RAF Jets Fly On Baltic Policing Mission

2 hours ago, DocM said:

It'll be real interesting come 2021-2022 when the US starts arming combat aircraft, ships and drones with tactical lasers. No radar or smoke traces etc.

"Hey, he was buzzing us, lost it and screwed himself into the deck."

See, this is part of the problem, the aggressive attitude. You're basically just saying there that the US will start shooting down planes because no one will be able to tell it's them.

If planes suddenly start crashing with no apparent cause, do you really think the Russian's won't know exactly who's doing it?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

See, this is part of the problem, the aggressive attitude. You're basically just saying there that the US will start shooting down planes because no one will be able to tell it's them.

If planes suddenly start crashing with no apparent cause, do you really think the Russian's won't know exactly who's doing it?

No, I'm just being snarky about the provocative, immature and reckless attitude the Russians have exhibited.

They assume the subjects of their maneuvers will continue to just sit back and take it, which is a dangerous risk given the standing US rules of engagement (as noted by a DoD spokesman, and is known by Russia) allow firing on an aircraft doing aggressive maneuvers near our ships.

One example is coming in fast at low aktitude as if preparing to launch an air to ship missile, which they've done. Playing with fire gets you burned. 

And if you think the US isn't just as guilty of exactly the same thing, I've got this lovely old bridge to sell you... Collectors item, for real!

• Like 1

And?  I'm not saying the Russians aren't doing this. I'm saying you're naive in the extreme if you don't think YOUR armed forces aren't doing exactly the same thing.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

this is horse manure

Or male cow excrements of the rarest kind.

1 hour ago, DocM said:

No, I'm just being snarky about the provocative, immature and reckless attitude the Russians have exhibited.

They assume the subjects of their maneuvers will continue to just sit back and take it, which is a dangerous risk given the standing US rules of engagement (as noted by a DoD spokesman, and is known by Russia) allow firing on an aircraft doing aggressive maneuvers near our ships.

One example is coming in fast at low aktitude as if preparing to launch an air to ship missile, which they've done. Playing with fire gets you burned. 

How dare Russia have interests and send ships to patrol its border!

Let me remind you that it wasn't Russia that started sending recon flights over her WWII ally immediately after the war.

Until the Soviet Union shot down a U-2 plane, which wasn't "nudging" at the Soviet airspace, but flying inside it, the American partners refused to get the message. The Soviet Government had been patient for far too long.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Just like these Tornado's are doing.  And if you believe these are only patrol missions on either side, you are an absolute fool.

On 03/05/2016 at 11:19 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

They fly close enough that the RAF scrambles a couple of jets to ward them off. As soon as they make radar contact, the Russians usually veer off. They've been doing this for decades, so this article is really nothing new at all.  It's SOP.

It's interesting that these exercises seem to be getting so much press these days. I remember reading about something like this around a year ago and when you look into it, they've been doing this pretty regularly since the cold war. I guess with everything going on with Russia it's more newsworthy as people are more likely to believe the sensationalism that our wonderful media love to publish.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skiver said:

It's interesting that these exercises seem to be getting so much press these days. I remember reading about something like this around a year ago and when you look into it, they've been doing this pretty regularly since the cold war. I guess with everything going on with Russia it's more newsworthy as people are more likely to believe the sensationalism that our wonderful media love to publish.

First, it is the silly season—American elections—and bear baiting is an easy way to look “tough.”

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

Its not about flying to patrol its border . I its about how close they are coming and doing unsafe things.  But I guess coming within 30-50 feet out of vessels is not unsafe according to some. 

No on here is saying they cannot patrol their boarders and no on here has a problem with that.  They are obviously being ###### here and all you seem to do is defend their actions or twist it like people are having an issue with them paroling their boarders.  US does dick moves as well as China and many other countries.   No one is innocent of this and countries are acting like idiots, including your mother Russia.

27 minutes ago, techbeck said:

US does dick moves as well 

A nice setting of examples from the leader of the world.

3 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Take one little comment about US I made and that is what you reply on.  Funny.  Russia is guilty of plenty.  Stop being so blind.  And most logical thinking and clear thinking people here know US, or anyone, is not perfect and in the clear here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

A nice setting of examples from someone who would like to BE the leader of the world.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2016 at 7:19 PM, DocM said:

The Russians aren't nudging airspace, they're buzzinbg ships at <10 meters which is way closer than safety margins allow. One nervous twitch and that plane is in the ships bridge and people start shooting.

Actually, if you recall, a NATO country shot down a Russian jet fighting terrorists in Syria last fall.

Did the U.S. put a leash on one if its dogs? How did Russia respond? Where did the cool heads actually prevail? And who is the one exhibiting problems with the nerves?

16 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Actually, if you recall, a NATO country shot down a Russian jet fighting terrorists in Syria last fall.

Did the U.S. put a leash on one if its dogs? How did Russia respond? Where did the cool heads actually prevail? And who is the one exhibiting problems with the nerves?

Do you mean the jet that Turkey shot down for illegally trespassing in its airspace?  Yeah, well, serves the pilot right, doesn't it?  And for that, you call them dogs? Nice...

20 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Man you're totally brainwashed to point of scary, aren't you?

14 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Yes, last year Russia were a shining beacon of peaceful foreign policy 

/s

But... But... Everyone knows it was perfectly legal for them to invade and annex (steal) part of a neighbouring country on the pretence that they were protecting "ethnic Russians" from the rebels they were supplying and funding! 

*more /s

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Do you mean the jet that Turkey shot down for illegally trespassing in its airspace?  Yeah, well, serves the pilot right, doesn't it?  And for that, you call them dogs? Nice...

Are you defending the supporters of terrorists now?

It was a backstab. They had known about the mission in advance. And even if you believe the Turkish side, the Russian plane was in their airspace for mere seconds.

Talk about a nervous twitch.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

But... But... Everyone knows it was perfectly legal for them to invade and annex (steal) part of a neighbouring country on the pretence that they were protecting "ethnic Russians" from the rebels they were supplying and funding! 

*more /s

The Ukraine ceased to exist when a western-sponsored unconstitutional coup happened there.

Still waiting for the pix of the actual Russian army in Donbass.

The Ukraine ceased to exist when a western-sponsored unconstitutional coup happened there.

Whilst I might agree that the current standing government isn't the constitutionally voted for government, revolutions happen. They've taken control and ARE the legal government, and are the one the Ukrainian people seem to want.

Still waiting for the pix of the actual Russian army in Donbass.

I guess your Russian news sources censored all the pics.

31 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Are you defending the supporters of terrorists now?

It was a backstab. They had known about the mission in advance. And even if you believe the Turkish side, the Russian plane was in their airspace for mere seconds.

Talk about a nervous twitch.

Personally, I think Turkish government should be dropped into a big hole and buried alive, but that's irrelevant. The Turks insist the Russians did not have permission to enter their territory, therefore they were within their rights to shoot it down.  You would insist on no less for anyone entering Russian airspace, and rightly so.

And if it was mere seconds, there wouldn't have been time to target, fire and hit the plane, all whilst it was in Turkish airspace.  It was there for far longer.