RAF Jets Fly On Baltic Policing Mission

3 hours ago, Mirumir said:

How often do you hear about a NATO/US ships or planes coming close to Russia's borders?

Read a map. Those waters are international, not Russia's private pond. As it is the US has said our rules of engagement would have allowed our ships commander & aircraft to splash Russia's planes. Next time they, and their base,  may not be so lucky.

2 minutes ago, DocM said:

Read a map. Those waters are international, not Russia's private pond. As it is the US has said our rules of engagement would have allowed our ships commander & aircraft to splash Russia's planes. Next time they, and their base,  may not be so lucky.

What you are saying is that it's ok for U.S. ships to be there, while denying the same to Russian planes in international airspace. Double-standards?

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

What you are saying is that it's ok for U.S. ships to be there, while denying the same to Russian planes in international airspace. Double-standards?

The problem isn't that Russian planes are there, it's that Russian planes are using that area to continuously nudge at the airspace of other nations. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeChipshop said:

The problem isn't that Russian planes are there, it's that Russian planes are using that area to continuously nudge at the airspace of other nations. 

The same can be said about US/NATO ships "nudge" at the Russian airspace.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Absolutely. I never once said they didn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

We both nudge each other's borders, all the time.  It's nothing new and has been going on since the start of the cold war and beyond.  Denying it is useless so why do you even bother?  OP article is a complete waste of space and is just the media looking for something to print on a slow news day.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mirumir said:

File under "NATO needs a boogeyman to justify its very existence".

4 Typhoons to cover all Baltic states?  That's laughable.  I wish them good luck.

Btw, for those that don't know, these "incursions" are there to test each other's radar capabilities and response times.  It's been happening for decades now but the ironic thing is that Western planes do it on a much, much more frequent interval.  It makes sense because Russia is very large.  So much for those crying about "Russian aggression."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

The Russians aren't nudging airspace, they're buzzinbg ships at <10 meters which is way closer than safety margins allow. One nervous twitch and that plane is in the ships bridge and people start shooting.

54 minutes ago, DocM said:

The Russians aren't nudging airspace, they're buzzinbg ships at <10 meters which is way closer than safety margins allow. One nervous twitch and that plane is in the ships bridge and people start shooting.

If the Russian planes were flying close to the American border, you could've had a point.

American ships in international waters. 

Maybe we should send a few F-22's or Warthogs to do a supersonic buzz of some Russian ships in the area? Or have a cruise missile do a flyby?

That's what this crap can lead to with one provocation too many. 

Edited by DocM

Awe, the US shouldn't be such a crybaby.  American airplanes have flown close to both Russian ships and planes before.  Perhaps American ships can go sail near, you know, American borders?  

On 5/3/2016 at 9:26 AM, Gary7 said:

They buzz our warships all of the time, we ignore it. Putin is not stupid, he does not want a war that he cannot win.

They have been buzzing a lot lately.  But nothing really knew from what went on during the cold war.  Russia is just trying to intimidate others trying to make a name for themselves again.  And what was it, a couple years ago or so they came close to the coast of Alaska and said happy holidays...or something like that.   One of these times tho, something bad is going to happen.

On 5/3/2016 at 0:44 PM, DocM said:

American ships in international waters. 

Maybe we should send a few F-22's or Warthogs to do a supersonic buzz of some Russian ships in the area? Or have a cruise missile do a flyby?

That's what this crap can lead to with one provocation too many. 

Some of the recent flybys were as close as 30 - 50 feet.  Really hope nothing bad comes out of this.  Last thing we need is another war.

On 5/3/2016 at 2:59 AM, Riva said:

Typhoon vs. the PAK FA... good luck

Except the T-50 PAK-FA is only a tech demo jet and not in full production yet so, no. F-22's are already making rounds.

http://www.janes.com/article/58166/singapore-airshow-2016-analysis-pak-fa-s-asian-export-hopes-stymied-by-lack-of-fifth-generation-qualities

https://warisboring.com/the-indians-hate-their-new-russian-made-stealth-fighter-d89b9ce721de#.sys9d3ex9

Edited by Morisato

All in all if you look at a non-biased perspective and not from one side you'll see both sides are aggressive to some degree by prodding near each others air space limits. US is especially aggressive in the prodding near South China Sea and the Baltic Sea while Russia near the Pacific Coast and US allied countries. There is no real 'good' guy in the proxy wars both sides do. Pity we can't all work together for a better world but alas human nature is self-destruction.

http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-us-relations-update-navy-chief-says-moscows-actions-baltic-sea-raised-tensions-2363119

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Morisato said:

All in all if you look at a non-biased perspective and not from one side you'll see both sides are aggressive to some degree by prodding near each others air space limits. US is especially aggressive in the prodding near South China Sea and the Baltic Sea while Russia near the Pacific Coast and US allied countries. There is no real 'good' guy in the proxy wars both sides do. Pity we can't all work together for a better world but alas human nature is self-destruction.

http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-us-relations-update-navy-chief-says-moscows-actions-baltic-sea-raised-tensions-2363119

Yea, they all do this.  But 30-50 feet flybys is taking it to far.  No matter who is doing it.  All it takes is one stupid mistake from one country to start an international incident.

And human suck and agree, self destructive.  I often wish I could move out in the middle of no where and not think about all this crap.  If I could afford to do so, I probably would.  Of course, would still need a laptop and satellite internet from time to time....I know to many people here would miss me  :p

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yea, they all do this.  But 30-50 feet flybys is taking it to far.  No matter who is doing it.  All it takes is one stupid mistake from one country to start an international incident.

And human suck and agree, self destructive.  I often wish I could move out in the middle of no where and not think about all this crap.  If I could afford to do so, I probably would.  Of course, would still need a laptop and satellite internet from time to time....I know to many people here would miss me  :p

Don't leave us :cry: Take us with you!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jack W said:

Don't leave us :cry: Take us with you!

haha, kinda defeats the purpose!   Older I get, the more and more I dislike my fellow man.  Nothing against anyone here.  But more and more the world is getting worse when it should be getting better.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 0:33 AM, Jack W said:

Four RAF Typhoon Jets have been put on 24/7 standby, allowing them to respond to Quick Reaction Alerts. This means that, in the event of any aggression from Russia, the jets can be launched immediately, and will cover the Baltic states, including:

• Latvia
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania

The jets will be able to take off at a moments notice.

This isn't the first time the RAF has been involved in the Baltic policing:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-jets-fly-on-baltic-policing-mission-29042016

this is horse manure, reports were that another long line of fuel tankers from ISIS were bombed. but what your news isn't telling you is, ISIS, you know the terrorist group?, is sending trucks of fuel/oil to Turkey for money. so russia is doing what Weakling Obama won't or can't do.

old story but same storyline

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/ISIS-Threat/Russia-releases-video-of-air-strikes-on-ISIS-oil-tankers-facilities-438548

On 5/3/2016 at 11:19 AM, DocM said:

Come on now, everyone knows that Russia is no in the wrong here, they have never done anything wrong, and currently are guilty of nothing.  This is all American propaganda designed to gain support for the US...

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Come on now, everyone knows that Russia is no in the wrong here, they have never done anything wrong, and currently are guilty of nothing.  This is all American propaganda designed to gain support for the US...

It'll be real interesting come 2021-2022 when the US starts arming combat aircraft, ships and drones with tactical lasers. No radar or smoke traces etc.

"Hey, he was buzzing us, lost it and screwed himself into the deck."

• Like 1