?

Tried the mono ASP.Net implementation. Couldn't get it to work in a shared server environment, but it works fine if you're the only one on the server ;)

No way google would switch to PHP5! They have their own custom file system, clustering software, and linux kernel. I think not.

those who havent tried asp.net will probably go with PHP. PHP is better only if you compare it to old ASP (3.0). But it is nothing if you compare it to ASP.NET. Yeah yeah, hosting is more expensive, but if you're to make a living out of it, it'd be companies that would pay the hosting so you get to use the power of ASP.NET and you've got to pay nothing. There's Webmatrix software, that's free. Its a GREAT IDE, maybe not as complete as VSTUDIO.NET but you can totally develop a good website with it.

PHP is just a scripting language. ASP.NET is a complete platform. there's no way php could be better.

Edit: I forgot to mention. we've got everything you have, plus more. there's dot net nuke, there are pre-made image galleries, there's blog programs, there's everything. Plus, we get cool server controls (components) like ASP.NET Menu. check it out.......thats something you wont eeever have. (www.aspnetmenu.com)

Another edit: did you check out the latest sql injection vulnerability in PHP Nuke 7.0? thats sick!!

I haven't seen many php forums written by individuals wonder why that is :whistle:

As for asp forums there are plenty of you care to take a look:

<< Snip >>

I could go on they are just a few

IPB is written soley by Matt Mecham of IPS. I believe YaBB started off with one person, same with phpBB (could be wrong on that, though).

However, what's the point of having your software written by an individual rather than a team? Doesn't prove anything. Just tends to suggest that the team-written forums would be of higher quality. :p

IPB is written soley by Matt Mecham of IPS. I believe YaBB started off with one person, same with phpBB (could be wrong on that, though).

However, what's the point of having your software written by an individual rather than a team? Doesn't prove anything. Just tends to suggest that the team-written forums would be of higher quality. :p

A forum written by an individual will have the same style of code everywhere. If this code is of great quality (like with IPB) then you'll have a very clean coded forum software which is easy to mod etc. If a forum is written by a team there will be different coding styles all over, so you'll have to adjust all the time when writing a mod or a hack.

Back on topic though, it's all PHP for me, open source all the way :yes:

I love PHP :wub: does it all for me :whistle:

I've used both ASP.net and PHP, and I without a doubt prefer PHP. I much prefer a native Linux based open-source scripting language to a propritary closed-source Windows based solution. The code I write runs on any platform that you can compile apache/php on, can you say the same about ASP?

I've used both ASP.net and PHP, and I without a doubt prefer PHP. I much prefer a native Linux based open-source scripting language to a propritary closed-source Windows based solution. The code I write runs on any platform that you can compile apache/php on, can you say the same about ASP?

just cause a product is open-source doesnt mean it has to be better than a closed-source one. I mean its like saying "My car is better cause it's cheaper", which is not a bright thing to say. dont mean to be rude but hey, i feel .net is more of a complete package and is a more robust solution for web development than just a scripting language.

Plus, there's the ASP.NET Mono implementation for linux....and thats for .net. With plain old ASP you had asp chillisoft....so you could run both asp and asp.net in linux.

now, what?

Yes, I can. I can take a web app written in ASP.NET and put it on any computer that will run ASP.NET. The only thing I have to look out for is a different .NET runtime (which there are two, currently 1.0 and 1.1). So your point is...?

I didn't take time to read the whole topic, but here it goes for me, who never tried ASP nor ASP.net though :

PHP:

- Is 100% free and 100% legal (SOme free things are illegal, ya know ;))

- Can be installed on linux and apache, both of these are free. So total cost of a PHP Server : The price of the server, actually. Nothing more. The OS is free, Apache is free, and PHP is free.

- Works on everything, every server (you just have to configure it correctly)

- Can be installed on every OS I believe. I installed a personal server on WinXP Home and it works perfectly.

- Is flexible (If you think about doing something realistic, you can!)

- Is easy to program. (You can somwhat remember the functions you are using)

- Can be debugged easily (Warning : Error on line 3 [...])- Its support on the official website is incredibly good (Every function is well-explained, you can search for one, etc.)

- Is supported by the best program around for websites : Dreamweaver MX and MX 2004 (Both support it equally, it's just that MX 2004 included the newest functions, etc)

- Its support everywhere else is really good too.

- Can use MySQL, or any kind of database ( ? )

Yes, I can. I can take a web app written in ASP.NET and put it on any computer that will run ASP.NET. The only thing I have to look out for is a different .NET runtime (which there are two, currently 1.0 and 1.1). So your point is...?

My point is that the .NET runtime only runs on Windows, PHP runs on anything you feel like porting it to.

My point is that the .NET runtime only runs on Windows, PHP runs on anything you feel like porting it to.

for you to enrich your knowledge:

http://www.go-mono.com/

the Mono project, its goal is to implement asp.net in linux.

so asp.net would be free, linux would be free.....AND we got free IDEs. Great IDEs actually. Plus there's the support you get at asp.net forums, managed by Microsoft's ASP.NET team.

half complete, but there are so few people working on it. if more people were to contribute, then it may be further along, but then it may NOT be too... how many years has it taken MS to get the framework to where it is now?

but it's the best out there right now, and even with all of the GREAT PHP improvements it still won't perform or compete with or like .net.

for you to enrich your knowledge:

http://www.go-mono.com/

the Mono project, its goal is to implement asp.net in linux.

so asp.net would be free, linux would be free.....AND we got free IDEs. Great IDEs actually. Plus there's the support you get at asp.net forums, managed by Microsoft's ASP.NET team.

That's great and all, and I really like how Microsoft is showing all the support they can with this.

And I can't wait until Microsoft goes out of its way to break compatibility with it.

Free or not, Mono is not ASP.NET. Mono is Mono.

Yes, I can.  I can take a web app written in ASP.NET and put it on any computer that will run ASP.NET.  The only thing I have to look out for is a different .NET runtime (which there are two, currently  1.0 and 1.1).  So your point is...?

And, only IIS Windows systems (I've seen Windows/Apache a few times) run ASP.net. That Mono thing doesn't seem to run on Windows.

Yes, but you originally stated:

"The code I write runs on any platform that you can compile apache/php on, can you say the same about ASP?"

The same can be said about ASP. It runs on the platform it can be compiled on :cool:

A forum written by an individual will have the same style of code everywhere. If this code is of great quality (like with IPB) then you'll have a very clean coded forum software which is easy to mod etc. If a forum is written by a team there will be different coding styles all over, so you'll have to adjust all the time when writing a mod or a hack.

Spoken like a true non-professional programmer :p

Seriously, in a proper team development environment, there are coding standards, design outlines, and code refactoring that prevent exactly what you describe. Simply put: a well formed team with a proper design technique and code circles around a single programmer and can produce higher quality code as a result.

Spoken like a true non-professional programmer :p

:yes: couldn't agree with you anymore...

"in most cases, a piece of software written by only one programmer is considered garbage"... a quote from my one of my profs, which he repeated all the time, emphasizing on teamwork.