Flat Earth is flying upwards.

From my understanding, throwing away all facts dealing with measurements. A star could be a certain amount of light years away. If the said star lives for a shorter time period than the time for its light to arrive to our planet, than the said star, in reality, does not exist. What does exist? Flat Earth Theory claims that our known planet does not move. Throwing away all knowledge of gravity, the other most likely solution to the fact that all matter falls and remains grounded, is centifigul force. The Earth may be just more than flat, it may be inverted. We do not see the upward curve because time and light bend and take time to arrive to our senses and instruments. Time without a doubt is equal to distance. Our eyes are lenses, and like looking at the back of a spoon, everything we see is actually inside out and flipped and readjusted in our brain to appear straight. It's an optical illusion. If the Earth is not moving though, than only only one other explination fits. Flat Earth is flying up into the empty aybyss above and everything appears to be flying down. I take full credit for this proposal.

10 minutes ago, AhntiKhrist said:

If the said star lives for a shorter time period than the time for its light to arrive to our planet, than the said star, in reality, does not exist.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AhntiKhrist said:

From my understanding, throwing away all facts dealing with measurements. A star could be a certain amount of light years away. If the said star lives for a shorter time period than the time for its light to arrive to our planet, than the said star, in reality, does not exist. What does exist? Flat Earth Theory claims that our known planet does not move. Throwing away all knowledge of gravity, the other most likely solution to the fact that all matter falls and remains grounded, is centifigul force. The Earth may be just more than flat, it may be inverted. We do not see the upward curve because time and light bend and take time to arrive to our senses and instruments. Time without a doubt is equal to distance. Our eyes are lenses, and like looking at the back of a spoon, everything we see is actually inside out and flipped and readjusted in our brain to appear straight. It's an optical illusion. If the Earth is not moving though, than only only one other explination fits. Flat Earth is flying up into the empty aybyss above and everything appears to be flying down. I take full credit for this proposal.

it's like you took all science books and just burnt them, because ... well I have no idea.

also there is no "centrifugal" force. not sure why I point that out, since there is none of the other flights of fantasy in that text either...  really an inverted planet, then why doesn't peopel fall of at the poles? how come ustralia doesn't have less gravity than say italy. where do our space rockets go... 

ugh, I think I dumbered myself. 

• Like 3

Its at times like this where I feel a moral obligation to help the stunted and attempt to set them on the correct path, the scientific path, and show them the errors of their ideas.

But many times it is an effort in futility, if they were capable of understanding the science behind things - they would never have adopted flat earth in this day and age.

The OP - I hope was joking.

But this is nothing more than what I mentioned in another thread about conspiracy theorists, herd mentality, and the exponential growth of fear-mongering and stupidity.  They feed off one another, then that pathetic subculture gets all of their tinfoil hats lined up in an array and project their ignorance enough that it obtains longevity even after it has been debunked by 3rd grade science and 9th grade math.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

Its at times like this where I feel a moral obligation to help the stunted and attempt to set them on the correct path, the scientific path, and show them the errors of their ideas.

But many times it is an effort in futility, if they were capable of understanding the science behind things - they would never have adopted flat earth in this day and age.

The OP - I hope was joking.

But this is nothing more than what I mentioned in another thread about conspiracy theorists, herd mentality, and the exponential growth of fear-mongering and stupidity.  They feed off one another, then that pathetic subculture gets all of their tinfoil hats lined up in an array and project their ignorance enough that it obtains longevity even after it has been debunked by 3rd grade science and 9th grade math.

It's akin to medieval thinking, I see therefore it is. I see there is no curve on the horizon so therefore the Earth MUST be flat. Fortunately science has disproved all these theories time and time again for the last 500 years.

17 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's akin to medieval thinking, I see therefore it is. I see there is no curve on the horizon so therefore the Earth MUST be flat. Fortunately science has disproved all these theories time and time again for the last 500 years.

unfortunately theres still (mostly religious) people who still insist on this 'flat earth': http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1684.htm

AhntiKhrist did you really create an account on Neowin to just post this nonsense? Neowin, please delete this thread and ban AhntiKhrist. Thanks...

• Like 3

Can someone explain why anyone thinks people would lie about the shape of the earth ... for thousands of years? I mean, there is no real money in it and no power or influence is gained by it.

Frankly, it is too much of a stupid question for me to even bother Google with. I wouldn't want it in my search history so if anyone just happens to know off hand they can post it ... if it doesn't give you too much of a headache to think about it.

3 minutes ago, compl3x said:

Can someone explain why anyone thinks people would lie about the shape of the earth ... for thousands of years? I mean, there is no real money in it and no power or influence is gained by it.

Frankly, it is too much of a stupid question for me to even bother Google with. I wouldn't want it in my search history so if anyone just happens to know off hand they can post it ... if it doesn't give you too much of a headache to think about it.

I have no idea ... hurts my head.

Here is a snippet from an article @ livescience 

Then, there's the conspiracy theory: Flat-earthers believe photos of the globe are photoshopped; GPS devices are rigged to make airplane pilotsthink they are flying in straight lines around a sphere when they are actually flying in circles above a disc. The motive for world governments' concealment of the true shape of the Earth has not been ascertained, but flat-earthers believe it is probably financial. "In a nutshell, it would logically cost much less to fake a space program than to actually have one, so those in on the Conspiracy profit from the funding NASA and other space agencies receive from the government," the flat-earther website's FAQ page explains.

...which is citing this from The Flat Earth Society Wiki...

The motive for 'The Conspiracy' is unknown (unlike the existence of 'The Conspiracy', no specific motive necessarily follows from the FET) and as such it is open to speculation. However, financial profit is the most commonly assumed motive.

'Profit'

Usually considered to be the most likely motive, this suggests that NASA is primarily an embezzlement front. The conspiracy spends millions of dollars in bribing astronauts, faking photographs, and other ways of faking space exploration, but NASA's budget is in the billions, so the conspirators still receive a large profit yearly.

'Not hiding anything at all'

It is also possible that NASA does not actually know that the earth is flat and since its inception has simply been faking the concept of space travel, never bothering (or unable) to go any farther than the edge of the atmosphere. The earth is portrayed as round in NASA media because the general public already believes that it is round.

NASA is mistaken about the earth's shape, just like many others are, and reflect that mistake when putting together its fake space missions.

'Military dominance'

The US Government and its European allies have a large interest in investing untold millions of dollars into hoaxing space travel because it gives a superior image to the rest of the world. Once a country has the technology to reach orbit it can also scare off aggressors and send ICBMs raining down on its enemies at the push of a button. Creating the illusion of space travel is critical to national security of a first-world nation, whether it is actually possible or not.

/shrug

I wonder how much Eratosthenes got (and from whom) when he calculated the circumference of the earth over 200 years B.C.E.

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

Actually there is plenty of evidence that suggests that many societies around the world already knew that the Earth was round since antiquity.

• Like 1

The "people used to think the earth was flat until relatively recently" thing needs to die. No society within the last 2000+ years with any interest in science has thought the Earth was flat. Not the Greeks, Indians, not the Muslims, not the Medieval Europeans, no one.

The irony is that making that statement in an attempt to look educated exposes how in the modern age many people know so little of the history of science.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, compl3x said:

The "people used to think the earth was flat until relatively recently" thing needs to die. No society within the last 2000+ years with any interest in science has thought the Earth was flat. Not the Greeks, Indians, not the Muslims, not the Medieval Europeans, no one.

The irony is that making that statement in an attempt to look educated exposes how in the modern age many people know so little of the history of science.

everyone knows the earth is shaped like a sausage, silly.:glare:

1 minute ago, compl3x said:

I wonder how much Eratosthenes got (and from whom) when he calculated the circumference of the earth over 200 years B.C.E.

Another thing that I'm not sure how "flat earth" folks can answer for are distances.  For example, the attached map is common reference for flat earth folks....

Santiago, Chile to Sydney is 14 hours and 38 minutes (using travelmath.com )

Santiago, Chile to Paris is 15 hours

hmm...somehow this map doesn't work.  Wonder why?

Map.jpg

2 minutes ago, compl3x said:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Pablo Picasso would be proud 

Earths still sausages shaped though :shifty:

just to make sure of that it's now FacT! :D

15 hours ago, WinMacLin Guy said:

Actually there is plenty of evidence that suggests that many societies around the world already knew that the Earth was round since antiquity.

I'm talking about modern science when it was proved beyond reasonable doubt.

Honestly it makes little importance what some communities think. Our perception of the universe might not be what the universe is about, and there are an infinite amount of things we still do not know.

However, using modern sciences we have created a model/approximation of our planet (and universe to some amount). And that model is doing a damn good job at predicting some of its behavior. So lets stick with that for a while :)

On 2/3/2016 at 4:19 AM, AhntiKhrist said:

OuNlzBz.gif

• Like 2