Huel? Anyone tried this alternative to food?

I was watching a YouTube video and it was partly sponsored by this company called 'Huel' (I believe they are UK-based). It is a powdered food product intended to be an alternative to standard meals, except it gives you all the nutritional recommendations set by the UK and EU.

https://huel.com/

Before I go and order 28 meals of it, I just wanted to know if anyone here has tried it and has any opinion? :) 

1 minute ago, Michael Scrip said:

Is it made out of people?

:D 

Haha no :p But it does have some interesting ingredients:

Huel is made from real food. It contains a carefully chosen blend of pea and rice protein, oats, flaxseed, sunflower seeds, and coconut:

Ultra Fine Oats

Rice Protein

Pea Protein

Flaxseed

MCTs from Coconut

Sunflower Lecithin

Vitamin & Mineral Blend

Vanilla Flavour & Sweetner  (Not in the Unflavoured & Unsweetened version)

Just now, Gary7 said:

I prefer real food.

I'm just considering using this for meals at work. According to Huel, it will cost around £1.60/meal if I buy 28 meals. So £1.60 for a meal at work, isn't bad at all. I'm just hesitant spending just over £40 on 28 meals of this stuff and ending up with it not being too great.

2 minutes ago, Active. said:

Is this the same as Soylent?

Slightly different ingredients I think, but it seems to be a similar product (different company, though). Have you used Soylent? What's that like? :)

3 minutes ago, Active. said:

Not sure I'm prepared to try it. Just remembered reading a few articles about it some time ago.

Ah okay. Looking at those articles, these might be two of the same type of products with completely different ingredients. I might just order the 100g sample and see how it is. :o 

8 minutes ago, Buttus said:

i would eat it.  I wonder if it's here in the US.  i'm going to look.

From what I can see, Huel do ship to the US, if you pay a little more.

I was looking at it a little while ago, but haven't tried it. I would be interested in hearing what it's like, if you pull the trigger - if it's good, I'd probably be pushed over the edge and order some for myself.

Just now, Simon said:

I was looking at it a little while ago, but haven't tried it. I would be interested in hearing what it's like, if you pull the trigger - if it's good, I'd probably be pushed over the edge and order some for myself.

Will likely give it a shot. Just spent some time going through their forum, most people have positive things to say, and those who say negative are either taking too much of it or haven't given their body a couple weeks to adjust.

9 minutes ago, what said:

Sounds dreadful. I'll stick to real food.

I can see why. That's my normal way of thinking. Anything such as protein shakes etc, I've avoided... for some reason though, Huel is interesting to me.

I could see it for snacks.  Some days I'm too busy for a real lunch break and could see getting something like this then.

I make my own.    Colostrum + Fiber blend, with vitamin pill.   or Help protein with coconut oil + greens power.  Or berry powder with pine nuts. Or Banana with whey and pomegrate powder.

I have freeze dried fruit and veggies powders.  Various oils. Different protein powders.

As for Huel, I would not want the EXACT same blend everyday at lunch, I like VARIETY.    Also, I am not sure I trust where the vitamins are coming from.

My way is more expansive, but I do get amazing variety, and I do have a new shake to try everyday. With a bunch of different ingredients and combinations.

18 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

I could see it for snacks.  Some days I'm too busy for a real lunch break and could see getting something like this then.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning to use it for - lunch at work. It works out cheaper and is easier (and healthier).

2 minutes ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

I make my own.    Colostrum + Fiber blend, with vitamin pill.   or Help protein with coconut oil + greens power.  Or berry powder with pine nuts. Or Banana with whey and pomegrate powder.

I have freeze dried fruit and veggies powders.  Various oils. Different protein powders.

As for Huel, I would not want the EXACT same blend everyday at lunch, I like VARIETY.    Also, I am not sure I trust where the vitamins are coming from.

My way is more expansive, but I do get amazing variety, and I do have a new shake to try everyday. With a bunch of different ingredients and combinations.

Huel also have an unflavoured version, where you can put your own things in... but I think I'll stick to Vanilla if I do get it, at least to get me started. I don't really have the time to be making my own all the time, and also see this as a cost saving measure.

Yeah. I meant Expensive.Those organic freeze dried powders are great nutrition but they dont come cheap.

But it is 3 minutes to make, no matter how many ingredients you choose.

Super time saving. I have them instead of breakfast so i dont have to get up too early. And for lunch so i dont waste time. I have proper food for dinner.

However i had to try a lot of brands before i settled. Spending a lot of cash.

Hemp protein can be terrible or great. Same for coconut oil and every other ingredient... You have to find a brand you like and trust.

11 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Yeah. I meant Expensive.Those organic freeze dried powders are great nutrition but they dont come cheap.

But it is 3 minutes to make, no matter how many ingredients you choose.

Super time saving. I have them instead of breakfast so i dont have to get up too early. And for lunch so i dont waste time. I have proper food for dinner.

However i had to try a lot of brands before i settled. Spending a lot of cash.

Hemp protein can be terrible or great. Same for coconut oil and every other ingredient... You have to find a brand you like and trust.

Bad habit.. I usually skip breakfast on work days. This might be the cure for that. :p

Just now, Jack W said:

Bad habit.. I usually skip breakfast on work days. This might be the cure for that. :p

Actually, breakfast is the most important mean, so you better get your scheisse together man. 

I get the most nutrition from my breakfast, even if it is powder and supplemental pills (theanine, cordyceps, good! vit+min pill, etc....)

i might take another shake for lunch.  and at the evening i just eat normal food.    i cannot recommend that way, since i stuff myself.  but because of healthy and nutrition filled (and calorie empty) breakfast and lunch,...  i am still losing wheight

What's your motivation here?  I will comment that it it's any kind of dietary desire (such as weight loss), you know what works really well?

Real food.  Kill the junk and cook things fresh.  Lost a shedload that way :)

15 minutes ago, Nik L said:

What's your motivation here?  I will comment that it it's any kind of dietary desire (such as weight loss), you know what works really well?

Real food.  Kill the junk and cook things fresh.  Lost a shedload that way :)

Putting weight on. :) My metabolism is, well, not satisfactory. I need something that will make it much easier to actually put weight on, because real food thus far, has not worked out.