Should I go back to Windows 7 at work?

We have a small business and the money to upgrade to Windows 10 isn't going to be there for the foreseeable future. We all hate Windows 8 with a raging passion and I was wondering if there are any negatives to reverting back to Windows 7.

I still have my license keys but lost my installation media. Is there still an official way to re-download Windows 7 media from MS for installing from USB? I see that some torrent sites have ISO's with all the updates rolled into them. As long as my license is legit and the ISO is clean should that be an OK way to go?

My only advice is that eventually Win 7 support will end (for all I know it already has) and you will eventually need to upgrade your user base to whatever OS is there.  Is it not best to stick out with win 8 and try to make it work for you then to go back to something you felt work for you but is no doubt further away from what you'll eventually be on?

I've always found a few people here at work who say they hate Win 8 etc all just have issues because they have to work in slightly different ways to how they did in Win 7. That's not a bad thing as long as you can make it work in the end which I've always found is possible.

I can't answer if you should go back to Windows 7, but given a choice between 7 and 8 I would go to 7. I think the only negative would be if someone in the business had come to rely on a particular app and there wasn't an equivalent program. Either way, because you're a business you would have to pay for Windows 10, now or in the future.

Regarding the installation, you can download the ISO from Microsoft. I would recommend going down that route rather than the dodgy torrent route.

3 minutes ago, Skiver said:

My only advice is that eventually Win 7 support will end (for all I know it already has) and you will eventually need to upgrade your user base to whatever OS is there.  Is it not best to stick out with win 8 and try to make it work for you then to go back to something you felt work for you but is no doubt further away from what you'll eventually be on?

I've always found a few people here at work who say they hate Win 8 etc all just have issues because they have to work in slightly different ways to how they did in Win 7. That's not a bad thing as long as you can make it work in the end which I've always found is possible.

Yeah I'm not sure how big a deal the support thing is. I haven't needed Windows support from Microsoft ever in my 25 years of using it. If by support you mean security upgrades, I'm not sure how really important that is for a small company that is not going to be attacked. If I have all the latest updates on 7 and a decent AV solution running security shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think. We mostly use proprietary software for embroidery digitizing which is really low on requirements anyways. We also use Photoshop and Illustrator CC. My partner and I both like the Win 7 UI way better and he goes pretty bonkers every time he has to reboot and sees the start screen.

You can download the Windows 7 ISOs from Microsoft, though ensure you download the correct version...that will depend on your licence type...whether it is OEM or VL/KMS.

As for bootable USB, Microsoft actually have their own official tool for that: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool. Simply browse for the ISO, select your USB device and it will do the rest for you.

How many machines? Re-installing the OS will take time, and then to reconfigure the machines for use, along with installing all the needed software. At this point, I would stick with Windows 8.1 it's just not worth the trouble of reverting, and then upgrading again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

How many machines? Re-installing the OS will take time, and then to reconfigure the machines for use, along with installing all the needed software. At this point, I would stick with Windows 8.1 it's just not worth the trouble of reverting, and then upgrading again.

Depends I guess, could always setup one, image it, and then install that image onto each. 

3 minutes ago, firey said:

Depends I guess, could always setup one, image it, and then install that image onto each. 

Must remember to Sysprep before taking the image though.

I'm not really overly worried about install time. I've reinstalled Windows countless times over the years and have it down to a science. I could probably have a system fully up and running again with Win 7 in an hour. We are very small, Windows Server 2008 as a DC and 3 workstations.

We all hate Windows 8 with a raging passion and I was wondering if there are any negatives to reverting back to Windows 7.

What problems are you having? Perhaps things aren't configured properly.

I still have my license keys but lost my installation media. Is there still an official way to re-download Windows 7 media from MS for installing from USB?

You've not told us which SKU's you have there but https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

That'll more than likely only work for retail copies though you could try it (It asks for keys first).

I see that some torrent sites have ISO's with all the updates rolled into them

Don't do this, you have no way of knowing how clean these are.

Yeah I'm not sure how big a deal the support thing is. I haven't needed Windows support from Microsoft ever in my 25 years of using it. If by support you mean security upgrades, I'm not sure how really important that is for a small company that is not going to be attacked. If I have all the latest updates on 7 and a decent AV solution running security shouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think. We mostly use proprietary software for embroidery digitizing which is really low on requirements anyways. We also use Photoshop and Illustrator CC. My partner and I both like the Win 7 UI way better and he goes pretty bonkers every time he has to reboot and sees the start screen.

Yes updates which are important, from your description you should be valuing this. Again you could customise Windows to stop the start screen from showing on logon.

Must remember to Sysprep before taking the image though.

Not without a volume license.

no reason why not tbh as long as all hardware has W7 drivers, Windows 7 professional has extended support until 14th January 2020.

Yes extended support, security updates only.

2 minutes ago, Vince800 said:

Not without a volume license.

Oh, OK. In a previous school I worked in, we imaged VL Windows 7 where Sysprep was not performed. We ran into all sorts of issues regarding clashing SIDs, etc. How does it work for non-VL keys? Won't they also have issues with SIDs that are clashing?

The real main issue we are having is the super in-intuitiveness of Windows 8 and the start screen. We can't even get Windows 8.1 at this point so we are kind of wishing we were back on Windows 7 with the much better start menu and just generally better UI.

To answer the SKU question, I have a few Technet Keys that covered all the workstations.

4 minutes ago, patseguin said:

The real main issue we are having is the super in-intuitiveness of Windows 8 and the start screen. We can't even get Windows 8.1 at this point so we are kind of wishing we were back on Windows 7 with the much better start menu and just generally better UI.

To answer the SKU question, I have a few Technet Keys that covered all the workstations.

Why can't you get 8.1? The Start Screen on Windows 8 is really no different than the WIndows 7 menu, it just makes better use of screen real estate. Pinning a tile to it shouldn't be that hard to where the user can quickly access it. Windows 8.1 will make things a little better. 

3 minutes ago, patseguin said:

Start8 or something similar may help you for the start menu, and would save re-imaging a whole load of machines.

1 minute ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why can't you get 8.1?

If he's only licensed for Windows 8, he'd have to pay for a new licence to cover Windows 8.1. 

2 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Why can't you get 8.1?

From my research, for business you have to PURCHASE Windows 8.1. It's not a free update. Am I wrong?

1 minute ago, Daedroth said:

If he's only licensed for Windows 8, he'd have to pay for a new licence to cover Windows 8.1. 

Not true. Windows 8.1 was provided as a free update to Windows 8 users. It should be available in the app store. 

1 minute ago, Dot Matrix said:

Not true. Windows 8.1 was provided as a free update to Windows 8 users. It should be available in the app store. 

In that case, this thread may help the OP to install Windows 8.1 from a clean ISO: http://superuser.com/questions/661261/windows-8-1-fresh-install-with-windows-8-licence

Technet keys are for evaluation purposes only.

• Like 3

From my research, for business you have to PURCHASE Windows 8.1. It's not a free update. Am I wrong?

If Enterprise is being used or Pro machines are connected to a domain then you'd have to either upgrade using media or reinstall. If not connected to a domain, pro upgrades are free. You have to purchase legitimate licenses anyway as from what you have told us, you're unlicensed.

10 minutes ago, patseguin said:

From the way you describe it, you're not setup with any kind of business domain. So if the computers are individually managed, then no. Home and Pro should be able to update from the store. 

3 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

From the way you describe it, you're not setup with any kind of business domain. So if the computers are individually managed, then no. Home and Pro should be able to update from the store. 

No, it is a domain with a Windows 2008 Server. Technically, each workstation was purchased with Windows 7 so they are licensed. I just used the Technet keys for convenience because I've long since lost the paperwork with the keys.

WIndows 8.1 is not an option without purchasing and if I were able to do that I would just purchase Windows 10 anyways.

What EXACTLY about the START screen is he having a problem with?  All you do is type what you are looking for.  Then pin it.  Done.  Just unpin what you don't want.

Classic Shell can remove the START screen and give you back a menu, just like Windows 7.  Also, someone mentioned Start8.  Haven't used it, but same concept.  Classic Shell is free and they have a GPO available, as well.

I agree that it's a shocking departure from Win7, but in reality, it's does the some thing as the Start Menu.   Win 10 is a cross between the two.