• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

How seriously is Microsoft treating Windows 10 Mobile?

Recommended Posts

Mockingbird    2,987
1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

The only devices it has been announced for, the 950 and 950xl. 

No. The Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL shipped with Windows 10 Mobile.

 

Microsoft hasn't rolled out Windows 10 Mobile to any devices yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,864
5 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

No. The Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL shipped with Windows 10 Mobile.

 

Microsoft hasn't rolled out Windows 10 Mobile to any devices yet.

They shipped with pre-release windows mobile. 10586 is considered rtm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mockingbird    2,987
4 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

They shipped with pre-release windows mobile. 

The initial shipment of the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL was so buggy that it has to be returned to Microsoft even before being released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,864
4 minutes ago, illegaloperation said:

The initial shipment of the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL was so buggy that it has to be returned to Microsoft even before being released.

Like I said, it was pre-release. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tompkin    153

It's dead in the water. IMHO. Too much to overcome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrack    481
1 hour ago, Dot Matrix said:

Easier said than done. There's trade laws, etc, etc. that need followed.

There is a law that can prevent them from releasing a full featured Bing or Cortana against different country? Sure not every country has NSA (/s).

 

What about announcing a hardware and then releasing it not within a good time frame? I know so many of my client's who WANTED to give Surface a go but Microsoft's lack of releasing them in time in the territory encouraged to them to go get iPads and then they went ahead with their LOB Apps working on it.

 

Microsoft has good ideas and innovations, they 100% lack the hardware distribution and support channel. I wish for a day when they can announce something like Apple & Samsung and then have it available immediately in most countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jared-    583

Yeah, because when Apple announces a product it's available that day....

 

MS will get there, I have faith. Their hosted products (Office 365, Exchange, Sharepoint, OneDrive) crap over any other competing products. iCloud is a toy compared to Office 365. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,864
1 minute ago, Jared- said:

Yeah, because when Apple announces a product it's available that day....

 

MS will get there, I have faith. Their hosted products (Office 365, Exchange, Sharepoint, OneDrive) crap over any other competing products. iCloud is a toy compared to Office 365. 

Some Apple products are available that day but not all of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jared-    583

Yep, same with Microsoft... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wrack    481

Yes but when they (Apple, Samsung) said it will be available in the following countries a, b, c, d, e ... on dd/mm/yyyy; they are generally on the mark.

 

If MS wants to make themselves as premium as others then they have to start acting on those fronts too.

Edited by wrack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
francescob    560

They had to anticipate the Win10 launch to have it ready for the back to school/holiday season. There's no such rush for bringing WP10 to older devices but the more they wait the more IT enthusiasts will move to other platforms since delays and staged releases are pretty irritating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
simplezz    863

I thought it was a given that Microsoft was going to fork Android a la Amazon. They've released a launcher, store, most of their app catalog, and Cortana. That's all the ingredients of a fork except perhaps mapping and a GMS compatibility layer.

 

No doubt that's the reason Android support on WP was abandoned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438
5 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

No. The Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL shipped with Windows 10 Mobile.

 

Microsoft hasn't rolled out Windows 10 Mobile to any devices yet.

Insiders have the "RTM" build already installed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438
5 hours ago, tompkin said:

It's dead in the water. IMHO. Too much to overcome.

Really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dot Matrix    7,438
5 hours ago, illegaloperation said:

The initial shipment of the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL was so buggy that it has to be returned to Microsoft even before being released.

What? The initial shipments came through just fine. Display units aren't part of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Active.    1,700
8 hours ago, sbasil said:

II rather use devices that are great right now than ones that might be OK in the year 2030.  

Seems sensible. I'm always surprised when I see people again and again buying into MS's promises for the future. Why not evaluate the products on their current merits? You're after all using them in the present.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    13,864
5 hours ago, simplezz said:

I thought it was a given that Microsoft was going to fork Android a la Amazon. They've released a launcher, store, most of their app catalog, and Cortana. That's all the ingredients of a fork except perhaps mapping and a GMS compatibility layer.

 

No doubt that's the reason Android support on WP was abandoned.

No that was your assumption. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tompkin    153
9 hours ago, Dot Matrix said:

WP has 1.7 % market share? Windows Mobile has 8.8% of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,958
18 hours ago, sbasil said:

I'm sure they do. I just don't want to be a victim of their long-term game any longer.  I rather use devices that are great right now than ones that might be OK in the year 2030.  But I do hope that MS will pull it off in the end.

Meanwhile, Apple will reap all the money no matter where we are in the future of smartphones. Apple (and Android) have established themselves with consumers. Microsoft has not even made a dent (if anything it has been all negative press). I want to root for MS, but WM10 needs a lot of work. I'm running it on my Lumia 640, and it runs like absolute crap (fresh install w/ no apps). I am talking seriously bad performance, like dating back to Android 2.x days. Then there's the app. situation. For me, this platform is still in alpha/beta stages. I'll just enjoy Apple/Android products with Office apps. Bottom line is there's just zero incentive to get on board with WM10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BajiRav    2,137
19 hours ago, sbasil said:

There's a big difference having a plan and actually executing it successfully. So far I'd call their plan "dreaming." Their current "plan" is still missing out the most important element: customers! It's difficult to sell something if and when their competitors do it better, even cheaper. So far I see no reason to stay with Windows platform after my 1520 dies. I like it, but there are better non-Windows phones on the market. Another reason is Netflix. WP and Chromecast are a-big-no-no. I already got crashed and burned with one Windows mobile device (RT/2520..the whole platform was pretty much DOA), so I'm not gonna take another hit with WP. :-D

Why does WP have to support Google's proprietary technology in Chromecast? Use a Roku or any Miracast receiver instead.

9 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Meanwhile, Apple will reap all the money no matter where we are in the future of smartphones. Apple (and Android) have established themselves with consumers. Microsoft has not even made a dent (if anything it has been all negative press). I want to root for MS, but WM10 needs a lot of work. I'm running it on my Lumia 640, and it runs like absolute crap (fresh install w/ no apps). I am talking seriously bad performance, like dating back to Android 2.x days. Then there's the app. situation. For me, this platform is still in alpha/beta stages. I'll just enjoy Apple/Android products with Office apps. Bottom line is there's just zero incentive to get on board with WM10.

W10M runs pretty good on my 640 considering it hasn't received firmware upgrade for supporting W10M (have lots of background apps and battery life is ~18-24hrs on moderate use).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,337

They only have one OS and it is Windows 10. Mobile is just an edition. Are they serious about their only OS?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,958
4 minutes ago, BajiRav said:

W10M runs pretty good on my 640 considering it hasn't received firmware upgrade for supporting W10M (have lots of background apps and battery life is ~18-24hrs on moderate use).

Battery life hasn't been a problem on WM10/WP. I'm talking about the overall UI experience. If I open an app (ie. Edge), and return to the home screen, it shouldn't resume the home screen. Considering that low end hardware is a big piece of WP/WM market share, they need to work on this. Even the Moto E/G isn't this slow/bad on Android. I get WM10 is in "pre-release", but if this is any sign of the actual final build, then oh boy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riva    1,337
5 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Battery life hasn't been a problem on WM10/WP. I'm talking about the overall UI experience. If I open an app (ie. Edge), and return to the home screen, it shouldn't resume the home screen. Considering that low end hardware is a big piece of WP/WM market share, they need to work on this. Even the Moto E/G isn't this slow/bad on Android. I get WM10 is in "pre-release", but if this is any sign of the actual final build, then oh boy...

That seems to be an issue when you upgrade. Have you tried a hard reset? I have a Lumia 930, 640 and a 950XL and it runs smooth everywhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BajiRav    2,137
1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

Battery life hasn't been a problem on WM10/WP. I'm talking about the overall UI experience. If I open an app (ie. Edge), and return to the home screen, it shouldn't resume the home screen. Considering that low end hardware is a big piece of WP/WM market share, they need to work on this. Even the Moto E/G isn't this slow/bad on Android. I get WM10 is in "pre-release", but if this is any sign of the actual final build, then oh boy...

That a big problem prior to 10586 for me but 10586 has been really good. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tsupersonic    1,958
1 hour ago, Riva said:

That seems to be an issue when you upgrade. Have you tried a hard reset? I have a Lumia 930, 640 and a 950XL and it runs smooth everywhere.

Yes, I followed Wpcentral's recommendation, and it didn't help.

16 minutes ago, BajiRav said:

That a big problem prior to 10586 for me but 10586 has been really good. :)

I've been using this for a couple days, and it's more or less the same. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.