The time it takes to check for updates on clean installs of Vista and 7 is now simply Horrific.

Bought my wife a PC and had this problem also. Kept stopping it and trying to figure out what was wrong. I finally just rebooted an walked away for 3 hours and all the updates showed up.

There's a bug that was discovered on Vista and 7 long after they were out in the market. Don't remember the KB fix for it, but after you install that one, the WU processes should go much faster.

Hmm.. That's strange, it takes me about an hour to download all the new patches, and another hour just to install them. Then again, my PC is ancient (Intel Core 2 Quad 2.66Ghz (OC'd to 2.83Ghz)).

I think I'll keep a 128GB USB with all the patches for Seven, and Ten (If available) on a Thumbdrive or add them to my seedbox.

On 22 December 2015 at 9:26 PM, DConnell said:

I wonder how long `til the conspiracy theorists claim this is to force people to Windows 10?

What, like the way Apple cripple older phones with their last "updates"? Possibly. I've found that a full router reboot helps before doing it sometimes, but I always use WSUS.

12 hours ago, Tidosho said:

What, like the way Apple cripple older phones with their last "updates"? Possibly. I've found that a full router reboot helps before doing it sometimes, but I always use WSUS.

I found above statement to be true. After upgrading to the latest, my iPhone 4S went super sluggish, apps ran 100x slower.

Install .NET Framework 4.6
Install IE11
Install KB947821 (Quite a big update)
KB3083324
KB3102810
KB3112343

The initial check for updates after installing the above should be around 5-10 minutes depending on hardware. I have tested this on different configurations both physical & virtual.

On 22/12/2015 at 10:13 PM, warwagon said:

Not sure if anyone has done it for a while, but the time it takes a clean install of Windows Vista SP2 or 7 Sp1 to check for updates is simply horrific. We are talking at least 2 hours. I started checking on this Vista install (7 is no better) at 12:29pm and  it's still checking for updates at 3:12pm. For some reason I think Windows 7 is even longer.

I think it's time they do for Vista and 7 what they did for XP when it had the dreaded SVCHOST 100% bug where checking for updates went from 1 min to an hour.

Edit : Just as I hit submit on this thread Vista finally Finished Checking for updates. So it took vista 2 hours and 14 mins

I agree with you. I installed Win 7 Ultimate and Home Pro editions many times on multiple devices in all kind of hardware. I also noticed that the Windows Updates takes ages. That is why I started using the WSUS Offline updater from Heise.

http://www.heise.de/download/wsus-offline-update-ct.html

I still find it a pain though...

On 22/12/2015 at 10:13 PM, warwagon said:

Not sure if anyone has done it for a while, but the time it takes a clean install of Windows Vista SP2 or 7 Sp1 to check for updates is simply horrific. We are talking at least 2 hours. I started checking on this Vista install (7 is no better) at 12:29pm and  it's still checking for updates at 3:12pm. For some reason I think Windows 7 is even longer.

I think it's time they do for Vista and 7 what they did for XP when it had the dreaded SVCHOST 100% bug where checking for updates went from 1 min to an hour.

Edit : Just as I hit submit on this thread Vista finally Finished Checking for updates. So it took vista 2 hours and 14 mins

I agree with you. I installed Win 7 Ultimate and Home Pro editions many times on multiple devices in all kind of hardware. I also noticed that the Windows Updates takes ages. That is why I started using the WSUS Offline updater from Heise.

http://www.heise.de/download/wsus-offline-update-ct.html

I still find it a pain though...

On 12/22/2015 at 4:26 PM, DConnell said:

I wonder how long `til the conspiracy theorists claim this is to force people to Windows 10?

I doubt that is the case, but I also doubt they're doing much to investigate/correct the problem, either. You can't tell me they're not aware of this.

2 minutes ago, AR556 said:

I doubt that is the case, but I also doubt they're doing much to investigate/correct the problem, either. You can't tell me they're not aware of this.

I posted a hot fix earlier in this thread. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, d5aqoëp said:

there is a dude on mdl forums who goes by username murphy78. I have used his integrated W7,8 and 10 ISOs. They work very well.

I use his ISOs, also :)

2 hours ago, d5aqoëp said:

there is a dude on mdl forums who goes by username murphy78. I have used his integrated W7,8 and 10 ISOs. They work very well.

54 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

I use his ISOs, also :)

He has retired however.

2 hours ago, Ian W said:

Too bad there apparently isn't one for Windows Vista.

I haven't used Vista in quite a while now. I usually found that by installing the following (Assuming SP2 already installed), in the following order:

.NET Framework 3.5 Latest Redist
.NET Framework 4.6
Platform Update Supplement
IE9

Usually did the trick to bring the checking for updates phase right down. Though it always seemed to take longer than Windows 7.

On 12/22/2015 at 4:13 PM, warwagon said:

I just performed a clean install of Windows 7 and I was unable to check for updates until I manually installed 3 different updates from Microsoft's website for the update manager. Afterwards, and several restarts later, I finally got the update list. 

I believe Microsoft is intentionally dragging the updates to "encourage" people to update to W10, aka their latest POS.

18 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

I just performed a clean install of Windows 7 and I was unable to check for updates until I manually installed 3 different updates from Microsoft's website for the update manager. Afterwards, and several restarts later, I finally got the update list. 

I believe Microsoft is intentionally dragging the updates to "encourage" people to update to W10, aka their latest POS.

Except they aren't. There is a hot fix in this thread and it is all that is needed. 

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Except they aren't. There is a hot fix in this thread and it is all that is needed. 

What is the original problem? I've never had a problem with Windows Updates on a clean install of Windows 7 until recently. 

I hate to add a "conspiracy theory" to a hotfix thread, however I did state what I did to fix the problem (unfortunately I didn't write the KB numbers down so it's not as helpful as Vince800's post).

11 minutes ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

What is the original problem? I've never had a problem with Windows Updates on a clean install of Windows 7 until recently. 

I hate to add a "conspiracy theory" to a hotfix thread, however I did state what I did to fix the problem (unfortunately I didn't write the KB numbers down so it's not as helpful as Vince800's post).

The original problem is that the Windows update software of today is having trouble updating on software from years ago. Fact is, there is a fix out there. You just cannot get it from Windows update for obvious reasons. 

9 hours ago, Vince800 said:

I haven't used Vista in quite a while now. I usually found that by installing the following (Assuming SP2 already installed), in the following order:

.NET Framework 3.5 Latest Redist
.NET Framework 4.6
Platform Update Supplement
IE9

Usually did the trick to bring the checking for updates phase right down. Though it always seemed to take longer than Windows 7.

I will try this the next time I do a clean install and I will see what happens. Thank you.

The most annoying thing isn't even just the clicking "Install" and waiting, it's the part where you install a bunch of updates, restart, install more updates, restart, install updates for the updates, restart, etc.  You have to do it like 4+ to get everything.

On December 23, 2015 at 10:47 PM, adrynalyne said:

I believe this was it, although the issues it addresses are for slightly different scenarios. I put Windows 7 back on my wife's laptop recently and was stuck scanning for updates. Installing this fixed it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

Thanks for this. I also had this problem when moving a friend back to Windows 7 from Windows 10 on a clean install.

6 hours ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

I am against the idea that the issues are intentional as they also affect Windows Vista, an operating system that is not eligible for Microsoft's free upgrade offer for WIndows 10. Playing devil's advocate, there are, of course, other ways for users to upgrade to Windows 10—users could always purchase a new machine—but it would be a wasted effort to intentionally affect an operating system with such a small share of the market.

The fact that Windows Vista is not even eligible for a free upgrade suggests that the company is not targeting that operating system.