Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?

Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Have you Bought any Refurbished Items?

• YES - Comment your purchase
    • NO - State your reasons

2 hours ago, Nik L said:

That's just great, but like I say the term is being incorrectly used by online sellers, and as such I don't give a rat's ass about the OED definition when it comes to my purchases.

The thing  is refurbished items are usually defective when they go back to Manufacturers. They then repair them, clean them, and make them look like new. Hence refurbished. 

Refurbished items can be over-stocked too. But refurbished is no other word for "over stock". 

1 minute ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

The thing  is refurbished items are usually defective when they go back to Manufacturers. They then repair them, clean them, and make them look like new. Hence refurbished. 

Refurbished items can be over-stocked too. But refurbished is no other word for "over stock". 

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of times where all refurbished means is that they wiped the hard-drive and did a factory reset.  Put some new plastic wrap on it, polished it up and called it a day.  Refurbs can be products returned by customers within their 14-30 days try it period.

Just now, firey said:

Not necessarily.  There are plenty of times where all refurbished means is that they wiped the hard-drive and did a factory reset.  

That only applies to may be Hard-Drives. What about other electronics; Phones, TV's, Consoles, MB's, etc...

Just now, firey said:

Put some new plastic wrap on it, polished it up and called it a day.  Refurbs can be products returned by customers within their 14-30 days try it period.

Now that's called re-packaging. 

I always wonder why people return items? I mean I have personally returned items but they had defects; Laptop, Mice, Gaming Controllers, Printer in recent times.

3 minutes ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Now that's called re-packaging. 

I always wonder why people return items? I mean I have personally returned items but they had defects; Laptop, Mice, Gaming Controllers, Printer in recent times.

Yes, but they consider it refurbishing as it has already been taken out, and used.   People return items for various reasons, computer doesn't have the power they thought,  phone doesn't have the apps they want.  Appliance doesn't fit properly. Plenty of different reasons. 

58 minutes ago, firey said:

I've bought refurbished things.  I don't do it often, but my laptop was a refurb it works perfectly well.  It just wasn't powerful enough for the previous owner.

Was it sent back to the manufacturer by the previous owner for warranty because something broke in it & needed to be replaced?  If not, and the owner just sold it to you, then it's used and not a refurb.

1 minute ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

Was it sent back to the manufacturer by the previous owner for warranty because something broke in it & needed to be replaced?  If not, and the owner just sold it to you, then it's used and not a refurb.

No, it was returned to the store where they wiped it, factory reset, put new plastic wrap and re-boxed it.  Was considered refurbished by the store.

A few items, a Transformer TF300  from newegg awhile back just because I wanted to mess with a android tablet some used it some for about 3 months, sat around more than that and gave it to my mom because after talking with my sisters she wanted to try a tablet. (worked and still working fine) also a few open box items from newegg, laptop a few years ago I gave my dad (refurb and open box he still uses it some but has new one now), a LCD I got for a friend, maybe a few other items I can't think of right now but no major issues.

Just now, firey said:

No, it was returned to the store where they wiped it, factory reset, put new plastic wrap and re-boxed it.  Was considered refurbished by the store.

That's not a refurb, that is used.

43 minutes ago, Thomas the Tank Engine said:

That's not a refurb, that is used.

Was considered refurbished by the store.  I consider it used as well, that said refurbished doesn't always mean replacing something.

1 hour ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

Keep posting what you want to post to backup your original assumption, you're only attempting to prove a point to yourself.  My electronic gear that literally had never seen the light of day is proof of what I'm saying - but doesn't suit your agenda.

23 minutes ago, firey said:

Was considered refurbished by the store.  I consider it used as well, that said refurbished doesn't always mean replacing something.

Having worked in a computer store that sold refurbs, anything that is replaced in the item by the manufacturer is a refurb; just because the store repackaged it, does not make it a refurb.

4 hours ago, Nik L said:

Keep posting what you want to post to backup your original assumption, you're only attempting to prove a point to yourself.  My electronic gear that literally had never seen the light of day is proof of what I'm saying - but doesn't suit your agenda.

I do understand that you don't want to accept the fact that you had been buying repaired and re-packaged electronics which you think were overstocked items lol... :p

I buy refurbished goods if the discount is significant enough and if it meets certain conditions: manufacturer refurbished, returns or non-used goods, things I can easily fix.

There's certain things that I just wouldn't buy or trust as refurbished goods. Specifically goods that I need to rely on like hard drives, medical equipment (ie, blood sugar meter), helmets, etc.

8 hours ago, Nik L said:

That's just great, but like I say the term is being incorrectly used by online sellers, and as such I don't give a rat's ass about the OED definition when it comes to my purchases.

I've heard the term refurbished way before the internet was a public thing... We always had refurbished products and cars, refurbished in a product sense means to make new again, which is similar to the dictionary definition of renovations close but eh it's close enough

My wifes current laptop. I was replacing the screen, I posted this in another thread I made. Cracking the touchscreen glass, I bought on Ebay the EXACT same model she had then. albeit it was refurbished I think by Toshiba and installed with an OEM version of Windows 10 home. class dismissed.

5 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Bought refurb PC's at work.  Not had a problem with them.

we never bought refurbished at work, but we have been given refurbished products under warranty... Lenovo under warranty replaced a motherboard in one of our laptops, we use lojack which ties the Processor ID etc to their system... got our system back with a new mobo, tried to install lojack here they put a motherboard from another system that had lojack on it already... absolute software refused to let us use lojack and they reported us to the original motherboard owner's company as stolen.. ugh... our system serial number was the same since the case and everything else stayed the same but the motherboard they pulled out of another system that was returned and that caused that mess....

5 minutes ago, DoctorD said:

Just picked up 2 Arris cable modems for customers refurbed for less than $65 for both with a year warranty.

there's another thing you have to be careful with... for example Comcast, they let customer owned modems on their network, one breaks gets refurbished and put back out... even though the customer got a new modem Comcast leaves the darn MAC addresses in their system as being used..... then someone else on the same network buys that refurb and cant get it activated because "it's already active in our system"......:rolleyes:

I purchase refurbished computers all the time. They are primarily used for packing stations at work in a warehouse environment. I also purchase "better" refurbished HP's for the actual office "pc refresh".

For under $400 bucks 8 gigs of ram, i7 2600, and an Evo 850 SSD, the HP 8200/8300 run exceptionally well.

Management is happy with the price. Employees are SUPER happy about the performance.

Makes me look good.

No need for warranties because there is plenty of spare parts to go around.

Depends on the price and condition, but yeah, I don't mind buying refurbs from time to to time. 

I also like to repair things myself. Most recently I got an otherwise mint Xbox One controller for £10.

Just a few minutes with a screwdriver and some epoxy, and the thumbstick was good as new. :D

Took a chance on that one, but it would have been worth it just for the spare parts either way.

EVGA GTX550Ti (desktop GPU) and Sound Blaster Recon3D Fata1ity Champion (desktop sound card) - both are factory-refurb models purchased at MicroCenter in Rockville, MD; both are still going strong over two years and a year and a half later respectively.  I've been known to grab overstocks and closeouts, too (my only plasma - and first widescreen - HDTV - a Philips 42" CableCARD-supporting model - was one such - the ONLY issue, oddly, was with the CableCARD support, which never worked) - the issue is typically NOT with closeouts, overstocks, or refurbs (especially factory refurbs).  The biggest issue tends to be with third-party refurbs (which I avoid) and shady resellers (got burned once on Amazon).

I prefer Open box or amazon's warehouse deals over refurbs.. most of the time it was just a box damaged in the warehouse or an item that was returned in perfect condition if you select "used -  like new"

20 hours ago, LUTZIFER said:

NO. I only buy brand new stuff. I don't buy anything second-hand.

Why, just cuz, and I can afford anything I want anyways.

Yet you buy an Acer tablet

Tablet: Acer Iconia A1-830

14 hours ago, Abalabakubulogu said:

I do understand that you don't want to accept the fact that you had been buying repaired and re-packaged electronics which you think were overstocked items lol... :p

Yeah, keep posting.  Thing is - I own these items and can 100% verify that they are BRAND NEW.  But hey, don't let first-person knowledge derail your nonsense